PDA

View Full Version : Wake Problems

05mobiusxlv
06-12-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey, I just got to 20 hours and i got a couple of questions. First is my amp. I have the optional 4 channel kenwood amp that powers the optional sub and 2 tower speakers. And it shuts off for about 5 seconds, every minute, after a couple hours of use. I'm guessing its overheating. But just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem. I'm hoping its a faulty amp because it is really annoying. And i am really happy i got them 3 options. Because when it stops and all you hear is the 6 speakers the deck is powering, about 50% of the noise is gone. Second is my wake. I am having a horrible time with it. I have all 3 bags, C&C wakeboard prop, and the wakeplate. The Side i use for my tow side jumps is HORRIBLE, its not even a wake, its flat and white most of the time. I had 10 people on my boat this weekend, and it was the worst it has ever been. I tried the wakeplate in every possible position. I had every one in the boat switch positions so many times, they were getting sick of me. I looked at previous posts and all kinds of web sights. When you get a lot of people on, is the wake that touchy?????? The only time i can get it to look good is with less people. 3 days ago i was on a 2004 LSV on the same lake with 10 people, and the wake was huge and beautiful the entire time, and people were moving around all the time and the wake never collapsed like mine. I am out of ideas and really frustrated. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

smokedog2
06-12-2005, 10:37 PM
04 is the same hull etc. Ask them what they had loaded and why. My wake is better than I am right now.

SD2

06-12-2005, 11:59 PM
SD2, mine is an XLV and his is an LSV, he said he had 1200 pounds in aftermarket sacs in the rear, and the stock one up front. I have all stock sacs. He seen my mess of a wake and suggested that i post my problem so people that know their boats like yourself, could maybe help me. Think i should do an upgrade on my bags as well? I appreciate you taking the time to help me, and others new to moomba with their problems.

05mobiusxlv
06-13-2005, 12:00 AM
SD2, mine is an XLV and his is an LSV, he said he had 1200 pounds in aftermarket sacs in the rear, and the stock one up front. I have all stock sacs. He seen my mess of a wake and suggested that i post my problem so people that know their boats like yourself, could maybe help me. Think i should do an upgrade on my bags as well? I appreciate you taking the time to help me, and others new to moomba with their problems.

Shoemaker Mobius
06-13-2005, 11:00 AM
We have a 2004 Mobius LSV with the stock bag in the ski locker. We have added two 540lb sacks for the compartments next to the engine. When we fill the bags to capacity, and have some people positioned in the front of the boat, we have a huge, well-shaped wake. However, my son is currently at a wakeboard camp in Orlando that uses a Supra 24V and a Mobius XLV Gravity Games Edition boat. After riding behind both, my son says the XLV if by far the biggest and best shaped wake he's seen. They use the Gravity Games bags and have 4 students, a driver and the instructor in the boat. He's riddent behind the 2005 Malibu XLV and several other boats, but he swears the Mobius XLV has the best and largest wake.

So, long story short, I would highly recommend you get the GG bags. Also, the rule of thumb is 60% weight in the rear, 40% mid to front. What speed are you pulling at? With the XLV weighted in the 60-40 rule, you should be good anywhere from 18-28mph.

Also, check out the "Tuning the Wake" topic in the Wakeboarding section of this BB. It directs you to a wakeboarding website that has some good info on this.

smokedog2
06-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Ditto Shoemaker. xlv reports I get are that the wake is big.

SD2

NC05LSV
06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
To be honest I have never heard that complaint on an XLV, not doubting it, just never heard it. The XLV I have been behind threw a bigger wake than my neighbors SANTE. That being said, I had problems at first dialing in my LSV's wake. I found that the rear ballast was pretty critical and that I had to add more weight to the side that is breaking. this really made a difference for me and I enjoy a pretty massive wake now. If you use your ballast bags correctly, people can move around in a boat pretty freely without changing too much. You still have to pay attention but it is pretty forgiving. With no ballast filled it is different. Much more difficult to get the wake dialed in. Additionally, I started pulling at 21-22 mph and that also made a big difference...........Good luck

chpprpilot
06-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Check your ballast bags. The problem you describe is from an imbalance of weight in the boat. I had the same problem at first. I have an 05 XLV with the GG package. One of my bags kept popping out it's filler hose and empying into the bilge. The boat had a crusty wake on one side...of course my heelside! anyway, I fixed the hose connection and have run full bags and full passengers and the wake is AMAZING. It's better than I am right now and takes some getting used to. It took me about 20 hours to work out all of the bugs with the ballast, Perfect Pass and such, but the boat is dialed in now and it rocks the house.

05mobiusxlv
06-16-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the help, i will be taking it camping this weekend with 12 other people. And will use all your tips and hopefully get it looking good. But back to my first problem, i took it out today cruising (it was 30mph winds and the waves were bigger then my wake :p ) and my amp is getting worse. Within 15 minutes it was shutting off. And did it non stop all day. does it at least 5 times during 1 song when its all the way turned up. It didnt matter if the engine was running or not. Now i'm thinking its not overheating. I called my dealer and he said that it sounded like my battery was running low on juice. And that i may need to have 2 deep cycle batteries to keep up. Does that sound right? Or does it sound like a bad amp.

Buttafewcoe
06-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Maybe....but if you have the stock Kenwood, the pre-amp is prolly getting hot. Mine does it and the only way to get around it is turn the volume down to about the 2/3rds mark. You can adjust some of the bass out of it and get it a little louder. That technique seems to help with mine.
Hope this helps
Jim
North Carolina

NAW
06-17-2005, 03:13 PM
The problem with the wake is more than likely the middle ballast not staying full. Check all hoses and fittings, fill it up. If you check it about 10 minutes later and it's not as full, then there is a bad hose connection more than likely and you're losing water. Having too much weight in the back will cause the wake to be soft, mushy and curl way early.

Flatwater
06-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Regarding the wake, what speed are you going? With a boat with that much load I think you will need to go a little faster . Also I find that sometimes the ballast bags need to be burped of air. For the amp issue I would take it to the dealer. I am considering moving up to the XLV next year so I am interested in hearing how this works out.

doug0446
06-18-2005, 11:07 PM
I find that going 20 mph on my XLV produces a much better wake than even going 18.

Doug

05mobiusxlv
06-19-2005, 02:01 PM
When i got to the campground friday, i had my friends look at my amp. (i know NOTHING about stereo's) and they seen the side of the amp for the sub was bridged. They unbridged it, turned up the gain, and problem solved. 15 hours of use, and it never turned off once. As for the wake, We board anywhere from 21.5-22.5 mph. And we got the wake fixed my letting all of the water out of the rear bags. We had 11 people with, and tried everything. Then someone suggested that, and it worked. No matter were people sat, it always stayed big and clean, if the rear bags were dry. I have no idea why, but it worked.

chris harvey
07-20-2005, 02:02 AM
with people sitting in the rear of a xlv try filling just the front bag. we have the xlv with the gg ballast system and with three or more persons filling just the front bag makes a nice sculptured wake. as for your amp its bad. I have two amps, one for the six speakers and one for the sub. it sounds fine, but neither one is a kenwood amp. the amp could have a bad ground or the speakers could be out of phase.
a mistake that alot of wakeboard boat owners make is that they think they need all the ballasts filled to capicty. also check to see if your bilge has alot of water in it. keep trying and rock on.