PDA

View Full Version : How to drain gas tank

Mooner
06-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know 'How to drain Gas tank,' for the outback LS 2000 model?

carsondoc
06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Why are you doing that?

zabooda
06-13-2005, 03:03 PM
If you need to get the gas and any other liquid (water?) out of the tank, I would recommend disconnecting the gas line after the fuel pump and place it in a gas can and run a 12 volt source to the fuel pump. Energize the pump away from the engine compartment to eliminate a spark and the potential for a kaaboooom.

wforic
06-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Mooner

Here is a "getto fabulous" or "backyard" way to do it. Pull you gas line off. Extend the hose or whatever you have to do (get a longer temporary line) to get it down through you drain hole under your engine compartment (I have an inboard). Place a container down there (hopefully the tank is not full). Then, go to the fuel overflow fitting on the outside of your boat. Take the cap and the thingy off. Blow into the overflow fitting and put you hand over it quickly. If you have a tube inflator, it will work also. This will pressurize the tank and "push" the fuel out. You may have to do it a few times and it will take a little time, but it will work. I don't recommend the "blowing into it method", but it works when you are in a fix- the fumes are a little tuff to deal with. Of couse zabooda's method is probally a little smarter!