PDA

View Full Version : Water draining...

usaski1
03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
So the Outback spends most of its life on the lift, and I'm not sure it would be any different on a trailer, except I would gas it out. Seems like a lot of water comes out of the intake on the lift when I pull it out. Like it just drains water (gallons and gallons) for like 3 minutes when its on the lift right after use. Is this normal? Is it because I don't run it at all on the lift (out of the water). Any clues?

lsvboombox
03-16-2012, 10:51 PM
I always get a ton of water draining when i pull my boat. When you winterize your boat and unhook the hoses from the water pump do you get a lot of water that comes out of the hoses

viking
03-16-2012, 10:59 PM
sounds normal to me. There's alot of water in the manifolds, exhaust baffles, and pipes after shutdown. Mine drains for quite awhile while at the ramp parking lot wiping her down. Depends on the slope of the ramp, the steep ones help speed up the process :)

usaski1
03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Good to know its normal. Feel a little better now. :)

rdlangston13
03-17-2012, 11:50 AM
I find that the bilge will hold a good amount of water before the pump kicks on, after a weekend on the water for us when we pull the boat out and pull the bilge plug out and park on a hill it drain a good bit. not a fan of how the water will not get to the bilge plug without being a steep hill

usaski1
03-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I'm going to have to check my ballast too.. we run the bilge and put it on the lift, and there is a lot of water in the boat that comes out of the bilge also.. We only put 1 hour on the motor today and had quite a stream for quite some time on the bilge.

deerfield
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
usa - I want a lot of water in the cooling system and have never paid attention to how much of it drains out through the exhaust when I pull her out on a trailer or lift. My focus is on the bilge and making sure it's dry. At the end of a day on the water I pull the drain plug (located at the low point of the bilge on my '07 Outback). Takes a few seconds for any water to drain (as long as I didn't take a wave over the bow). I'd be concerned if there was a significant amount of water in the bilge. If you were out for one hour and it took a long time for the bilge to empty, then I'd suggest checking all fittings and hose clamps. Doesn't sound right to me. - Deerfield

rdlangston13
03-17-2012, 08:40 PM
mine fills up just from wet people climbing in and out all day, however this does not sound like the case in an hour long test run

viking
03-17-2012, 09:44 PM
agree with deerfield on the outback. I hardly ever get much water in the bilge area. Never kicks on the pump (unless i forget to put the drain plug in before launch). Usually all day outings and when pulling plug for the day within 30 seconds any water is mostly out. I'd say the majority of it is from Ice Melt from the in-floor cooler. WE use that alot.

usaski1
03-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I dont know where the water is coming from... I've had this problem before, and it was with the ballast. but I removed the strainer and solonoid, so thats not leaking there at least. I checked the ballast today, and no issues that I could see... Also, it doent feel like my auto bilge is working.. I know those float switches get stuck too, so that may be it. Do I have a dripless seal? I know its only spussed to drip a drop every min or so, but if it was leaking bad, that could be it. I'd have to pull the floor up to see... Im kind of interesed in re-allining the coupling anyway though so...

deerfield
03-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Floor is easy to pull. First, unhitch and remove the motor cover. Set it down somewhere away from the boat. It's bulky, so easier to handle if you have help. But if on your own, just take your time. Second. remove four screws securing the floor. I think there is one near each corner. May have to search for them in the carpet pile. Third, pull hard and lift the floor. It runs in one piece from under the back edge of the motor box to the stern. With the floor up and out of the way you have direct access to the drive shaft and shaft seal. I have not had an issue with the seal in my '07 so no experience with servicing it. But, I would guess that if that's the source of the water build up in the bilge, it would become readily apparent when you drop your boat in the water. If no leak in the shaft seal, then before replacing the floor watch for traces of water trickling in from the stern. Maybe there is a leak around one of the exhaust ports, swim platform bracket, or rudder. If nothing there, then check the fresh water thru hull fitting and skeg mounting plates. If pictures would help, let me know. Boat is here at the house. - Deerfield

harmsway
03-18-2012, 10:03 AM
I had a problem with water buiding up in the bilge area and at 1st I figured it was just dripping water coming from people and gear. But my boats in the past I never had this problem, so I started searching for an issue. What I found was the drain plug had water seeping past the the threads and it didn't matter how tight you tightened the drain plug the water would still seep past the threads. You could sit and watch the drain plug and every second or two water would appear around the threads. It wasn't a steady stream so it took a while to figure out. I put teflon tape around the threads and reinstalled and the problem stopped. I now rarely have to pull the drain plug out when we get off the lake unless we take a roller over the bow or it down pours while we are out on the lake. I usually have less then a 1/2 gallon of water in the bilge area that I suck out with a wet vac and our boat will stay in the water for up to 10 days when we are camping.

viking
03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Another area that is a problem on our boats (and the v-drives too as I think its a SC thing?) is the docking lights aren't sealed completely, if at all, when installed. When we are in rough water or going through rollers, my boat takes on alot more water than you would expect. And this is NOT taking one over the bow which would obviously be your water issue. I've been through a few threads on here about the issue and plan on pulling mine off and putting a good amount of silicone on the housing and re-installing. If you have docking lights, that may contribute to your issue?

usaski1
03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Good idea on the docking lights, but I don't have any. I think I'll get it all nice and dry, then leave it in the water for a few days and see if anything comes in... although not sure what that proves...

DOCDRS
03-18-2012, 05:30 PM
The dripless seal is not supposed to leak at all. It may only leak when the boat is underway. Check to see where the water supply line is coming from to the seal housing. This is a problem for seal housing failure.

moombadaze
03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I once had my ballast fill on me while running back to the ramp, didnt know it at the time. Anyway when it was on the trailer it drained water for about 5 minutes, kinda freaked me out at first as the bildge was not that full.

squeeg333
03-19-2012, 05:50 PM
I had a problem with water buiding up in the bilge area and at 1st I figured it was just dripping water coming from people and gear. But my boats in the past I never had this problem, so I started searching for an issue. What I found was the drain plug had water seeping past the the threads and it didn't matter how tight you tightened the drain plug the water would still seep past the threads. You could sit and watch the drain plug and every second or two water would appear around the threads. It wasn't a steady stream so it took a while to figure out. I put teflon tape around the threads and reinstalled and the problem stopped. I now rarely have to pull the drain plug out when we get off the lake unless we take a roller over the bow or it down pours while we are out on the lake. I usually have less then a 1/2 gallon of water in the bilge area that I suck out with a wet vac and our boat will stay in the water for up to 10 days when we are camping.

I have this exact same issue. I noticed it last year, but I've got water seeping in around the drain plug. My first thought was that it was leaking between the drain plug hosing and the hull (where it goes thru the hull) and went to remove it. But, yeh, it's in there. And I think, after a deeper look at it, that water was leaking past the o-ring and thru to the bilge. I'll do the same this year with teflon tape and hopefully knock this issue out.

I've also found small leaks where the exhaust hoses meet the flappers. Just tighten those hose clamps up and those leaks were taken care of.