PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Trailer Hub

hgvandy
03-17-2012, 06:25 PM
I bought a 2006 LSV last year and was going to grease the hubs, but can not find information on what type of hubs I have. It looks like oil filled because it has a clear fitting over the hub. Should this oil be changed? I have read where you should check levels, but I can not even tell what level it is, which means it may be full. Never had a problem, just want to make sure I don't.

Mikey
03-17-2012, 09:18 PM
You likely have oil filled hubs . The clear glass is a sight glass but can be hard to see ,through at the best of times. You want the hubs to be full and or not milky. Also as per instructions changed every 2 years or x amount of miles. There is a allan srew drain/fill plug somewhere on the hub likely to fill/drain this.
It is kinda a pain and a little messy but not all that hard to do. As per trailer specs the info to do this and what oil is required is in there.

jmb
03-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I finally had my changed last year. I forget what the boatmate book said but I think it recommends it every couple of years. Don't know how far you are towing either. Ramp is 6 miles away here.

hgvandy
03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
I tow about 15 miles. I saw the Allen screw and wondered if that is what it was for. I don't have the user manual because I bought it used. Does anyone know what oil it takes?
Thanks for all the help.

moombacraze
03-17-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a 06 lsv as well. Check out this link. It has some PDF,s of the owners manual. Hope this helps!

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=169406

deerfield
03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
hg - PM me your email address and I will send you the 6-page axle hub service booklet that came with my '07 Boatmate trailer. Easy for me to scan the pages and send them to you as an email attachment. If interested, I can do the same with the 6-page disc brake booklet and 27-page hydraulic brake actuator booklet. All three are from a company called Trailer Buddy. - Deerfield

Mods - Is there a way to post these as a sticky in the Service and Repair thread?

deerfield
03-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Should this oil be changed?

For GOLD Series Trailer Buddy hubs: "It is recommended that you change the oil in your GOLD system after 20,000 miles or every two years unless oil becomes milky color."

GOLD = Genuine Oil Lubrication Series

I have read where you should check levels, but I can not even tell what level it is, which means it may be full.

"Using the inspection window, check the oil level in the hub every time before you launch your boat."

"Use standard 50 weight motor oil. Do not use heavier or lighter weight oils; variations in oil additives and viscosity can affect oil containment in the GOLD system."

wolfeman131
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Mods - Is there a way to post these as a sticky in the Service and Repair thread?

Great idea. If you save the manuals in .pdf form and upload to photobucket, post the link to the doc or album, we can sticky the thread.

Someone may have a better idea on how to do this.

hgvandy
03-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Would you guys suggest changing these plastic ones out for something else and if so, what would you go with. I am hoping I did not damage the one I was working on. I will go back to the boat in about a week and check things out. Thanks for all the help.

viking
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.ufpnet.com/Axles/tabid/55/Default.aspx

Just click on the Link for your version (i have the Gold Axle). I used Royal Purple 50wt. oil.
Jack up, remove the tire, remove plug, rotate so oil drains out the bottom. It takes quite a while for all the oil to drip out and makes a mess running down the hub but easily wiped up.

Watch the allen head drain plugs. I stripped one out trying to remove it as it was seized in place. Ended up having to drill and use an extractor to remove. Replaced with brass plugs and coated the threads with hightemp gasket sealer.

To check level, just remove the plug when it's at the 12 o'clock position and you'll see if the oil is full. The view window is crap imo. You'll need a real small funnel to fill. Found mine in the food section of the local grocery store :)

deerfield
03-18-2012, 08:45 PM
hg - Rather than me email the maintenance guide, click on the pdf file labeled "Trailer Buddy GOLD Axle Maintenance" on the web site referenced in viking's above post. That is the exact guide that came with my '07 Boatmate tandem axle trailer. - Deerfield

viking - Good work. Thanks. - Deerfield

rdlangston13
03-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I have a question on this, I have a 2008 boat mate tandem axle trailer on my LSV with the vault system. it uses that special hybrid grease/oil and is supposed to be maintenance free. i am the process of replacing my brakes, rotors, calipers, bearings, the whole 9 yards and i bought some bearing buddies, can bearing buddies be used with the hybrid grease? i have 3 tubes of this grease i bought in order to undergo this project so i figured i would just stick one in a grease gun and use form bearing buddies...

hgvandy
03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Guys, thanks for all the help. After downloading the manual to the link and reading posts, it was a very easy project. One concern, I put in 50 weight motor oil and noticed that when I was draining the old oil, it was blue. Just want to make sure I used the right thing.

bhowell
04-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the info. The forum always has answers when I have questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD