PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch

jmb
03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
I learned a lesson today that I didn't know. The kill switch disables the fuel pump. I pulled up next to the dock today to pick up the wife and the boat died. I had to fumble around a little bit when I got next to the dock and I guess it hit the kill switch. I had my wet suit right there so I didn't see it. I couldn't figure out why it died. Opened the motor box and no fuel pump noise. Pis__ed off and upset I took the boat home and took the fuel pump out. Figured I would call Skidim on Monday. Mowed the friggin' yard and disked the garden then got back in the boat and moved the wet suit and there layed the kill switch cord disconnected. Put the fuel pump back in and tuned the key to the on position and it pumped. Just a heads up to everyone how the kill switch works if nobody knew. What a bite. Going out in the morning.

usaski1
03-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Yeah, that damn kill switch is way too touchy... I don't wear it, but my leg bumps it sometimes, and I'm sitting there floating in the lake going "why wont the boat start!!"??, we were just fine.. I want to hardwire that switch bad. Anyone know do I hardwire it open, or closed? That kill switch has probably scared/pissed off and runed way more days than any life or limb saved.

wolfeman131
03-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Don't bother hardwiring it. Just pull it out and run a zip tie behind it so it cant trip. Cheap & easy.

jmb
03-18-2012, 09:33 AM
The kill switch is a law in Alabama. You have to have it but I have never been checked.

wolfeman131
03-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I'd bet it's the law everywhere so follow my suggestion at your own risk and liability. I assume no responsibility.

jmb
03-18-2012, 09:36 AM
I hear ya. Getting off of here and getting the boat ready. Have a good day!!

zabooda
03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
So if the lanyard is law then everyone is seen with their designer wrist strap? I prefer having a wireless kill switch in the form of designer sun glasses. Really mess with the law. Tell them it is a smart kill switch and your boat has to be moving for it to kill the motor.

jmb
03-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I guess I could try that argument Zabooda. I don't wear the stupid thing anyways. I have been pulled over twice for setting on the gull wings with my feet in the boat. Was told I couldn't set that way. Still didn't check the kill switch lanyard

usaski1
06-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I still want to hardwire mine... yesterday I came in early after boat dies in the middle of a slalom set. tuns out my ski was wedged between it an the seat. Didn't realize it. Wife figured it out. Wives are worth keeping around some times. Anyone know how to hardwire the kill switch? Still want to as just pressing in on the button will kill it. And that can happen with a zip tie.