PDA

View Full Version : loose swim platform

mcfunnymoney
03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
i have a 2000 mobius v and the lag bolts for the platform are stripped out. there is no access on the inside to replace them with bolts and nuts. im wondering if i can cut through the floor to gain access without masing up the rigidity of the whole floor. Is there a way to fix the lag bolts?

rdlangston13
03-09-2012, 11:43 AM
i have a 2000 mobius v and the lag bolts for the platform are stripped out. there is no access on the inside to replace them with bolts and nuts. im wondering if i can cut through the floor to gain access without masing up the rigidity of the whole floor. Is there a way to fix the lag bolts?

i am taking my boat into the dealer for an issue with the lag bolts, they are going to cut a hole in the floor, run a nut and bolt through and seal it. then reglass the floor. quoted me at about 500 bucks, not looking forward to it

mnpracing
03-09-2012, 12:01 PM
i am taking my boat into the dealer for an issue with the lag bolts, they are going to cut a hole in the floor, run a nut and bolt through and seal it. then reglass the floor. quoted me at about 500 bucks, not looking forward to it

David, when you do that, if you think about it please find out if there is a thru-bolt and nut, and a metal backing plate already there which just worked loose? Or did you already determine that your '08 is just lag bolted into the hull with no backing plate or nut?

kaneboats
03-09-2012, 12:07 PM
It would be awesome if you could get them to shoot some pics of what it looks like in there. Maybe you can tell them who it's for: Moomba owners around the world.

Nobodyrides4Free
03-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I just had mine fixed not more than a month ago.02 Mobius V. You are going thru what I just had fixed. I dont have pics of floor once cut out. My boat just had large round washers on the back of lag screws but and would not tighten. I paid 700 to get mine repaired, but they had to do glass work too. Had them install new style bracket while they were there.
Check out this post.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17215-New-Style-Swim-deck-brackets-Installed-and-Spider-Cracks-repaired

PS, there are two sets of pics on this post

mnpracing
03-09-2012, 12:53 PM

I wonder if an access port could be installed, similar to what's been discussed (and several have done) regarding the ski locker. I imagine there's foam in there, just like the ski locker. A 6in access port cover should be able to withstand the weight of the ballast bag without issue. Then you'd have access to the backing plate / nuts if they loosen over time.

kaneboats
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Best idea I've heard all day. If mine ever come loose I'll post a "how to".

mcfunnymoney
03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
i was debating on using a hole saw and going in right above where the holes are. would giant washers be enough support for the inside of the hull or would i need to fabricate a plate?

mnpracing
03-09-2012, 05:27 PM
i was debating on using a hole saw and going in right above where the holes are. would giant washers be enough support for the inside of the hull or would i need to fabricate a plate?

Home depot or Lowes had alumimum plating. I also have a local "Metal Store" to get something like this. I'd just cut the exact size you need with an angle grinder with cutoff wheel, and make it as big as will fit through the hole you cut. I've been planning what to do in case my brackets come loose, and this is the plan I have so far.

mcfunnymoney
03-09-2012, 06:25 PM
sweet. My only worry is that if i cut through the floor and leave the hole that i will lose the strength the floor needs to support the weight of ballast bags. Any fiberglass folks out there? im in chattanooga tn

mnpracing
03-09-2012, 06:27 PM
sweet. My only worry is that if i cut through the floor and leave the hole that i will lose the strength the floor needs to support the weight of ballast bags. Any fiberglass folks out there? im in chattanooga tn
just install a deck plate in the hole. Several on here have done this in their ski lockers, and a ballast bag sits on that. You'll just want to keep the hole only as big as you need to work. 6" hole should do.

rdlangston13
03-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I wonder if an access port could be installed, similar to what's been discussed (and several have done) regarding the ski locker. I imagine there's foam in there, just like the ski locker. A 6in access port cover should be able to withstand the weight of the ballast bag without issue. Then you'd have access to the backing plate / nuts if they loosen over time.

I will bring this up with rinkers when I take it in there, sounds like a good idea to me and i'd like to get their take on it.

Rick, that job ran you 700 for both sides? I only need one side repaired and I can do without the new brackets, the slop in the platform really doesn't bother me at all. the only time i even notice it is if i grab it and shake it.

kaneboats
03-10-2012, 12:42 AM
If I was worried about the ballast weight I'd throw a piece of plywood in there and replace it every season. As long as you spread the weight there's nothing for it.