PDA

View Full Version : Dash Lights

05moombalsv
04-03-2012, 01:22 AM
I am wanting to change my dash light color on my 2011 lsv, has anyone done this on a 2011?

11 Outback V
04-03-2012, 05:37 AM
I did on my 11 OBV. The only ones I didnt change were on the cruise. I will try to find some pics of the finished product. Was fairly easy to do

wolfeman131
04-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Yes, quite a few did this a few years ago. I did not, so hopefully they will chime in with first-hand advice. From what I remember, after you get yourself crammed & contorted under the dash, it's a quick twist to get the old bulb out and again to get the new bulb in. I think one of the sites they ordered from was this one:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/led_prods.htm&gclid=CMTt4pzMmK8CFQUGnQodtSyiLw

bergermaister
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Yep - should be all 194 style bulbs. On the back of each gauge - twist and pull out bulb housing/holder - yank out old bulb, push in new.

IIRC bigger gauges on mine took 2 bulbs, smaller gauges just one.

I did find some of the 194 style from SuperBrightLeds a little finicky with making a good contact for some reason. Flipped them around in the bulb housing and seemed to help.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Yep - should be all 194 style bulbs. On the back of each gauge - twist and pull out bulb housing/holder - yank out old bulb, push in new.

IIRC bigger gauges on mine took 2 bulbs, smaller gauges just one.

I did find some of the 194 style from SuperBrightLeds a little finicky with making a good contact for some reason. Flipped them around in the bulb housing and seemed to help.

Which type did you purchase? Looks like they have polarized/non-polarized and they range from $2.00 a pop to around $7 a pop.

bergermaister
04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I went with the smallest - the WLED-x-x and were $.79 a piece so not bad at all. I was worried about them being too big for the opening or too bright and being distracting but they're really not. Could have safely gone a bump or two up and been fine but the next few sizes up didn't advertise the wide angle until the WLED-5x one that is 220 degrees but then they were at $3 a pop.

Be curious to see how much brighter they are and if they'd be too much. I think you want to go non polarized too.

11 Outback V
04-04-2012, 03:12 PM
I went with the WLED-x5 they were 3.74 ea and I needed 10.
I havent used the boat at night so I dont know if they are "too bright.
They were a little tricky to get in the old hole but it can be done

wolfeman131
04-04-2012, 09:10 PM
They were a little tricky to get in the old hole but it can be done

Call Dusty's Mom if you have this problem.

Clamcakes
04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Replacing those lights in my 09 LSV was a PITA!! I couldn't get needle nose pliers to twist them out. Finally said F' it and took the gauges out. Probably the easiest way to do it. Just remember to do 1 gauge at a time.

wakeflip
04-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Why buy new bulbs? I took the bUlbs out of all my gauges, peeled back the green coating, and used my girlfriends red fingernail polish to paint over them. Works like a charm and glows bright red. Took all of 20 minutes to do.

Cigars n scotch
04-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Why buy new bulbs? I took the bUlbs out of all my gauges, peeled back the green coating, and used my girlfriends red fingernail polish to paint over them. Works like a charm and glows bright red. Took all of 20 minutes to do.

Now that is interesting!

bergermaister
04-11-2012, 03:12 PM
My stock bulbs were just clear 194's with a little green rubber boot over them. I've seen other colored 194 bulbs in the auto parts store but of course they never had blue and cost was about the same as the cheaper leds.

Hey where's SandM - he could do his in PINK like this!

05moombalsv
05-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I had my dealer order the 194s in red and they said they would not fit.

KRAK
05-12-2012, 10:51 AM
I just got these in the mail last week. Their not the brightest bulbs out there but they still look cooler than stock.
And cheap too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05moombalsv
05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Did you install them already? Did they fit? My dealer said the bulb would not fit into the socket.

I just got these in the mail last week. Their not the brightest bulbs out there but they still look cooler than stock.
And cheap too!!

KRAK
05-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Yup. No problem fitting in the holes. Had to take each one back out because they only work one way and of course I put them in backwards. I will recommend taking the gauges out so you can check that they work properly, and it's way faster to get the bulb in and out.
Like I said, not CRAZY bright, but an improvement over stock.