PDA

View Full Version : Why don't simple things work out Simple??

viking
03-21-2012, 08:07 PM
So I've removed my banged up fender and ordered a new from Boatmate and chose the painted option to minimize any work I have to do for prep and paint or have it done locally. I need to do a little body work to get the metal formed back to the way it was to get the new fender mounted when it shows up. Also need to get some colormatch paint to touch up the rear step as the shredded tire last summer not only took out the fender, but rubbed the paint off about 1/3 of the step. Boatmate says due to regulations they cannot ship any paint.

So I Got the Color Code from Jerry at Boatmate: DuPont Centari 5000 - Reuben Red 768347A.
Figure I'll go to the local DuPont dealer paint shop and get some mixed up. Yeah, NOT. They said they got rid of all their laquer paints and not even coming up in the system? What a joke.

Why can't I have a John Deere Yellow boat and trailer so paint is easy to find (plug for Berg).

Now I'm gonna have to take my mangled fender down to the paint shop, have them scan it and hopefully get something that comes close to match. Nothing like driving all over hell and back just to get a rattle can enough to do the job.

wolfeman131
03-21-2012, 09:45 PM
I get not shipping via overnight/air, but there isn't any reason not to ship via ground. Ask them how they got it to the plant. I'm betting they didn't make it on site.

bergermaister
03-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Sorry man - feel (felt) your pain!

An old school paint shop around town is probably your ticket. My local one here said they could do a custom match for about $20-25 a can but I had nothing in the color I needed that I could take off and bring in to scan.

You know the rest of the story.

sandm
03-22-2012, 08:15 AM
it was available here locally, but really expensive as that paint needed a bunch of materials to make it catalyze properly.

go get a colormatch in a more readily-available paint brand..

sucks :(

dusty2221
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM
That's really strange. Must be a state reg? I just had a can of color-matched spray paint shipped to me a few weeks ago via USPS. Of course, since it couldn't be simple, it in fact did not match so I still ended up going to home depot with a panel in hand to get it matched.

wolfeman131
03-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Maybe you can make it easier! How about finding a great complimentary color for the fender & steps and repaint both sides? On your boat, I think a white or dark grey fender would look great. This gives you an idea of how a two tone trailer looks:

http://www.dallasskiboats.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09818079X3K22K2012J9I17 I34JAMQ6804R0&veh=267134&pov=2554790

zabooda
03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I repainted my fenders some years back and got the duPont paint locally. Get the hardener for the paint if you can get it added as it will prevent rock chips. I don't think Boatmate ever used it as the paint is holding up much better.

viking
03-22-2012, 02:50 PM
I get not shipping via overnight/air, but there isn't any reason not to ship via ground. Ask them how they got it to the plant. I'm betting they didn't make it on site.

Sounds simple enough! But this is the exact response when I asked:
The paint cannot be shipped by Boatmate.
No further explanation or dialog. I think they just don't want to put any effort into it.

I'll just have to get the old fender scanned. Or I may be able to dig around and find the bottle of paint that came with the boat to repair paint chips in the trailer. They can scan that and mix up whatever it is they have now and pray it comes close enough.

wolfeman131
03-22-2012, 03:19 PM
and pray it comes close enough.

I understand your frustration! Not the best customer service, but I also understand this is an EXTREMELY busy time of year for them.

So, didn't like my suggestion for the two-tone trailer? I suggested it so that you didn't have to worry about the paint matching up and to help cut down on the search & frustration.

viking
03-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I really only need to sand down and repaint 1/3 of the rear step on the starboard side where the tire beat the living s*#t out of it and mangled the fender.

If I go two tone on the trailer I'd have to prep and paint the other side and now I'm into alot more work. If I was going to do that I think I'd look at blasting the entire trailer and then Rhino Line or Linex the thing. But then I'd have to find a place that would lift my boat, store it, and then put it back on the trailer when done. Here in MT it's hard to keep anything from getting nicks and chips and that would be the ideal solution. Just not practical.

Don't get me wrong, I like the looks of the 2-tone. But I'm trying to get this fix done on the cheap and minimal elbow grease.

dusty2221
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Viking, which fender did you go with and how much was it if you don't mind? My blew out destroyed the rear of my fender, broke the weld that attached the top and side to the main step, and ate the paint off the trailer as well. I just did my best to straighten. I'd love to grab a new fender and have both fenders painted black, my trailer is red. I LOVE the two tone look.

wolfeman131
03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm trying to get this fix done on the cheap and minimal elbow grease.

Totally understand.

Did Boatmate give any indication as to if you could get the paint from their factory? Maybe a fellow board memeber in TN could pick it up for you and ship it UPS?

viking
03-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Dusty,
Fender was $32, paint option $100, and shipping is like $40. Ordered it from their website after verifying parts with Jerry. It's an extra week delay for paint. I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be to find the paint locally. Didn't think painted fender for $130 was too bad. But also thought it'd be easy to have a rattle can made up locally and do the step repair myself. Pulled my weld apart as well. Gonna have to bend it back straight, weld, and repaint.

I just don't understand why boatmate is so anti-honest-answer with the paint issue. Just tell me that you don't want to ship paint because there's no profit. Or maybe they contract out for the paint on the fender. Who cares, but just fess up. Help a customer find a solution! But they avoid it like the plague.....

Wolfeman,
I'd love it if a fellow member could track down the paint and have a couple cans mixed up. Any takers??

Mikey
03-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I got almost the exact same response from Jerry as well, when i placed my order a couple weeks ago and also requested a small amount of paint extra for touch ups,etc. He gave me the speach on shipping issues and also gave me a Dupont paint code. I have,nt tryed to see how available this paint is,yet hopefully ,not a problem.

My order is still in transit ,so sitting waiting patiently for parts to arrive.

I have to wonder though? If i was ordering wax,cleaners ,protectants etc, i have not heard of MAJOR issues getting these items shipped before???

viking
03-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Personally I think its a made up answer that pacifies the majority of inquiries. I've ordered cleaners, waxes, paint, oil, you name it and no problem getting them delivered. Most just cannot be sent overnight (anything air delivery). Most have to be done ground shipping.
To give a bogus answer, then when called on it reply WE CANNOT SHIP PAINT is just a cop out IMO. It is what it is. So be it.

viking
07-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Finally getting around to posting update(s).
Got the fender installed and the fender mount and rear bent back straight, welded, and sanded down/re-painted. As I assumed the color match paint I had made up locally didn't match worth a shit and really irritating. I took the code down to them and they couldn't find anything as most shops are now getting rid of any acrylic based and going water based. I searched and searched and found nothing else. So brought them my bottle of chip repair paint that came with the boat/trailer. They used it to mix up the paint which after I was done with the job pretty much stuck out like a sore thumb. So I slapped on my Bullet Speaker stickers I had sitting around wondering where I was going to apply. It at least helps a little and won't have to pinstripe for awhile. I'm not dealing with it anymore as I'm into using my boat these short summer months.
Another "Thanks For Nothing" shout-out to Boatmate!
While I was at it I replaced the factory non-skid tape on the top of the fenders with some Hydro-turf. Bought a sheet of "b" stock awhile ago. Use the stuff everywhere i find :)
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/briankelli/2007%20Moomba%20Outback/100_1690.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/briankelli/2007%20Moomba%20Outback/100_1693.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/briankelli/2007%20Moomba%20Outback/100_1697.jpg

viking
07-08-2012, 04:14 PM
A few more:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/briankelli/2007%20Moomba%20Outback/100_1699.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/briankelli/2007%20Moomba%20Outback/100_1728.jpg
The other side I did the sticker as well:
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd401/briankelli/2007%20Moomba%20Outback/100_1731.jpg