PDA

View Full Version : Matress Buying

maxpower220
03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
So, our old matress was 11 yrs old and was still pretty comfortable. However, it was time for a new one. We shopped around a little and bought a Simmons spring matress in Super Plush in Sep. After a few days, we noticed a small amount of body depressions, these got worse every week. I weigh in at 160 and my wife less, so we aren't stress testing mattress springs daily. After only a few months, the bed was/is terrible. Called Rooms to Go and they sent a tech out, it has over 2" depressions where we sleep. Simmons contacted us and they are covering it under warranty.

So, we can get anything at RTG as a store credit and pay for any mattress over that price ($1400). So we a looking a memory foam beds. Does anyone have any experience with these type beds? We are now gun shy on getting another POS mattress. We are happy and surprised that Simmons is replacing it without a hassle. RTG doesn't carry sleep number beds, so that isn't an option.
Thanks.

skiyaker
03-04-2012, 09:59 PM
my wife and I just went through the mattress buying process and I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with simmons cause that's what we ended up with- happy so far but we're only 2 months out. Ours is firm underneath with a memory foam topper. I've talked to lots of people who love the entirely memory foam mattress but the only thing for me is that they can make it a little hard to roll over and I thought that would bug the snot out of me. We spent about an hour in a sleep number store and weren't that impressed- they seemed kind of like glorified air mattress.

evoimport6
03-04-2012, 10:32 PM
We have had a sterns and foster, latex core and it is one of the best investments we made. But I think it is a bit above the price point, think we paid around 2600 for a king.

mmandley
03-05-2012, 01:28 AM
I think ours is a Sealy but we got it fited to my back because i have so many problems, they made me lay down and did these pressure point tests on it. That mad ea huge difference.

We also use a 3insh memory foam top pad on it to make it even more comfortable.

As for full memory foam beds, my grandparents have 2 in the basement guest room. There nice in the fact they keep you warm because the foam holds in heat. They suck after sleeping 6ish hours as once they fully form to your boddy, it me is just felt hard. I never sleep good at her house. Its ok for a couple days and if im exhausted i will sleep all night but nothing is like my own bed.

A lot of places have 30 day trails, i would really try to see if you can get that deal to really test the bed out.

BensonWdby
03-05-2012, 08:51 AM
We have a relatively low priced - new - full sized bed we bought for the guest room at the lake.. Does not get a lot of use. But my son complained about it last time they used it so I picked up a 2 inch memory topper. I tried that this weekend and slept like a rock. Never felt the springs. The thing I have heard on full depth memory foam is that you end up sinking in too much and rolling over is like rolling out of a pit. I found that 2 inch is a good depth - in fact I am gonig to get a new 2 inch topper for the conventional King size we have here at the house.

kaneboats
03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I've heard the topper if fantastic too. Never tried one though. I usually sleep hanging upside down anyway.

E4NASH
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
We have a Tempurpedic and it really is the best mattress I have ever slept on but unfortunately not in the $1400 price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dusty2221
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
We have a Serta with a pillow top I believe, and within about 5 months there were body indentions. Now there is a crater in the middle. We bought a 3" Memory foam topper on black friday. The memory foam is def. a VERY nice improvement, and at first it kinda eliminated the lumps, but now it has kinda taken to the shape of the mattress. I would agree, rolling over is difficult with the 3".

We need to be looking into something new. I'm thinking with the topper we may be able to go with a less expensive, yet more firm mattress. I know one thing, I will never own another pillow top.

Iuno.

kaneboats
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Somewhere there's a joke about getting mattress advice from Dusty's mom-- can't think of it right now though.

Razzman
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I have arthritis bad in my lower back so I really need a good matress. We use Sealy and have never had an issue. That said the wife like's 'em soft. We bought a Sealy pillow top and after about a month neither of us could stand it, way too soft. Returned it and got a different matress, way to hard. Sound familiar? :D

Anyway she found these 3-4" memory foam toppers at Costco so she bought one, ahh just right! BUT they can be a bitch to move on because as said they conform to your body so in essence your in a pocket so when you move around at night whatever your wearing gets all twisted around you, especially if you have winter flannel sheets on the bed :mad:

Overall it's worth it though. Put one on the guest bed and everyone says how comfortable it is, that's assuming you can get the dogs off it it to sleep in the bed. :rolleyes:

newty
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
What ever Salvation Army or Good Will has at the time. Best prices around. Some of them don't even have stains or smell too bad!

sandm
03-05-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd like to try a sleep number bed. I think my number would be 69 :)

KG's Supra24
03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
I'd like to try a sleep number bed. I think my number would be 69 :)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmapn2rSTI1qzfdu3.gif

:p

kaneboats
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Uuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13518&d=1330967469

rc5695
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I've spoke with quite a few people with sleep number beds, and most if not all wish they hadn't bought them. They're just a big air matress. I've not liked the ones I've slept on at all (Ronald McDonald House).

We just bought a Sealy, pretty firm due to my back though. It is breaking in now and getting very comfy. We bought it from a store that ony sells matresses, and has been doing so for like 30 or 40 years now. They quite carrying Simmons because they quality sucked so bad (so they said). After going to a couple stores though, the Simmons really don't feel as nice as the Sealy's. The Sealy we just retired was about 13-15 years old. Was starting to sag in the middle, maybe 2".

I wanted to buy a Temperpedic SSOO bad, but just couldn't afford it, at twice the price. Same store, the guy warned not to buy a cheap memory foam matress, as they don't hold up as well and will hold heat worse. 1 thing to keep in mind with the memory foam matresses too, they tend to smell a little longer than a regualr matress, due to all the flame retardant chemicals they soak them in...

sandm
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
so for those with memory foam...

if you fall asleep on your stomach and wake up in the am with morning wood....

just thinking out loud..

chawk610
03-05-2012, 02:08 PM
LMFAO!!! No hiding it!

I had a sleep number bed... HATED IT. You either felt like you were sleeping on a bubble or sinking too far into it.

maxpower220
03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Sorry to confuse, we bought our last matress for $1400. So that is the "credit" that we have at the store. Now I think that is how much any nice matress should cost, but it is not my price limit.

Our Simmons is a Super Plush Soft matress because that is what the wife wanted and I can sleep on just about anything. I'm sure we just got a bad matress, so I don't rule out Simmons. We are probably going to get a Sealy iComfort memory foam bed. Unfortunately, the buyers remorse warranty is a 30-120 day that is only through the builder and not RTG. So, Sealy (and Therapudic) state that you must sleep on it for a minimun of 30 days up to 120 days and they will refund if you aren't happy. However, you (the buyer) must pay for shipping (since RTG is not involved in this process).

I have researched online, but was hoping that many of you had bought a memory foam matress and either loved it or hated it, to aid in my decision. Thanks for the info so far, nothing like making a $2600 mistake.

maxpower220
03-05-2012, 06:50 PM
I meant Serta, not Sealy.

BobP
03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
We have a Sleep Number bed...wife loves it, too soft for me even at highest setting. It doesn't feel like we are on an air mattress or anything like that, just too soft.

viking
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Get a waterbed. Everything comes back around at some point. Start it off :)

dusty2221
03-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Speaking of waterbed, we watched "How it's made" and they featured water beds. Now I grew up with an old waterbed and loved it until I got older, then I hated it. The show have the details and what not of the "new generation" of water beds...they look awesome! Way more technical than the blob of water I had. Got my curiosity up for sure!

sandm
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
talk about a pita to move...

there is a lot to be said for the "motion of the ocean" :)

I'll be sure and get my lava lamp to put on the dresser

SEARK
03-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Just got a Serta Memory Foam about 3 weeks ago. 8" foam layer with 2" gel top. Takes some getting use to going from a spring mattress. It's a lot firmer than the old mattress, but I'm starting to like it now. First couple of nights didn't sleep well and wondered if we made a mistake. Now I sleep really good on it. Best part is no sinking feeling when I sleep because I'm not falling in a hole any more.

maxpower220
03-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Just a last update. We ended up buying the Serta iComfort memory foam mattress. So far, we really like it. It really didn't take any transition a regular mattress. So, as long as it holds up, I think we have a winner.

If you are looking to buy a mattress, make sure that you look at and understand the rules for warranty. Beds are a lot of money to make a mistake on. I had no issues with Simmons or RTG, but I may have been lucky.

rc5695
03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
thanks for the update!!!

maxpower220
06-27-2012, 05:58 PM
No complaints. It is really holding up well. I still believe that it is softer at our home than the one at the showroom. I think it is the Prodigy. It was around $1800.