PDA

View Full Version : Water Strainer

smak
06-18-2005, 09:01 PM
hi guys.....having problem getting the water strainer off.....any suggestion be a great help....its only about 15% dirty but like to keep ahead of the dirt and keep it running cool....thanks in advance ......smak

smak
06-19-2005, 09:49 AM
sweet thanks EdG.......I should hav added its on our new 05 Outback and never been off b4....we will try it.....smak

clark
06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
The first time I took mine off I had to use a tool I bought that is like a plastic pipe wrench with a rubber strap. Easy to use and can get one at Wal-Mart. Works great.

Clark

smak
06-21-2005, 06:36 PM
yes.....called my dealer (he's 1.5hr away)....said like an oil filter wrench to try....i will shortly....thanks boys.....smak

clark
06-21-2005, 07:58 PM
That's the one... works like a charm.

Warning,,, make sure you go slow putting it back on, sometimes, the screen bends if you don't get it on just right.

Clark

mobiusLSV05
06-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey all, call me stupid, but is the water strainer you are all talking about the one under my seat behind the controls for the ballast system. I was told this strains the water entering the ballast tanks, what else is this used for? Is it also the intake strainer for the engine? Just curious

smak
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
ummmm......i hav a 05 Outback.....it strains (keeps junk out) water b4 it enter the engine to keep it running cool.....our strainer is in the engine compartment area.....no i havenot tried it yet but wil asap ...... keep u posted....smak

clark
06-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Depends. There is a strainer for the ballast and if you got it as an option, there is one for the engine. You will be able to tell the difference. The following is for the LSV only. The one of the ballast is easier to access from the engine compartment. It is only approx. 2 1/2 inches in diameter and is located just to the left of the motor when looking from the back seat. The strainer to keep trash out of the engine located just behind the pumps for the ballast and is easy to access when you remove the cover under the rear seat that covers the v-drive. It is about the size of an oil filter.

I can not speak for the Outback or LS models. I am sure the one for the engine would be under the engine cover and probably the same size as the one on the LSV (oil filter size).

Hope this helps.

Clark

smak
06-25-2005, 05:23 PM
hi everyone......did it this morning with my daughter supervising and an oil filter wrench....no problems once I figured which way to turn it....."lefty lucy rightie tightie".....smak

Lpfeil
06-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Ok everyone, I hope this does'nt sound to stupid !! I've purchased a water strainer to install on my 2004 Outback, I know the strainer attaches to the inlet hose before the pump. Ok I cut the house under the exhaust manifold on the left side of the motor, does the strainer mount somewhere or just hang on the hose ? If it mounts somewhere or attaches to something , would someone take a picture and e-mail to me at [email protected]

Thanks for any help.

Larry

Buttafewcoe
06-26-2005, 04:04 AM
Mine is held up by the through hull fitting, then the hose attaches to the end it. If yours has the barbs on both ends, I think it may just hang there. Make sure its not going to rub against anything.
Hope this helps
Jim

Flatwater
06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Lpfeil

On the Outback, make sure you install before the tranny cooler. Sometimes you need to wire strap the strainer to the exhaust hose to keep it from banging around. This job is easy compared to installing on a v-drive. Good luck

EUSTACE
06-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Flatwater, on the Direct Drives is it installed with straight or 90° barbed fittings in and out of the strainer?

Thanks, E

Flatwater
07-03-2005, 09:57 AM
All the strainers that I have seen have the 90's on them. You generally would want the unit to be sitting up and down or the bowl on the bottom. Hope that helps.