PDA

View Full Version : Trailer ride quality without boat?

b66cf
04-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Not something that I have ever done before, but I left my 07 LSV in the water overnight, and pulled my empty trailer (single axle Boatmate) back home maybe 4-5 miles. If I would get over 20-25MPH, the trailer would start bouncing up and down so much that the brakes would kick in when it hit the ground, skidding the tires, making for a long slow drive.

Is that pretty typical for such a heavily sprung trailer when it has no load? Never done it before, so not sure what I should have expected. The ride is ok with the boat on - there's a little wobbliness, but nothing too bad, especially above 40mph.

I did notice that one of the Goodyear Marathon tires (since under a "silent" recall) has some tread separation, so hoping maybe that's the cause. Will be getting a new tire soon (not another Goodyear) in any case, just wanted to know if others had similar poor ride experience, and what else to look for.

11 Outback V
04-04-2012, 07:35 PM
The trailer should have somewhat poor ride quality when not loaded but not as badf as you describe. I have towed my boatmate trailer empty on the highway without any problems.
I would definitely check that tire. If that doesnt fix it check the springs(torsion)

moombadaze
04-04-2012, 07:40 PM
once towed my double axle trailer empty about 6 miles-smooth as it was with the boat on it

is your trailer sitting level?

evoimport6
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Any link to so called "silent recall"?

lsvboombox
04-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Have heard horroe stories about goodyear marathons but i dont think i tire would do that. My trailer is very bouncy(single axle) without a boat but i can drive as fast as i want, no brakes ever come on

b66cf
04-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replies - the bouncing seemed excessive, so it is good to hear that others can get to highway speed without these issues. I also found it a little hard to believe that just one tire with a little tread separation could cause such a bad ride, so I hope to get a chance to try it again after I get a new tire to see if that fixes it.

Mention of checking the torsion springs - how would I do that?

The trailer does sit level side to side, but with a little bit of the tires bowing out - camber. But it seems to be pretty consistent with what I have seen on the other single axle Boatmates with LSVs on them. To me, all of them look like they are pretty overwhelmed by the weight of that boat on a single axle.

The GY Marathon "silent recall" seems to be sort of an urban legend, but if you google it you can find some info. Here's one sample link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/goodyear-has-silent-recall-36065.html Reading some of these stories, and seeing the tread separation on mine, is enough to make me try another brand.

Mikey
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Seems kinda normal,except for the excessive braking. Running with tires pumped up and unloaded ,my trailer bounces a bit as well,but without braking unless a big bump or something. As for the tires , Most trailer tires are CRAP. Ever since most trailer tires in particular ,started getting outsourced to China. According to my local tire guy. Goodyear marathons were once rated as a good tire,sadly no more. Kinda a crap shoot though as most tires for trailers are from CHINA. As for the Camber that is normal as well...

jmvotto
04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
My trailer is very bouncy(single axle) without a boat but i can drive as fast as i want, no brakes ever come on

X 2. I trail mine 60 miles twice a year no problems at 60 mph. Gets a little bouncy unloaded but nothing to worry about

zabooda
04-05-2012, 02:11 AM
I would expect a bouncy trailer as there is no weight to keep the trtailer on the road and a tire with seperation is probably out of round and causing issues also. I would recommend replacing the tire soon.

moombadaze
04-05-2012, 07:07 AM
thinking more about it, bad tire, stiff suspension for weight carrying, and no boat on it could do exactly what your experiancing, I'd get all tires replaced as soon as possible. Nothing worse than a trailer tire blow out, well one thing would be worse, haveing a trailer tire blow out and knowing you had a bad tire before hand and could have prevented it. either way would be a sucky day.

KSmith
04-05-2012, 07:09 AM
You might want to jack up the trailer and try and spin each wheel. I'm wondering if perhaps a sticky brake could be contributing to the problem.

jpetty3023
04-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Yes you should always check your fluid level in the trailer. Lesson learned