PDA

View Full Version : Should Wake Plate Extend Lower?

Rusten
03-01-2012, 02:45 AM
When I put my wake plate in the lowest position possible (for slalom), it is flush with the bottom of the boat, almost like an extension of the bottom -- continuing back.

I always assumed this was intended, that it was the location Skier's Choice had intended. I've never see anyone else's wake plate position, so I have nothing else to go on.

This week I was out and it was the first time I noticed someone else's wakeplate position. I noticed that Mastercraft's wake plates extend *past* flush, so that when all of the way down, they actually push lower than parallel to the bottom, so that the bow pushes down even more.

Is this the intended location of Skier's Choice wakeplates as well, or is Mastercraft unique in that?

Also, we never use our Wakeplate all of the way up, so even if this is not the intended position, would it be possible to have something fabricated, so that it does extend lower?

Thank you in advance!
RKM

VA LSV
03-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Should extend past level so it creates a slight hook.

newty
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Your wake plate should only move up and down about 3/4". There isn't much movement in those things, however they really do make a differnce in the wake and the ride of the boat. My plate maybe comes down 1/4" past the plane of the hull.
May be a difference between plate postitions in OB, OBV, LS, LSV, XLV... Oh yea the Mojo too.

What boat do you have? Might want to put your boat in your signature, this will make answering questions about your boat easier.

kaneboats
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I think he has a Supra Launch 21v, maybe a 2005 or 2006. I can't remember.

Rusten
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow, Kane, you have an amazing memory. Yes, I have a 2005 Supra Launch 21V.

I also have a 2000 Moomba Kanga, but that doesn't have a wake plate ;-). I also plan on selling the Kanga soon because I don't have the room for both boats.

I wonder how I'll get the extra extension out of the wake plate, maybe I can have a metal shim fabricated to put an extension between the hydraulic arm and the plate itself.

I'm also thinking about having fins welded on to the wake plate. Mastercraft is doing this and they say it gives a smoother slalom wake. They're about 1" tall, and they have about three of them that extend across the wake plate. Being that I have a Launch (not great for Slalom) yet I slalom 50% of the time, I'm thinking this may be worth a try.

Thanks again for all of your input!
RKM

newty
03-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Look up the type of cylinder you have on your boat. I know there are adjustments in the ram itself. You can make it extend and contract further. Not sure how, but someone explained to me how the factory sets to fall with-in certain perameters because of liability reasons. I know I've seen those rams throw much further in other applications.

kaneboats
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Wow, Kane, you have an amazing memory. Yes, I have a 2005 Supra Launch 21V.

Well, I remember you were looking at the OBV and were going to see us in Clermont last year but then got a different boat. Don't ask my wife about my memory on June 26 though.

dru1974
03-01-2012, 10:47 PM
If memory serves me correct the plate from top to bottom adjusts about 4"

Rusten
03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Well, I remember you were looking at the OBV and were going to see us in Clermont last year but then got a different boat.
Kane - Interesting story on the OBV. I did attempt to "buy" the OBV. The local dealer put them up at a local, no reserve "auction" to clear out last year's models. At least that's what he claimed. We won the "auction", then were given a song and dance about how it was "up to the bank" whether they would accept our offer, and the "bank" would not take anything less than something like $52k. This was after we had put up our deposit and wasted a day and a half with the auction, registration, etc.

This was the second time that I became quite frustrated with the South Florida Skier's Choice dealer. The first was when I tried to get my Kanga worked on, and I learned they have no association with a service department, and unless my boat was under warranty, I couldn't even get in to the company they refer SC owners.

I decided I was going to switch to a brand that was supported locally, as Skier's Choice was not. Then, while shopping, I came upon a good deal on a Launch 21V. Of course once I paid the money and the $1,200 shipping, I received a boat with a blown engine. Eventually I developed a relationship with South Florida Mastercraft, who have been great in servicing the boat. And surprisingly, they've never once criticized or suggested I "upgrade" boats (which is more than I can say for many Mastercraft owners). They've been an amazing service department thus far.

In summary, suffice it to say that it's been a long, arduous journey, which is also why I missed you in Clermont :-).

Speaking of the OBV -- Whatever happened to Ed, who had provided me with all of the good advice? I did a search for some of his old posts, which were excellent, but have not been able to find any of them.

If memory serves me correct the plate from top to bottom adjusts about 4"

Thank you for that. When you say that it adjusts about 4" - do you mean that the total travel distance should be about 4" when it's working correctly, or do you mean that it can be adjusted up to 4" from the default min/max positions? On that note, does anyone know how it's adjusted?

Thanks again for all of your help :-).

dru1974
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Total travel,of about 4". I will check for certain tomorrow

VA LSV
03-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Double check your fluid reservoir. If it's low you may not have enough fluid to get full extension on the actuators.

lsvboombox
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Look up the type of cylinder you have on your boat. I know there are adjustments in the ram itself. You can make it extend and contract further. Not sure how, but someone explained to me how the factory sets to fall with-in certain perameters because of liability reasons. I know I've seen those rams throw much further in other applications.

if anyone has details on this please post

newty
03-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Speaking of the OBV -- Whatever happened to Ed, who had provided me with all of the good advice? I did a search for some of his old posts, which were excellent, but have not been able to find any of the posts.

Ed was asked to step down as a Moderator and when he left he deleted every thread that had is name in or on it.
Its a shame really, there was a lot of great info that was deleted when he did that, both in his and other folks threads.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

kaneboats
03-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes, he deleted many useful things, including many of mine and has never offered an apology for it. He believed in his twisted mind that he "owned" a thread if he started it and could delete all or any part any time he wished. Guy just had to go.

dru1974
03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
There are so many things i would like to say about old Edd..he had a lot to contribute.....anyhow i will let it slide>>>>

sandm
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
intrigued with this adjustable ram on the wakeplate.
perhaps a way to clean up and alter the surfwake more.. or in rusten's case, clean up a wakeboard wake to more of a slalom wake..

dru1974
03-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I know the newer rams are electric and not hydrolic but they really do help shape the wake!!!!

usaski1
03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
So, enough with Ed, and more on the wakeplates, on my 08 OB, I havea plate, but its non-adjustable.. at least if it is adjustable, to adjust it, I'd have to take it off and put some washers on it or something to make a difference. I think the adjustable version was like a $750 option. It currently looks flat with the hull. My goal would be to make the slalom wake smaller. Already put 80# in the nose.

Rusten
03-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Private Lake Owner?! Man am I j-e-a-l-o-u-s...

Here's my two cents on how you'd go about that. I have seen similar setups, but my impresion of yours may not be accurate. So I could be way off..

Assuming it has one or two fixed metal arms that hold it in place, I would remove those, bring them to a fabrication shop (find a smaller one-man operation, they're usually a lot better pricing for one-off work), and have them extend them by roughly 2" which should give you the 1"+ lip to push the nose down quite a bit more.

But the other thing that I had mentioned earlier, Mastercraft is welding fins on to the wakeplates, which wash out the wake a little more, making it even better for slalom. So if you're bringing the arms to the fabricator, maybe you can have him weld 3x 2" tabs that run down the tab, to serve this same effect.

I spent the last 20 minutes looking for an example photo on Google, but no luck. I believe it's on most Mastercraft 2011-and-later. It could have started earlier, I'm no expert on MC.

Hope that helps get the creative juices flowing if nothing else :-).

usaski1
03-06-2012, 12:27 AM
my plate is pretty fixed i think. Interesting note on the MC fins. I know that the newer MC's have a lip right on the back of the hull to bring down the nose i think. I know why that plate is on the back of the OB, and it has nothing to do with wake, and everything to do with porposing.. I think they screwed up the OB hull, and instead of recasting / tooling it, the plate is a band-aid fix on porposing.

Also, my house is for sale if you want it. $339k Austin, TX

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Real_Estate&postid=17607

rdlangston13
03-06-2012, 01:15 AM
my plate is pretty fixed i think. Interesting note on the MC fins. I know that the newer MC's have a lip right on the back of the hull to bring down the nose i think. I know why that plate is on the back of the OB, and it has nothing to do with wake, and everything to do with porposing.. I think they screwed up the OB hull, and instead of recasting / tooling it, the plate is a band-aid fix on porposing.

Also, my house is for sale if you want it. $339k Austin, TX

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Real_Estate&postid=17607

where you headed?

usaski1
03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Back to California... :-( I don't want to move, my wife hates it in TX.

Rusten
03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Since we're already way, way off topic ... what is it that she doesn't like about Austin? Everyone I've spoken to seems to love it there...

usaski1
03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Its the lack of family for her, and she lost a great job in CA that she has not been able to replicate here.. so were down 25k every year for the last 4 years. She doesn't like the heat and humidity, I don't have a problem with it.

kaneboats
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Buy a boat. Oh, shoot, you tried that. I love Austin. Wish I could move there now.

rdlangston13
03-06-2012, 11:14 PM
your down 25k a year but your cost of living probably dropped by 50k a year lol. i hate austin too, would never live there but every where else in TX is awesome. but since you are leaving, you should try and take some of the other californian migrants back with you haha

jpetty3023
03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Ahh David and his hatred for the austin area never gets old!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpetty3023
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
How many times you been this way in your life David? Is your hatred for austin strictly based on that college whooping your college arse in dang near everything every year maybe?

wolfeman131
03-08-2012, 11:11 AM
LOVE college football smack talk in March!

Had a business lunch yesterday with a North Carolina fan, Duke fan (those 2 stuck to basketball), Alabama fan, Texas fan and Ohio State fan. It was fun!

rdlangston13
03-08-2012, 12:51 PM
How many times you been this way in your life David? Is your hatred for austin strictly based on that college whooping your college arse in dang near everything every year maybe?

I used to frequent that area as a child when my aunt and uncle lived in an Austin suburb. My distaste for Austin has nothing to do with its geographical location, land scapes or any of that. Just mainly that the University of Texas is one of the most disgustingly liberal left wing schools in the nation and is therefore not a decent representation of Texas as a whole which is a more conservative state. I have many friends who went to UT or are UT fans and most of the alumni I know admit to this. In fact Austin being the capital of Texas is also a horrible misrepresentation of the state for it more resembles San Francisco than anything in Texas. These are the reasons I despise that place, and what makes it even worse is that it IS the capita and it IS the main university. I think the capital and main university of a state should bear a much closer resemblance to the state than what Austin and UT do.

I also drove through Austin a couple of years ago at 3' o clock in the after noon on a Sunday and was locked in gridlock traffic for hours coming home from a camping trip. This is why I hate Austin.

kaneboats
03-08-2012, 01:56 PM
That's how everybody in downstate IL feels about Chicago. Unless the Bears are playing.

jpetty3023
03-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I can agree with you on some of your stated points and disagree with you on some. Traffic does blow huge balls no doubt thou.

usaski1
03-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Aww.. UT is awesome... and Liberal... that's a good thing! Austin is pretty liberal, maybe it shouldn't be the capital of TX? After All, Austin is the San Francisco of the south. :D

wolfeman131
03-08-2012, 08:40 PM
So, its got queers & steers?

rdlangston13
03-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Aww.. UT is awesome... and Liberal... that's a good thing! Austin is pretty liberal, maybe it shouldn't be the capital of TX? After All, Austin is the San Francisco of the south. :D

not a good thing. Texas is successful as a state because we are conservative. California is going broke because of the libs. :)

KG's Supra24
03-09-2012, 12:37 AM
^ wow, that is way broad

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk