PDA

View Full Version : General Questions

Halfcab
03-29-2003, 03:09 PM
I bought one of the last 02 Mobius LSV's on my dealers lot a few weeks ago. Just have a couple questions so far. Moomba and Indmar both recommend to use Pennzoil Marine 15w-40 oil. Well it just so happens that this oil isn't exactly easy to find. I was curious if it is ok to use Pennzoil long life 15w-40. It carries the same API service as the marine does. Also along those lines is it ok to use the standard Pennzoil SAE 30 in the V-drive. Their is no direction whether to use the marine version for this application.

Next I was wondering if someone could provide me some info on all aspects of cleaning the boat, i.e. recommended marine or general products for hull, aluminum, vinyl, etc. What works best for cleaning right after pulling boat from water, weekly/monthly washing, polishes, waxes.

I have heard different recommendations such as vinegar and water or meguiars quick clean marine for ramp cleaning, meguiars #10 clear plastic polish is awesome for monthly maintenance on gel, teflon polish is the best for annual care. The list goes on and on. Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Halfcab
05-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Maybe someone from Moomba could shed some light on this for me. Thanks!

noneya
05-28-2003, 09:39 AM
I was looking for the marine oil this weekend and was told by boat shops (who didnt have it so I dont think they were trying to BS me) that the regular engine oil and the marine is different, there are some additional additives in the marine.

I jsut wash w/ water after each day, about 1 per month use a meguires rv/boat gel wash. 3 times / year use wash using rv/boat gel , hard water spot remover (meguires) and meguires soft wax. Meguires is pricey but works great. I've heard the vinegar works good, but it takes off your wax. On the vinyl we use simple green. The carpet we use a woolite foaming carpet cleaner, and follow w/ Lysol to get that spring fresh scent!!

cola
05-28-2003, 09:17 PM
West Marine sells the Pennzoil 15w-40 marine (racing oil), but not in quart sizes. I've only found it in gallon sizes. If you don't have a West Marine near you, I believe they have a web site you may be able to order from. As far as cleaning, vinegar and water is great if you're boating in hard water ( Havasu, Mead, etc>) It's worth it's weight in gold for those types of lakes and rivers. Otherwise, I just use a soft chamois after I trailer the boat. If you have a good coat of wax, one that can be layered without buildup (One Grand Brand is the only one I know of) the simple wipe down is fine for several trips. I wash and wax after every 4 or 5 trips and my boat and trailer look like new (2000 Mobius). We only use one grand on our fleet of fire engines and trucks at work and they look amazing. Very easy to apply and remove by hand, and the results are awesume. Good luck