PDA

View Full Version : Heater Y pipe

Boonejeepin
03-31-2012, 10:26 PM
I saw that a heater Y pipe helps to keep the heater temp up while idling. I have a factory installed heater but it cools off quickly while idling.

Where does the Y pipe get installed and what does it connect to?

Thanks!

jmvotto
04-01-2012, 06:41 AM
I believe it's between the raw water intake and the impeller housing.
Couple pics in here. I never installed mine because it was too hard to get to at the time.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14683-raw-water-intake-for-heater-install./page2&highlight=Heater+install

lsvboombox
04-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I found it easiest to remove the water pick up hose between the vdrive and the impeller and install the wye outside the boat then slide it back in. I got a lsv and it was tight to install, skinned the knuckles then decided to pull the hose.

Boonejeepin
04-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I think I just figured out how it works.

Am I correct that the Y on the intake line acts as the suction to pull the heat through the heater core? The hot water is still coming from the block.

I was thinking backwards earlier and wondering how the cold sea water would hear anything.

Thanks for the insight.

lsvboombox
04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
I think I just figured out how it works.

Am I correct that the Y on the intake line acts as the suction to pull the heat through the heater core? The hot water is still coming from the block.

I was thinking backwards earlier and wondering how the cold sea water would hear anything.

Thanks for the insight.

Yep..............