PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bearing protector

moombacraze
03-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I have Reliable bearing protectors on by boat trailer. Has anyone ever used these and know how the work? On my old boat I had bearing buddies. Do these work the same way? Attached is a picture.

mmandley
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I have Reliable bearing protectors on by boat trailer. Has anyone ever used these and know how the work? On my old boat I had bearing buddies. Do these work the same way? Attached is a picture.

This is all i found about that item.

This is a bearing protector for 2005, 2006 and 2007 MasterCraft single axle trailers with reliable oil bath hubs. This style of bearing protector threads in to place and has a small rubber o ring to create a seal. Please note this hub will work on single axle trailers only. This protector features a see through site glass which allows you to visually see how much oil is in your hub and to verify that it is not contaminated with water.

It sounds like to me its strickly just a cap at the end of your axle. It has a view window to check level. I have sealed bearing on my boat mate trailer and it has a see threw window to look at oil level.

These sell for apx 20 to 25 bucks so id say its strickly just a cap and thats all.

moombacraze
03-03-2012, 07:56 PM
That is all that I could find about them as well! I don't know if it would be worth while changing them out.

rdlangston13
03-03-2012, 09:22 PM
This is all i found about that item.

This is a bearing protector for 2005, 2006 and 2007 MasterCraft single axle trailers with reliable oil bath hubs. This style of bearing protector threads in to place and has a small rubber o ring to create a seal. Please note this hub will work on single axle trailers only. This protector features a see through site glass which allows you to visually see how much oil is in your hub and to verify that it is not contaminated with water.

It sounds like to me its strickly just a cap at the end of your axle. It has a view window to check level. I have sealed bearing on my boat mate trailer and it has a see threw window to look at oil level.

These sell for apx 20 to 25 bucks so id say its strickly just a cap and thats all.

you dont have that vault stuff on yours?

mmandley
03-03-2012, 11:41 PM
you dont have that vault stuff on yours?

Yes sir, I guess maybe you wouldnt call them sealed, but there maintenance free so i consider that sealed as in no service required, no need to refill them, and if they leak they are failing.

rdlangston13
03-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Yes sir, I guess maybe you wouldnt call them sealed, but there maintenance free so i consider that sealed as in no service required, no need to refill them, and if they leak they are failing.

then what is tha see threw window where you can see the oil? the vault system uses some special grease and i dont have a see threw window...

mmandley
03-04-2012, 05:19 AM
then what is tha see threw window where you can see the oil? the vault system uses some special grease and i dont have a see threw window...

Ill have to look at mine again but its got a dark center and i thought it was a see threw section, i might be mistaken but i was thinking i could see threw it to make sure the oil was there. I might be mistaken, its been a while since i looked at it. I just make sure nothing is leaking mostly.

moombacraze
03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
After some more digging around I found this thread. It has some great info if anyone else has the Reliable oil bath hubs.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?4169-Oil-Bath-Wheel-Bearing-Leak