PDA

View Full Version : Trailer make over part one! Need help with getting started?

MikeyMike
04-02-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm getting ready to do a complete over haul on my trailer before I take it out this year. It is in need of some work and a new coat of paint. My first problem is getting the boat off? Does any body have any tips or is a boat slip the only way to go? Thanks for the help and I'll keep everyone posted with pics!!

kaneboats
04-03-2012, 08:52 AM
You can borrow a trailer from a dealer or friend with a slip or lift.

wolfeman131
04-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Dry stack for a few days/wks or have a dealer store the boat on blocks. I wouldnt be brave enough to jack it up & put it on blocks myself.

moombadaze
04-03-2012, 12:39 PM
time consuming process

lower front of trailer down
put blocks under rear of boat
lift front of trailer up
rear of boat should rest on blocks
put blocks under front of boat
lower front of trailer down
boat should be supported by blocks
may have to repeat slowly to pull trailer out from under boat

make sure blocks will support boat safetly

Never done this myself but saw this written in another boat website

sounds like a pain in the butt to me, id go visit a local dealer and see if they could help out with storage while your working on it

kaneboats
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
I have put one side up on a well supported long 2"x6" so I could change a trailer bunk. Did one side then the other this way.

MikeyMike
04-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Yea I called my closest boat dealer and they said they have no room. All the marinas wanted a year contract for boat slips! I'm going to my buddies house tomorrow see about launching it in his pond! Lol! Might end up putting the boat on blocks!!

MikeyMike
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Has anyone tried the blocks?? Makes me a little nervous!!

wolfeman131
04-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I watched the guys from Atlanta Marine put a big ole cabin cruiser back on a trailer to launch it after storing it on blocks over the winter. They had 4 big, "L" shaped jacks on wheels that they used to lift it off the jackstands and lower it back onto the trailer. If you try and do on your own, I think you're going to spend some bucks on equipment, if you want to do it right.

http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/boat-jack-stands.html

There has to be a better way, we just haven't thought of it yet. The friends pond might be the best bet.

kvand3471
04-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I have the same job to do this summer. I just sweet talked/befriended a person on a local lake to keep my boat tied up at their dock for a couple of days as long as I take his family out wakeboarding. DEAL! :D

moombadaze
04-04-2012, 07:48 PM
better idea than blocks, look into a trailer rentall

lsvboombox
04-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Put a bass boat up on blocks like described above. They were like 10 x 10 blocks that where left over from the deck.

MikeyMike
04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Well thanks for all the advice but I was lucky enough to persuade a marina to let me rent a slip for a month!! Dropping it off Monday so hope to get started that evening! Will keep updated with pics on the progress!!

wolfeman131
04-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Nice! Glad you found a solution.

kaneboats
04-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Put at least a good coat of wax on her before you start.