PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for freezing temps. Help....

wakeflip
03-05-2012, 09:15 PM
My 04 xlv is outside, and not winterized. I have a cover over it but the temps are supposed to get down around 27 degrees tonight. I was out a couple weeks ago so its full of water. What can I do to prevent this thing from freezing over tonight? Somebody told my to get a shop light and drop it down into the engine compartment and leave it on over night. They said the heat will keep the engine bay warm enough to not feeze over?? Is this legit or do I need to do something else? I dont have any anti freeze or anything here at the house but there is a local walmart.

Boonejeepin
03-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Not sure about your exact motor.

Pull the block drains/knock sensors (one in each side.

Uncouple the exhaust manifold hose to drain the exhaust.

Remove water pump j hose.

Disconnect both lines from the raw water pump.

Loosen cover on raw water pump to drain water.

Remove drain screw on you muffler.

Disconnect Heater lines if you have them at the block and then blow the water out.

Unscrew strainer cup if you have one.

Run your ballast pumps to put air in the lines and not water.

mmandley
03-05-2012, 09:35 PM
^^ he said. If your only reaching 27 tonight it wont be as big a concern to get all the water out, just unhook hoses to allow the expading water a pace to go. Another option is throw a shop light under your engine to produce heat, has to be old school bulb not LED or floorecent.

If you drain the block, heater hoses, and pull the untake hose if you have a strainer then you should be fine for a night. I personally never drain my heater block but then mine is indoors, i do drain the rest though.

jmvotto
03-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Yes I have heard the shop light trick, your low temps are only temporay overnight not-extended.you should be good with light or blanket. Put a water bottle on the fender and see if it freezes. I have kept the boat out with night I temps at that evel but during the day it warmed up.. My .02

wolfeman131
03-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Just for reference, it was over 50 today in GA with highs in 60's next 2 days and 70 Thursday. Some will say you can never be too safe with an engine block, but I bet you would be more than OK with the light. Put a cup of water in the bilge and check it overnight. If it looks like its turning to ice, turn the light on. Worst case, hook up the fake a lake and warm the block back up & wake the neighbors. The last will be especially effective if you crack a few suds and blast the stereo.

lsvboombox
03-05-2012, 10:16 PM
If you have a heated blanket go drape it over the motor on low for the night

Boonejeepin
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
I agree that if temps drop below freezing for a few hours there is not much to worry about but you will sleep better if you know there is no potential for a tragedy.

Forget the money for a second. Freeze repairs will cost you off water time.

I was paranoid enough to drain everything last night after hitting the river yesterday and the temps are only in the 30s at night here. I just sleep better that way.

wakeflip
03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I agree that if temps drop below freezing for a few hours there is not much to worry about but you will sleep better if you know there is no potential for a tragedy.

Forget the money for a second. Freeze repairs will cost you off water time.

I was paranoid enough to drain everything last night after hitting the river yesterday and the temps are only in the 30s at night here. I just sleep better that way.

Exactly my worry. Last thing I want to do is go out on the first warm day, ready to start my season and find out I have a cracked block. It would take me a full month if not more to throw a new motor in. I didnt drain the manifolds or anything but I did go ahead and throw a heated blanket on the motor and put in a light with a 60w bulb. I rechecked the weather and the low is 31. And thats only for a few hours so it should be alright. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be able to sleep alittle better tonight.

Boonejeepin
03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
You won't have any issues. I think it takes a hard freeze (days of below freezing) to do damage to the block. But just one night near freezing to ruin your restful night's sleep.

viking
03-05-2012, 11:04 PM
You won't have any issues. I think it takes a hard freeze (days of below freezing) to do damage to the block. But just one night near freezing to ruin your restful night's sleep.

Ditto that........and draining only takes 15min tops for peace of mind.

New Guy
03-06-2012, 10:59 AM
If it looks like its turning to ice, turn the light on. Worst case, hook up the fake a lake and warm the block back up & wake the neighbors. The last will be especially effective if you crack a few suds and blast the stereo.

Best idea yet!