PDA

View Full Version : Sea Doos???

chawk610
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Ok guys... I have a friend that has recently had a death in the family... long story short there are 2 Sea Doos he wants to sell... my inlaws want to get them but I wanted to get some idea of what they should be looking at before buying.

1. They are stored on a covered lift
2. He doesn't know if they were winterized or not.
3. Do you even need to do that to those?
4. How could we go about getting them ready for a test ride if they were winterized?
5. Is there an hour meter on them like boats?

Thanks, Casey

P.S. I hate idiots on Sea Doos, not the Sea Doos themselves :)

wolfeman131
03-26-2012, 02:09 PM
1. They are stored on a covered lift
FANTASTIC

2. He doesn't know if they were winterized or not.
NOT REALLY NECESSARY IF THEY ARE NEWER MODELS

3. Do you even need to do that to those?
NOPE, BUT I LIKE TO CHANGE OIL & FILTER, PUT BATTERY ON A TRICKLE CHARGER AND FOG THE CYLINDERS

4. How could we go about getting them ready for a test ride if they were winterized?
PUT THE KEY IN, CHECK FOR GAS AND PUSH THE START BUTTON

5. Is there an hour meter on them like boats?
MOST NEWER MODELS WILL HAVE THEM. DIGITAL READOUTS WITH A MENU THAT YOU CAN SCROLL THRU TO SEE HOURS, RPM, MPH, DIRECTION, TIMER, ETC

sandm
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I would like to pick one up on the cheap to use midweek to pitch a tent on a campsite for the long weekends. pita to launch the boat for a 30 minute job. they are fun when used properly..
amazing how much gas you can use on some of the larger 3person ones in a day tho. almost as much as my boat..

chawk610
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Wow... cool, THanks Drew! #4 is most informative :)

BobP
03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
To add to Drew's comments, make sure there is oil as well before starting...most likely not premix models unless fairly old, but I'm guessing they are 2-strokes. You can do compression checks on the cylinders as well...can probably find allowable range of numbers online based on the model/engine.

Farther North than Texas winterizing is typically done...flush engine with antifreeze, make sure pipe is free of water, fog engine, etc...not always necessary, but cracked blocks do happen.

wolfeman131
03-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Wow... cool, THanks Drew! #4 is most informative :)

Just doing what I can.

Get some more details like year & model.

I have a love/hate relationship with ours. I love to ride it. It's kinda like my water motorcycle and my 4 yr old son loves to ride with me. The entire time he screams "faster, Daddy!"

I hate it when morons decide to jump my wake and/or follow my kids when they are boarding or surfing. It's amazing how easy it is to profile an idiot sea doo operator. On our lake it usually goes like this:

fat dude in the orange, around the neck, US Coast Guard life vest on a 80's-era jetski is an idiot
old, bald man who stares at the houses on shore is an idiot
blond, teenage girls usually end up being idiots. I will have 2 of these soon and am training them to not be idiots.

chawk610
03-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Ok... I will be looking at them with my Brother in law... I reckcon I will be looking for freeze plugs / disconnected hoses, etc... check oil, then testride.

wolfeman131
03-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm guessing they are 2-strokes.

good call there, Bob. However, I'm not sure Sea Doo has had any 2-strokes for awhile (maybe since 2002 or 2003), but I could easily be mistaken. Maybe some of the high performance ones are? I think Kawasaki & Yamaha may still have some oil-injected models.

This is a fun site to look at some of the colors on the old machines:

http://www.seadoosource.com/seadoomodelreference.html

chawk610
03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys, I think one is 2-3 years old... the other like 4. I think he wantiing like 7-8k for both with trailers.

wolfeman131
03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Ah, knew I was probably wrong! Actually read thru some of that and the 2 strokes were put to rest in 2007, but were in limited models prior to that.

KSmith
03-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Grrrrrr Lake Lice.... ;-)

chawk610
03-26-2012, 05:26 PM
I know... I know... but I "THINK" they will be responsible riders!

BobP
03-26-2012, 07:12 PM
It's cool looking at those old models. My first was a 1995 XP, great little ski. Next we had a 1998 GSX, didn't really care for that one too much. Had a 1994 Yamaha FX1, lot of fun. We then got a 1998 and later a 1999 Yamaha Superjet...ton of fun and still going strong after 14 (13) seasons. Some friends have a newer Yamaha couch, very comfy and fast, but to me not much fun on a small lake.

lsvboombox
03-27-2012, 03:25 PM
As far as number 2(lol) they are supposed to self drain like drew mentioned but If the are supercharged i think those do have a winterization process.

ian ashton
03-27-2012, 04:01 PM
It's amazing how easy it is to profile an idiot sea doo operator.

It is even easier on our lake; look for a PWC - once you find one, you've found the idiot.

ryan_8099
03-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Same with us. The police on our lakes have got so strict on watching Sea Doos that people have sold many of them after getting pulled over. Our lakes are pretty small, so it's mostly due to being to close to docks or other boats. I'm not complaining :)

It is even easier on our lake; look for a PWC - once you find one, you've found the idiot.

Hoopskier
03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I had an 05 Seadoo RXT, sold in fall 08 for boat. I did my own maintanance. I am pretty family on the basic stuff of the 4tec engine. Assuming you are looking at a newer model that has this engine. All based of the same base engine 3 cyl 1500 cc. Base engine starting at non-supercharged, then supercharged, then top end- supercharged & Intercooled.

The do require oil changes like any engine. Although they have a self contained cooling system, they should have some winterizing- the exhaust still used lake water for cooling just like our boats and its not self draining, stabil for the gas, disconect the battery. That cover most of the big times.

I believe around 04-05 was the big switch to the 4 stroke in seadoo. To test drive, like mentioned, check oil & gas, key and go. Thought most had a multi fuction LCD screen for speed, tach, water/air temps, hours, ect.

They can consume some fuel but also look how you would drive it, drive your moomba that way and it will drink gas.

kaneboats
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Yamaha Waverunner 4 stroke. Run all day for about 8 bucks. My brother had one. Nice machine but boring after an hour.