PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Smell after checking on boat today

jpetty3023
03-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Had boat winterized in December and once I got it back I snapped on the cover and laid the mouse traps/bait (remember that). Fast fwd to today, I went and checked in on her and when I unsnapped the cover I caught a pretty good smell of gas fumes. Is this normal as its been put up and covered for a few months now or do I need to have concerns that something has come loose or is leaking?

I will obvisiouly air it out real good and make sure to use the blower before starting it up the first time but what's up with the strong smell of gas?

Thanks in advance

bergermaister
03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Mine has been covered for months as well - last time I opened it up a month or so ago I had gas fumes. Was a little leary about messing with any thing electrical at first but being open for a few minutes it cleared right up. I'd guess that's pretty common after being covered for so long in cooler weather.

jpetty3023
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks Berg. I was kind of thinking the same thing but at the same time seems a little weird, I don't know.

Razzman
03-05-2012, 07:43 PM
What's wierd about it? It's a gas fueled engine and your bound to get vapor fumes from the induction system. You think that's bad from your injected motor? Carbed motors vent twice the fumes! I would open my old boat up and damn near get high it was so bad! Designed a vent system for the cover so it could get rid of that odor! When I winterize I always pull the flame arrestor off and after oiling put a heavy platic bag and big rubber band around the intake throat.

kaneboats
03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
In FL we love them fumes. Helps keep the bugs away.

Sent from my EVO 28G using Tapatalk.

jpetty3023
03-05-2012, 11:07 PM
haha, ok so I take it from the jokes there's no worries with a little fumes coming from the boat. Guess now I'll invite my mom over to the storage unit and have her light up one of her cigarettes and catch up on old times. Thanks fellas!

viking
03-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how I can drive with my cover on. I like the smell :)

evoimport6
03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
I thought boats were supposed to smell like fiberglass and gasoline! I like the smell!

bergermaister
03-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Why do you think we hang out in the boat while it's sitting in the driveway and drink beer and listen to tunes?