PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Location Advice

mobiusLSV05
06-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Looking for advice on where to go with an amp, and possibly a sub as well. Im not a gifted person when it comes to audio equipment, but I have some buddies willing to help me out. What is the best "bang for the buck" , Ive already changed out the factory speakers with 6 of the Kenwood 6 1/2" ones that match the tower, now I would like to know where to go with and amp and a sub. Knowledge and info appreciated. (no fancy terminology please) Thanks! My dealership wanted 1,800 to put in an amp and a sub through a local shop here in town--to much for this guy

OnTheH20
06-14-2005, 03:43 PM
SWAirlines (or anyone else),

Can you post pics of the factory install? I placed my amps in the same location but would be interested to see how the factory install was done.

Thanks,
Nathan

amonteroman
06-14-2005, 08:02 PM
MobiusLSV05,

I had 2 amps, 2 Tower speakers and a 12" sub in my 04 Outback added after I bought the boat, saved about 50%, plus got a better system. I also changed all of the factory 6.5" speakers with JBL marine speakers. The guys at the stereo shop custom built a box and panel, (carpeted) under the dash and installed the amps in the standard, under the glove box area. I imagine the wood would deteriorate in time but I typically dont get much water in the boat. This is my first post so I will attempt to post some pics.

amonteroman
06-14-2005, 08:03 PM
That did'nt work. I can e-mail pics if you want.

mobiusLSV05
06-14-2005, 08:30 PM
From what Ive seen in the past, sub boxes take up alot of space with that in mind, I would think the only place to put one would be in front of the drivers feet. Would that make the driver go insane??? As far as the install goes Im totally stupid, I already blew up my deck, something about running 8 speakers off of the deck with no amp? so with that in mind Im going to be looking for a reasonably priced amp. Any sugestions on brands?? Thanks

mobiusLSV05
06-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Forgot something, Ive got all Kenwood in there now, should I stick with the same brand?
Pictures would be greatly appreciated also.

amonteroman
06-14-2005, 10:15 PM
MobiusLSV05,

I did the webshots thing and will try to add a link. As far as everything needing to be the same brand....not necessary, I have a Kenwood head unit, JBL and Sony speakers, Audiobahn sub and Preformance teknique amps. Hope this helps.

P.S. I dont know the first thing about stereo wiring, had the shop do it. Still about half of what the boat dealer would charge.

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=viewall&albumID=369877181

Try this link instead
http://community.webshots.com/album/369877181JLAPxO

millerthymes
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I have an '05 Mobius LSV. I put 2 Rockford amplifiers in the passenger storage compartment mounted vertically on the inside of the hull. The amps are mounted on a peice of 3/4 inch mdf. I cut and drilled all my holes for my wires the put 3 coats of fiberglass resin on the mdf. Once the resin dried I covered it in matching rubber backed marine carpet. To keep the amp board from wicking up water from the floor of the boat I spaced the bottom of the amp board with 3/4 inch plastic trim from Home Depot. As far as the sub goes in my boat I built a custom box for a Rockford 10" that sits on top of the drivers footrest so the subwoofer actually fires toward the front side of the boat for a corner loading effect. This has worked very well in my situation. I as well put 3 coats of resin on the sub box although it should not have any ploblems with direct contact with water as it sits a top the foot rest. I only lost about 2 inches on the top side of my foot rest which I don't even notice. I wiil try to get some pics up as soon as possible for you to look at. I would try and stick with the same brand speakers whenever possible( 6 Alpine 6 1/2 in the boat and 6 Alpine 6 1/2 on the tower).

mobiusLSV05
06-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for all the input, the pictures are great and now I have something to go by. The idea of having a shop other than the dealer do the install is not such a bad idea!! Amonteroman, where is the Sirius module in that picture, I cant make that out??? the problem Im running into with that is the location of the antenna. I have been running the antenna from the rear facing seat, out the top of the door panel next to the glove box. Any ideas? Also, I think I saw a second battery under the seat--am I right, and if so, is that necessary? Doesnt the stereo run off the alternator, like evrything else in the boat? Thanks(call me stupid)

06-15-2005, 07:40 PM
MobiusLSV05,

I have the sirius reciever mounted behind the amps on the same panel the amps are mounted on, the view in the picture is from under the front seats. As far as antenna location, I drilled a hole next to the glove box for a permenent mount. I use the second battery, via the battery selector switch, for running the stereo for extended periods of time when the boat is not running, just a little added insurance.

amonteroman
06-15-2005, 07:42 PM
MobiusLSV05,

I have the sirius reciever mounted behind the amps on the same panel the amps are mounted on, the view in the picture is from under the front seats. As far as antenna location, I drilled a hole next to the glove box for a permenent mount. I use the second battery, via the battery selector switch, for running the stereo for extended periods of time when the boat is not running, just a little added insurance.

amonteroman
06-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh, one more thing. The two toggle switches just right of the amps are to turn on and off the tower speakers.

07-12-2005, 11:31 PM
here's a little site i put up last year when i installed my stereo upgrades.
http://home.mass.rr.com/moombaoutback/

03-31-2006, 05:43 PM
:p :) ;) ;)

lowdrag
04-01-2006, 04:48 AM
For $500, I was able to buy a JL Audio e1400d sub amp and a JL 12' sub in a factory enclosure. The enclosure fits with room to spare behind the kick panel by the driver's feet. The amp has power to spare in case I ever want to upgrade the sub. Wiring one in yourself is a piece of cake. JL products may seem a little pricey but in the long run their worth it. Several people I know who do boat installs insist that people at least consider them because they have proven to be fairly bulletproof when it comes to being jarred around in a boat, plus they're usually underrated on power. If you're looking to run all 8 speakers and a sub, you should probably consider running 2 amps. A lot of it depends on what you want your system to do.