PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Mishap(s)

jpetty3023
04-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Dropped her in today with a dead battery. No big deal, that was the point of this early mornings outing. Drop it in by myself and make sure all systems are a go. Towed her to the house and put the charger on and all is good.

2nd trip to ramp and I leave the transom ties attached for just a min while I crank it up. Before i know it the right side of the trailer has floated off the ramp with the boat in tow!!! Again, no big deal, i just walk over and push her back on the ramp. I'm easy going! Finally, I get her started and backed off the trailer.

I'm not 30 seconds off the trailer and making my way to the courtesy dock when the bilge kicks on! I know what your thinking, dummy forget to put the plug in. WRONG, that's a once in a life time mistake and if you remember I did that last summer. So with the bilge working in over drive I put her back on the trailer and left the ramp. Zero water time and another weekend wasted.

I had my boat winterized in December and put her up for the off season. Hadn't seen water since today. The winterization I had done required no de-winterization. Dealership had it for a little over 2 weeks (due to holiday break, no biggie) and said they had the boat all put back together and when spring comes around just drop and go.

I checked to see if anything stuck out at me but of course it didnt im not very mechanically inclined thou.i checked the ski locker and it was soaked. The rear lockers were bone dry. Any ideas where the water is coming from and can I save myself a 3 hour round trip to the dealership and a hundred bucks in fuel? Drain plug was in as earlier mentioned

DOCDRS
04-01-2012, 09:46 PM
It has to be the something after the impeller. So check the block drain plugs, the J tube ( big black J shaped hose starboard side of circulating pump) , the heater hoses if you have them (one on starboard side of block one by the circulating pump), the exhaust manifold quick disconnect (above the transmission), maybe the muffler drain plug (bottom starboard side).

Or lift motor cover start motor and see where water is coming from ...... if you don't see any from around motor and you have a heater then sorry to say they may not have winterized your heater and it could be leaking from under your helm.

rdlangston13
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
What he said. Drop it in the water and at the ramp, fire it up and start looking

harmsway
04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
If the boat ramp is closer then the dealer the best way to find a leak is with boat on the trailer and in the water. 1st look for water coming in with out the boat started, if you don't see water coming in then start the engine and start looking. It shouldn't be to hard to find if that much water was in the bilge area.

I feel for you we went to the lake twice this weekend and didn't make it to much further then the docks.

jpetty3023
04-01-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't have a heater so that eliminates that. I will take her out first thing tomo morning when the ramps are busy and will begin following these instructions. Thanks for the help this far and hopefully I can find the problem in the am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boonejeepin
04-01-2012, 10:31 PM
This may be a crazy thought but was there standing water in the bilge from rain/snow accumulated during storage?

Mikey
04-01-2012, 10:43 PM
My guess would be as mentioned block plugs or a missed hose connection. Do you have fake alake or water hose connection that you can fire up in driveway and run your boat there then start poking around at All hoses and or connections . Maybe block/manifold connections at or near back of motor under wiring harness etc. It s a Hose connection with a male and female connection got missed. Kinda outta sight outta mind?

jpetty3023
04-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Don't think so Boone, it was covered and in a covered storage unit. Cover or inside unit was never wet anytime I checked in on her.

Which of the possible causes that Doc mentioned in most likely the cause after a dealer winterization, or are they all equally possible? I'm gonna hit the ramp bright and early but short of removing the engine cover and looking for gushing water I'm not sure where to start. Guess I'll just have the iPad with me and read Doc's post closely along with the saved owners manual on PDF

jmvotto
04-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Save a trip to the lake and use a fake a lake in the drive way.

If you don't have one it's easy to make especially if the lake is far away.

jpetty3023
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Ramps less than two minutes from the house. 2 mins to storage unit, 2 mins to ramp. It'll give me a reason to get out of the house to!!

sandm
04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm betting the 2 hoses that connect from the ex. manifolds and hook together under the engine are the culprit.

I forogt those 2 last year and they def. pump some volumes of water to start the bilge as quickly as mentioned.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks sandm, I'll try to find those and check that first

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Ski locker soaked: Check the lines to the front bag. Also, doesn't his model have a drain plug in the ski locker or something?

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure but will check my manual Kane. If it does have a plug it's at the dealership because it's not bagged or taped to the boat after the service

KSmith
04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
In the 10+ OBV there is a drain in the bilge floor. It is accessed by an in floor access plate with at pull ring, about 6x6 square. The plug is brass with a T handle. I'm not sure if it was in the 09's Could be the newer LSVs have this drain as well. I never take the plug out of the transom drain I always use the bilge drain.

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Yea, I'm not sure if the 2009's had it yet.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm on the ramp and I lift the engine cover and first thing I notice is a blue shop rag lying on the floor in front of the engine an in front of a white pump (Sahara S500). It's been in water for about 5 mins and I don't notice any water coming in. Guess I should go ahead and start her?

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
The white pump is probably your bilge pump. I'd get the rag out of there.

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 10:24 AM
If you see water coming in when you start her, if you don't know what you're looking at just snap a pic of the area with your phone and post it.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Called the service manager at my dealership and he is going to have the mechanic that performed the service call me back and walk me thru the steps to find the leak. This will hopefully save me a trip to the dealership so as long as this works I'm happy. No Worries right. Just chillin on the ramp catching some rays with a venom in my hand and seeds in my mouth

dusty2221
04-02-2012, 10:41 AM
What an awesome morning...problems or not...that beats the office chair I'm in!

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Waiting on mechanic to give me a call and in the mean time I got to looking around, not knowing what im looking for. Somehow I came across this hose that was not connected to anything. I see where she is suppose to connect to so guess I'll start her and see what happens. I think this is one of the lines Doc was talking about on the port side of the engine
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/fac15fcc.jpg

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 10:43 AM
No doubt Dusty

dusty2221
04-02-2012, 10:49 AM
That hose should be your fix. Hook them back up and fire her up! With them disconnected the water is going into the manifolds and just dumping out of them.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Think here's the problem
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/a8d493a3.jpg

jmvotto
04-02-2012, 10:58 AM
right on the money.... amazing the dealer did not check before it left. glad its simple, but still not needed. bill them back at your time plus travel.....:eek:

WaterBullDawg1980
04-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Manifold hose. Obviously you have already found it, but that was definitely the problem.

Simple fix should have ya on the water. Now for all of our hard work, how about you snap a few pics for us stuck working today!

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Do I just hand tighten the hose or do I need to get a wrench and tighten down pretty good

dusty2221
04-02-2012, 11:08 AM
You should be able to get it tight enough by hand.

sandm
04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
hand tighten. that's the same one I forgot last spring..

bkearney
04-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I get water in the bottom of mine too. Could be a leaky bag, but I have always wondered.. if the seal on the shaft is leaking. how much will it leak? I am wondering if I need to have it repacked or look to something else?

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Last question then I think I'm good to launch. My temp gauge is sitting just a tad past the middle hash line. Had boat running for about 5 mins and that seems mind of high to me. Water is pretty cold and I don't remember it above center mark last year.

Could that hose being loose yesterday and the engine running for about 5 mins caused any engine damage or for that matter, and other damage to motor or boat

dusty2221
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
You should be somewhere in the 160-180 range for normal operating temp, at least that's where we stay.

rdlangston13
04-02-2012, 11:25 AM
A little past half way sounds about normal to me. Can you tell what numerical number it is temperature wise?

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Shoot a pic of the gauge if you can.

you da man
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
This fiasco gets better...wait until Jason updates this post with what else he discovered. He's been updating me with texts. I was loading and he was launching yesterday when this all went down. The ramp was crowded and we didn't want to be "that guy" trouble shooting on a two boat ramp taking up a lane so Jason just took the boat back to storage until this morning to trouble shoot

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Think the temp is ok. I wanna say its probably running about 160. Sitting between the numbers 135-180 so if you half that it's 25 then add that to 135 that equals 160 right!! hehe who knows I'm half out my mind. I took it out for about an hour and it never went up so I suppose it's good.

Gonna try and lost a video here in a few but my trailer is making a crazy noise when in reverse. Started yesterday at my house and just figured it was from the slight incline of driveway. Never did italy season but I have a different tow vehicle now. When I put the boat up about today it was unhooked completely and I pushed on it and it made the noise again. I shot a video and will try to post it here in a few

Thanks again for all the help regarding the leak. I almost feel like I know what I'm doing now, feel like an accomplished do it your selfer

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Check your wiring. Sounds like your reverse wire isn't connected. I think it's the blue one.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Kane. Is it a shudder you are getting? Mine did that last year when I switched out tow vehicles.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Kane, are you thinking its stuck like in the brakes being engaged and that's what making the noise? I figured once the adapter was removed from the tow vehicle and there was no more power it would release the brakes. Im trying to get the video posted now

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/12aad86d.mp4

Here's the video with the gawd awful sound. I can't believe I am having this much much trouble with a boat with 76 hours on her. Here's to hopeing it's just some winter cob webs that need to be ironed out

you da man
04-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Don't forget to tell everyone what the tech left you in the engine compartment.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 02:30 PM
O yeah anyone need a huge channel lock plier. I'm thinking the tech wanted me to go ahead and finish the service at home with the rag and tools he left me

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Mark it don't really sound like a shutter I don't think. It's almost a winding/grinding sound. You can hear it pretty good in the video if y'all are able to open it up.

A little Texas Longhorn love for all your help. Very much appreciated
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/bec6ef22.jpg

kaneboats
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I'd be tempted to lift up each side and spin each wheel to see if I can isolate it. May be a brake hanging up a little bit or a warped rotor if you dunked it on a hot day.

rdlangston13
04-02-2012, 02:56 PM
youre trailer brakes are hydraulic surge, not electric. nothing electronic on you truck or wiring harness engages them however when in reverse the signal from your tow vehicles reverse lights activates a solenoid that will bypass the pressure from the master cylinder in the trailer preventing them from activating in reverse. you need this because the pressure on the tongue from backing up will activate your brakes. keep your trailer plugged in when in reverse.

you surge brakes operate by the tongue of the trailer acting as a giant brake pedal and your truck is the foot. your truck slows down and the trailer pushes on it, this pressure applies the brakes.

you da man
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
David, I mentioned the same to Jason as well yesterday. Jason, I have a floorjack in my unit if you want to use it. Hitme up, I'm off work now.

lsvboombox
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Sounds like a warped rotor. If it was your reverse solenoid the brakes should lock up and not push at all when backing. I would do like kane said and isolate the wheels

Pull on the a60 actuator and make sure its all the way out Then roll it again

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
a60 actuator? Could you please give me a little more detail LSVBoom

lsvboombox
04-02-2012, 03:54 PM
The part that mounts on to your hitch ball. If its all the way out there is no pressure on brakes. If its in partially it could be applying some pressure to your brakes.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Ok thanks, headin to unit now to jack it up and try actuator.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Actuator is locked all the way to the rear. Hooked it up to ball and was able to get it fwd a few inches. Put my foot on trailer and pushed to get rest of way out. Opened plastic cover and the it's bone dry inside

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 04:50 PM
this is how I found it
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/85d2a830.jpg
This is bone dry with cover off
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f287/jpetty3023/b5f1df07.jpg

dusty2221
04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
eek!
:eek:

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I would suggest that you read all your manuals from cover to cover and familiarize yourself with the boat and trailer. Or get yourself a knowledgeable mechanic. Or start reading all the maintenance items in the How to Section on the forum. Now it looks like you may have to bleed the brake lines and find out where the leak came from.

bzubke1
04-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Thats no good. Add some fluid and try to find the leak.

Here's a link to the actuator our trailers have. Some good demonstration videos about different functions and a maintenance manual that should show you the brake bleeding procedure, it's fairly easy but tedious.

http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Follow your brake lines , I bet one of them got knicked and the fluid leaked out last fall. :( BTW nice looking boat :)

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
The trailer was just serviced in December and put up thou. With it being that dry I wonder if my tech never even looked at the trailer

KG's Supra24
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
It sounds like your tech/dealer owes you a refund and hopefully there is another local shop?

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Hey J, do you usually get water in your bilge?? I noticed your dripless is hooked up to your exhaust quick drain.

you da man
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm gonna help Jason bleed the brake system. I had to replace both axles on my Boatmate trailer so I'm familiar with the process. The inside of our storage units are very smooth concrete and there's no evidence of brake fluid but I'll double check the steel lines when we bleed.

chawk610
04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
None of this stuff is HUGE... you just got it all at once... hit the reset button and start your season over again :)

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Doc it does seem like I have a lot of water in my ski locker at times and boat drains for a while when I take it out of the water but I have nothing to compare it to as this is my first in board boat and I have just at a year of ownership.

Does something look like its not hooked up right and do I have another issue to worry about now sir?

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Them some good words of encouragement Chawk. I just never figured I'd have problems with a boat a year old and 76 hours on the clock that's all

viking
04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Wow - thread count up to 64 and this was started yesterday. Hope you get back on the "worry free" use of your boat soon?

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Crazy huh Viking. I'm just glad so many members are watching the thread and hooking a brotha up. Hopefully after tomo evening it will be No Worries again!!

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Jason, you have the dripless shaft seal...... it is supposed to be dripless. The cooling hose needs to be routed to come off the tranny cooler not the manifold quick drain. Your seal may not leak while sitting in the water but once you get underway the hot water expands the housing causing leakage. Its a simple fix , I'm going to video the fix in a few weeks.

bzubke1
04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Our LSV never fully drained unless we would pull the transom plug out and let it sit for a minute or two on a steep ramp. There would always be a bit of water in the ski locker if we didn't let it drain right after we pulled it out of the water on the ramp. I think thats why they started putting a center drain plug in.

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 07:29 PM
My 09 21V does not get a drop of water in the bilge with the dripless functioning properly.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Doc is this something that was set up wrong at the dealership also?

wolfeman131
04-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey JP, sorry I'm late to this one, bro!

Had the same hoses disconnected on MY NEW BOAT TEST DRIVE!

I'm all pumped to sign the papers, we take the boat out for a quick test and not 30 sec in and the bilge is running. I ask the salesman. "Hey, is this normal?" and he replies that "it must be full from the rain." I'm thinking that I remember I was sold on an auto-bilge feature which the old runabout did not have. So I ask, "mind if I take a peek in the engine compartment?" to which he replies, "it's your boat. You can do whatever you want." So, up goes the cover and I turn back around and say, "Mind telling me why there is a hose spraying water all over MY BOAT!"

He scrambles to shut her down & we put the hoses back together. Simple fix, but I was none too happy. So, I get where you're coming from but also say to heed others and remember: NO WORRIES!

bzubke1
04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
What I'm getting at is make sure you get all that water out of the hull that is in it from the manifold hoses being disconnected that way you know the water is coming from a new source and not just leftover.

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Doc is this something that was set up wrong at the dealership also?

No , its a factory install design flaw. They fixed it on the 2010's maybe later 2009's. If you get someone to drive the boat while you look at the seal (may need a flash light) it may not leak until the motor has warmed up. But i'll bet yours is leaking pretty good by now and a new seal or a whole new housing maybe needed. I would reroute first to colder intake water.

mnpracing
04-02-2012, 08:26 PM
No , its a factory install design flaw. They fixed it on the 2010's maybe later 2009's. If you get someone to drive the boat while you look at the seal (may need a flash light) it may not leak until the motor has warmed up. But i'll bet yours is leaking pretty good by now and a new seal or a whole new housing maybe needed. I would reroute first to colder intake water.

Doc, did you already to a how-to on this? i searched but couldn't find anything.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
That's fabulous!!

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Doc, did you already to a how-to on this? i searched but couldn't find anything.

No how to yet , maybe I will shoot it this weekend if the weather cooperates. Have to try out my new GoPro

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Hey Doc I'm still under warranty. Is this something I should have dealer fix before it expires or is the company answer gonna be " there's nothing wrong here". I was god with the massive leak and near brake failure but now you got me officially worried!!

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I had mine replaced, but the problem returned , thats when I found out the cause of the real problem and could easily duplicate it. I was under the 1year mark. It is just quicker/ cheaper and easier for me to do it myself. The time and gas it takes to go to my dealer makes it faster to do it myself. My dealer is great just too far away. The re routing takes probably about 20 mins. Mine is still under the motor warranty but I'm not sure if this is covered under that.

jpetty3023
04-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I'll be eagerly awaiting your post on this Doc. My dealer is far away also and well, you know the rest. I never imagined I'd have these kind of issues this early on with such an expensive boat. I came from an 04 bayliner which I had for 4.5 years and had no issues ever with boat or trailer. Prior to that it was jet skis, again never any issues I'm hopeing this will be an easy fix for a dummy mechanic like myself, again I am not very inclined. The fact that I found the culprit of the leak and discovered my trailer has no fluid with yalls help has me feeling like I just found a cure for cancer!! UUGH!

viking
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
hey doc, Is that dripless flaw just on the v drives? Mine is plumbed on the intake side. I remember you asking about this a little over a year ago.

DOCDRS
04-02-2012, 10:56 PM
hey doc, Is that dripless flaw just on the v drives? Mine is plumbed on the intake side. I remember you asking about this a little over a year ago.

Not sure, but if the cooling water is pre thermostat you are good. I think maybe it was moved on the 09's and then they developed the problem???

kaneboats
04-03-2012, 09:03 AM
To be fair, most of his issues are lousy service, not some flaw with the boat.

jpetty3023
04-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Agreed!!

wolfeman131
04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Well, other than that TX orange, but that was his choice. :)

jpetty3023
04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Big shout out to you da man for hooking a brother up with the brakes. We met at the unit and added the brake fluid and bleed the system. Hooked it up to the truck and took her for a rock and no more grinding noises. So checked for leaks and at this point nothing. I'll keep and eye for leaks in the future. Gonna drop her in the water and pray all systems are a go!!