PDA

View Full Version : Exile ZLD Pre-order NOW!

Razzman
02-28-2012, 02:33 PM
FYI: Just got an email from Exile, anyone that wants to pre-order one of Exile's new ZLD's jump on it! MSRP is $200 but for pre-orders it's an amazing $60 off! $140 is a super killer deal! Go HERE (http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/add-ons/zone-controller-preamp.html) to check it out!

mmandley
02-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I have one going in my boat this spring, i got a change to fiddle with the live model back in the fall of 2011, almost put it in the boat then but summer was almost over and didnt want to rewire my set up. Since then several revisions were made and this item is sweet.

Its aimed towards the WS420 but its still very different.
Big thing is no Mic on this little baby.
Good thing, the eq adjustments are automatic in the fact you dont set the indivual frequency as you adjust it up and down on trebel and bass it move all the bands to there proper curves.

I know for some they like all the levers and switches but i can say since i went to Exile brands and use only there cross overs for tunning, i have never touched a bass/trebel adjustment again and the music sounds so much richer and cleaner.

I will be installing one in March time frame and will give some reports after the stereo upgrade.

I know this doesnt help you now if you want the discount.

moombadaze
03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
dangnabit, this comes out now after I basically just got done redoing most of the system

where would you mount this

mmandley
03-02-2012, 08:39 AM
dangnabit, this comes out now after I basically just got done redoing most of the system

where would you mount this

I mentioned several time Exile is comming out with new gear bro, This is why i mentioned im gutting my stereo, but cant say whats going in it, and also why it hasnt started yet. Still waiting on Exile gear to show up.

Boat does go into Wakemakers for new Ballast system going to be filling my new 4K ballast in about 10 minutes.

As for the LZD i bought a blank panel for the toggle switches on the dash a couple years ago. Im going to move all those switches up about an inch and flush mount this right under those.

Or it can be mounted under dash, or on the side of the side panel with the throttle.

PM me and i might be able to enlighten you on some things going into Fierah this year.

sandm
03-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I really want one of these..

problem is I also really want a new board this year and gps-based perfect pass...

decisions.. decisions... decisions....

kaneboats
03-02-2012, 01:02 PM
You sound nothing like your avatar suggests.

sandm
03-02-2012, 01:37 PM
You sound nothing like your avatar suggests.

thanks for correcting me lovey......

kaneboats
03-02-2012, 01:46 PM
LOL, I almost called you lovey.

brain_rinse
03-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Gentlemen, let's keep the gloves up. I for one would love to hear how this is similar AND different from other options on the market like the ws420 and clarion eq.

KG's Supra24
03-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh come on mods!!! Lol .. glad I saw that one :)

Well a couple differences from a novice point of view ...

The exile does not have a mic

The wetsounds is more technical where the exile is more simple minded.

The exile uses a fader style volume control between boat and tower where the wetsounds is independent zone volume control.

I keep seeing that exile has independent sub control. Not completely sure how that is different from adjusting the bass on the wetsounds.

What I am a little confused about is how I keep seeing exile peeps say there is no mic like it is a selling feature?

Fwiw, I have the krpyt version.

Sidenote: I am anxious to hear someone review the air puck and the differences between it and other Bluetooth devices. I did find it a little odd that noone had much interest when I posted over winter about using Bluetooth and when exile came out with their version more seemed intrigued ... Guess that is just my rant on a seemingly biased site

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
03-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Guess that is just my rant on a seemingly biased site

Well, maybe if someone got a sweet Wetsounds system installed and posted praises about it, we'd have less bias.

KG's Supra24
03-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Well, maybe if someone got a sweet Wetsounds system installed and posted praises about it, we'd have less bias.

How about I post praises about your mom, mmmk? :D

wolfeman131
03-02-2012, 11:34 PM
You mean after she installs your system?

mmandley
03-03-2012, 03:47 AM
IDK if the Exile not having a mic is a good or bad tng, I don't know if having a mic on the WS420 is a good point or bad point. Personally I have no use for a mic.

As for the differences in the zone controls,

WS420 allows the adjustment of the tower
It allows separate adjustment of cabin/sub

Exile allows adjustment of the tower
It has separate adjustment for the cabin
It has separate adjustment for the subwoofer

There is a separate adjustment for the sub comes into play for people like me is, I tune my sub and then I play some older music. It needs a little more bass so I can turn that volume up a little more to add a little more thump.
Say later were playing dance music with a ton of bass and now at full volume my sub is starting to over extend, now I can turn just the sub down a little.

When I tune my sub its based on sounds and also maximum safe volum based on heavy bass laden music. I dont want to worry about blowing my 2k sub setup. But there's times when at. Lower volume in the cabin you just don't need all that sub or you play music with less bass and want to crank just the sub up, the separate sub control allows this.

I can't give you the details how the processor works as in sound processor but it's a Burr Brown and if you know Burr Brown from the audio industry then you should know that type of level and quality and sound.

Even if I wasnt a fan of Exile then I still would lean to the Exile ZLD due to what it's got inside it, the fact I don't need a mic, and the fact so fare I haven't found any other marine, car audio that compares to the level as Exile.

EarmarkMarine
03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
As I stated before it makes little sense to mention a Wetsounds product in an Exile thread. But it has happened. So in order to correct perceptions about what the Wetsounds WS420 'actually' does without reference to any other product...
Wetsounds WS420 equalizer:
Two completely independent equalizers in a single chassis. One for the tower and one for the in-boat zone. Obviously the in-boat speakers are comprised of a 3-way system, are surrounded by a coaming structure and normally listened to within a 5 foot proximity. Contrastly the tower speakers are suspended in open air and are often asked to project at 80 feet. Wetsounds believes that IF you are going to use equalization that these two zones have little in common.
A paragraphic bass EQ. This dual control enables you to choose the hinge and turnover frequency of the bass gain control. So it addresses different subwoofers in different enclosures, different listening conditions plus different types of music including rock, country, hip hop or an old analog versus a newer digital recording. For example, if you want to increase the low bass then you can slide the bass region most affected a little lower in order to cut some of the boominess or keep the sub out of the vocal range. Or if you want more bass but you want to limit the potential for subwoofer damage then you can slide the frequency a little higher and impact a broader range of program material. If you want a little more bass while underway and in combination with your tower speakers then just give the bass gain control a little boost. A very useful tool if you just take a little time to fully understand its many applications.
The WS420 has a mic and a full PA system onboard. Its a great instructional tool for training the young ones, like, " Lean back and stop trying to PULL yourself up and out of the water. Let the boat do the work."
The WS420 has an auxilary input so that you can use any Bluetooth device with it.

David
Earmark Marine

KG's Supra24
03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Exile allows adjustment of the tower
It has separate adjustment for the cabin
It has separate adjustment for the subwoofer

That is not my understanding of the product. My understanding is that it uses a fader between tower and cabin, NOT independent volume controls. Although for the most part it accomplishes the same thing it is different. Example, 2 boats are tied up listening to the cabins quietly while the talk among themselves. Dusty's mom comes by and says I'll go home with the first one to play me some loud music. :grin: The boat with the ZLD has 2 steps, they have to turn the master volume up and then fade to in the middle or towards the tower. The boat with the WS simply turns the tower volume up. There is no master volume with the WS, it has independent volume control.

I don't believe the bass control works the same way with both. David looses me a little bit in technicality but I think the WS adjust the frequency? Either way, I have been able to adjust the amount of thump I get from my EQ.

Even if I wasnt a fan of Exile then I still would lean to the Exile ZLD due to what it's got inside it, the fact I don't need a mic, and the fact so fare I haven't found any other marine, car audio that compares to the level as Exile.

Mmandley, in an attempt to tone down the bias, bc it does appear that you know alot about stereo (def not doubting you there) what else have you used that you are comparing to? From my understanding you went from factory kicker to Polk DB's to Exile? When you say you haven't found any other audio that compares have you compared to anything in the same class such as wetsounds, bullet, jl, higher end polk, etc? I'm not doubting the quality of Exile but to tout it as all superior makes me say "meh".

Disclosure: I do not have the WS eq. I have the Krypt version which from my understanding is similar to the first generation of the WS eq.

Razzman
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
The WS420 has a mic and a full PA system onboard. Its a great instructional tool for training the young ones, like, " Lean back and stop trying to PULL yourself up and out of the water. Let the boat do the work."

Which also happens to be extremely annoying when your on the lake relaxing and some azz hat blasting azz crap music keeps coming past you blaring at his kids over a mic. One of my local lakes is run by the Corp of Engineers and they've pretty much outlawed that. Some douche was out at 6AM near the campground doing the above and they ran him down and told him not to use it again as it's disruptive, invasive and reserved for law enforcement. Yup they said that. Thank gawd!

KG's Supra24
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I know for some they like all the levers and switches but i can say since i went to Exile brands and use only there cross overs for tunning, i have never touched a bass/trebel adjustment again and the music sounds so much richer and cleaner.

When I tune my sub its based on sounds and also maximum safe volum based on heavy bass laden music. I dont want to worry about blowing my 2k sub setup. But there's times when at. Lower volume in the cabin you just don't need all that sub or you play music with less bass and want to crank just the sub up, the separate sub control allows this.

I need 10 characters of my own words ....

Razzman
03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Can I make a suggestion here? Let's chill on the direction this thread is going. I started this to let peeps know about the deal, not to start a war or bash anyone.

KG's Supra24
03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Which also happens to be extremely annoying when your on the lake relaxing and some azz hat blasting azz crap music keeps coming past you blaring at his kids over a mic. One of my local lakes is run by the Corp of Engineers and they've pretty much outlawed that. Some douche was out at 6AM near the campground doing the above and they ran him down and told him not to use it again as it's disruptive, invasive and reserved for law enforcement. Yup they said that. Thank gawd!

A manufacturer can only provide an option, not control how the user uses the option.

It blows my mind how having an option is turned into bad thing ... and slightly annoying that the only ones that see it as a bad thing are the Exile loaded boats :rolleyes:

Exile, you have good products!! Tell us about your good products!! No need to tear others down, right??

KG's Supra24
03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Can I make a suggestion here? Let's chill on the direction this thread is going. I started this to let peeps know about the deal, not to start a war or bash anyone.

Fair enough. My goal isn't to bash anyone, just to get a somewhat fair convo going.

jmvotto
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Come on guys play nice.

Ws 420 and Krypt very similar , different components, does essentially the same thing.

Exile on the surface looks like a clarion eq with, better components , line drive and seperate sub control.

Fit the bill with your needs, razz was just pointing out a good deal.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Disclosure. I have owned all three brands, with no clarion marine and they all did what I designed them for.....02 cents

wolfeman131
03-03-2012, 11:51 AM
they all did what I designed them for.....02 cents

wait, jv - you're a designer? like and electronics or a fashion designer? did you design those daisy duke board shorts?

wolfeman131
03-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I'll respectively disagree on the mic with the preference that it should be used correctly and not by an "asshat."

I can envision where it would be extremely helpful for instruction while allowing the driver to remain facing/looking forward while watching the rider in the mirror. I've witnessed a few near misses with boats, docks, people, etc when the driver is turned around coaching and has lost sight of where they are going.

Maybe more useful to me is the ability to call off the asshats on the jeetski or 70's-era bass boat that feels it necessary to get right up on my rider to jump the wake or just get a closer looky-loo. Wish the po-po were as diligent with that as the noise coming from the tower.

EarmarkMarine
03-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Okay, so Razz shared a buy on a new product introduction to the members as a good service. Cool.
Then another brand of competing product was introduced into the discussion. I think that correction has been pointed out and we know what that has led to on this and other forums.
If anyone wants to get more information on the other product then start a new thread. I'll be happy to talk objectively about any product in nano detail if you like. If I glaze over something that is too technical then ask me to go into a better explanation.

David
Earmark Marine

mmandley
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
That is not my understanding of the product. My understanding is that it uses a fader between tower and cabin, NOT independent volume controls. Although for the most part it accomplishes the same thing it is different. Example, 2 boats are tied up listening to the cabins quietly while the talk among themselves. Dusty's mom comes by and says I'll go home with the first one to play me some loud music. :grin: The boat with the ZLD has 2 steps, they have to turn the master volume up and then fade to in the middle or towards the tower. The boat with the WS simply turns the tower volume up. There is no master volume with the WS, it has independent volume control.

I don't believe the bass control works the same way with both. David looses me a little bit in technicality but I think the WS adjust the frequency? Either way, I have been able to adjust the amount of thump I get from my EQ.

Mmandley, in an attempt to tone down the bias, bc it does appear that you know alot about stereo (def not doubting you there) what else have you used that you are comparing to? From my understanding you went from factory kicker to Polk DB's to Exile? When you say you haven't found any other audio that compares have you compared to anything in the same class such as wetsounds, bullet, jl, higher end polk, etc? I'm not doubting the quality of Exile but to tout it as all superior makes me say "meh".

Disclosure: I do not have the WS eq. I have the Krypt version which from my understanding is similar to the first generation of the WS eq.

In my boat yes thats correct on the brands. I also spent time listening to WS and there set ups. I just didnt care for the way they sounded. I listened to the Pro 80s, Pro 60s, and Pro 485.

As for car speakers i have had tons, Infinity, Polk, JL audio, Pioneer, Bose, Kicker, Rockford Phosgate, MB Quart, and several less the mentionable brads.

I was refering to Marine quality speakers.

Its strange because like said before this is a forum of public thoughts and opinions yet it seems when one person who prefers 1 brand makes any comment or comparison to another and someone else doesnt like it then it becomes this huge debate. This is the reason so many people call Wake World Hate World.

Like i have said before, Name a place and thread where i have ever Downtalked someones idea, thoughts, opinions of stereo brands. Never, you wont find one. I have never said X brand is worthless, or not worth buying, or anything.

Everyone has Brand loyalty thats the way it is.

If i make a comment about a peace of equipment and you dont agree then thats fine disagree, thats what called freedom of speech.

So often it seems especially in the electronics threads people get talked over the top of, and i for one can say this is why so rarly do i participate in the audio threads anymore.

So as for this thread ill step out. Moderators feel free to delete the rest of my posts in this thread, i frankly dont care anylonger.

jmvotto
03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
wait, jv - you're a designer? like and electronics or a fashion designer? did you design those daisy duke board shorts?

You funny guy you.... Wait til I break out my 80, mesh half shirt, with my six pack I know I have somewhere. Lol

Fwiw. I agree with Wolfe on the mic, but it's only as good as the user... It's nice to have when you need it.

I am sure at the ww bump party's its a great wooing mechanism to get hot chicks on your boat... Lol

Razzman
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I'll respectively disagree on the mic with the preference that it should be used correctly and not by an "asshat."

I can envision where it would be extremely helpful for instruction while allowing the driver to remain facing/looking forward while watching the rider in the mirror. I've witnessed a few near misses with boats, docks, people, etc when the driver is turned around coaching and has lost sight of where they are going.

Maybe more useful to me is the ability to call off the asshats on the jeetski or 70's-era bass boat that feels it necessary to get right up on my rider to jump the wake or just get a closer looky-loo. Wish the po-po were as diligent with that as the noise coming from the tower.

I can envision it as well, but unfortunately my personal experiences are just the opposite. It's a tool that has a potential purpose and should be used responsibly yet everytime i've seen it in use it's been just the opposite and very annoying. Everyone elses experiences may be different, these are just mine.

Razzman
03-03-2012, 12:37 PM
In my boat yes thats correct on the brands. I also spent time listening to WS and there set ups. I just didnt care for the way they sounded. I listened to the Pro 80s, Pro 60s, and Pro 485.

As for car speakers i have had tons, Infinity, Polk, JL audio, Pioneer, Bose, Kicker, Rockford Phosgate, MB Quart, and several less the mentionable brads.

I was refering to Marine quality speakers.

Its strange because like said before this is a forum of public thoughts and opinions yet it seems when one person who prefers 1 brand makes any comment or comparison to another and someone else doesnt like it then it becomes this huge debate. This is the reason so many people call Wake World Hate World.

Like i have said before, Name a place and thread where i have ever Downtalked someones idea, thoughts, opinions of stereo brands. Never, you wont find one. I have never said X brand is worthless, or not worth buying, or anything.

Everyone has Brand loyalty thats the way it is.

If i make a comment about a peace of equipment and you dont agree then thats fine disagree, thats what called freedom of speech.

So often it seems especially in the electronics threads people get talked over the top of, and i for one can say this is why so rarly do i participate in the audio threads anymore.

So as for this thread ill step out. Moderators feel free to delete the rest of my posts in this thread, i frankly dont care anylonger.

I agree with you 100% on this Mike, and that's also the reason I stay out of most of these as well. It seems that one cannot talk audio anymore without a bitchfest starting up with a war waged about the attributes of one brand against the other, and it's usually one against the world :rolleyes:

Brianinpdx
03-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Guys - I just took 15 mins reading all these posts. I for one, like the moomba forum because it is a good group of people. I’m sorry to say this thread is beginning to look like a typical Exile versus wetsounds. David, why are you even in this thread? Let these guys talk. Everyone has their take on things. It’s interesting to see how Mike see’s the ZLD. And right or wrong, its not anyones place to discourage peoples point of view. Especially vendors. If Jmv views the ZLD is a clarion, so be it. It’s not my place to give him 20 reasons why its not. I don't mean to offend anyone with my view, but feel strongly we should let moomba owners talk amongst themselves.

Look guys, the 420 is a great unit. It does a lot of nifty stuff. It’s inevitable that the Exile ZLD is going to get compared to it. This is Exile’s solution to zone control. I’ve been involved with product development for god knows how long now--25 years? Let me explain clearly to everyone how things like the ZLD come to reality.... We take a look at whats out on the market, what the high and low points on each product are. Yes we looked at the 420, the Arc XEQ, the Acontrol 3.1, the clarion, and a few others. In every single instance, the story is the same--- It comes down to costs every time. Every feature has a cost. Period. None of these manufacturers lost their marbles and forgot to put something like a microphone in their design. Some manufacturers valued that feature and felt it important to include. Get my drift here? There are pluses and minuses to everything.

Here’s the 411 on the ZLD and why its in there: Our goal was to build something that #1 is easy to use, and #2 is a sound quality piece that wont break the bank. At retail we wanted it positioned not to exceed 200.00. As stated above, every single thing in the box has a cost. So how the heck do we do that. I’ll tell you how, have a lot of damn meetings and evaluate costs/feature sets six ways from sunday. Thats how.

For example, if we eliminated just the Burr Brown sound op amps we could reduce overall product costs by almost 18%. That could afford us some other features. If we didn't opt for big easy to use knobs on the front panel, we could put more features in. If we made the thing a double Din size physically, we could load up with features. In tandem to these product development tasks, we listen carefully to what our beta testers tell us. 4 people in the usa, and 2 people in australia, got the benefit to use prototypes last year. Each of them had a lot input. The consensus is they all valued the highest possible sound quality at the expense of some other advanced features. Every one of them wanted full independent subwoofer control like Mr Mike has mentioned. And Mike - I’m sorry your boat wasn't one of the beta testers. I know you wanted one. I have however appreciated your comments on how you’d utilize it.

Next point I’d like to make and then I’ll get off my high horse, is pre orders. Many people have asked me why anyone in their right mind would discount something brand new. Fair question. This is Exile giving back to all the people that have supported us over the years. There is no way we can really distinguish who is a past exile customer and who's a new one that just wants to get in on a deal. Our intention is to give back to you guys. It’s the first time we’ve done something like this and the response has been phenomenal. Anyone can pre-order from any authorized retailer at the discounted price. This is a USA wide promo only and will end when they begin shipping.

Bottom line: We hope everyone will enjoy this new product from Exile. You have more choices out there for your boat stereo. And thats a good thing.

-Brian
Exile Audio

KG's Supra24
03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I personally don't understand why the exile crew is getting so butt hurt. Nothing negative had been said about it!!!

Mike said it had independent volume control when in fact it does not. I believe that is the only controversy thus far? If someone said they like fords independent front suspension id say they must have mistaked it with Chevy.

David chimed in to explain the actually differences as mike said they were very similar.

The poor pitiful me is pathetic especially with the larger following exile has here.

I don't give a sh!! About either brand personally, I just want accurate facts displayed. I think the exile unit will be a huge sell and would consider it myself if I didn't already have an eq, non wetsounds.

Oh, and I guess the microphone thing .. my pet peeve there was seeing someone with a signature like Mike's say they don't know if a mic is a good thing or a bad thing, insinuating it could be a bad thing ... how could it be a bad thing? It's like an aux plug on a head unit. If you don't want it don't use it. I guess it's the tone of the post that have made me reply as often as I have in this thread.

kaneboats
03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Posts in threads mix facts, opinions and even factual statements that are simply incorrect. Sometimes when a later poster suggests an earlier stated fact may be incorrect the original poster hears either: "I disagree with your opinion because you don't know what you are talking about" or "You're a liar". It seems that was not the intent here at all.

One thing we can all do is try to make sure any statements of fact we make are as true and correct as possible. Another thing we can do is to preface a factual correction with something like, "While I value your opinion, I think you may have misstated a specific fact".

It's hard to just have a beer with someone online like you would on the dock and hash it out. But, I think we can do a better job of having civil discussions without hurting feelings and having people feel like they need to bail on a conversation. I'd much rather have BOTH KG and MMandley involved in the discussion as I value input from them and from everyone else.

wolfeman131
03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
David, why are you even in this thread? Let these guys talk. Everyone has their take on things. I don't mean to offend anyone with my view, but feel strongly we should let moomba owners talk amongst themselves.

All I read of your post was the above and think maybe you should live by your own words.

Your opinion is biased, as would Phil's from Kicker as would Tim's from Wetsounds.

I've enjoyed the technical insights from all the vendors, but we may soon have to revert to the days of no vendors allowed.

Razzman
03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
To preface Kane's statement, I got just the opposite out of Brian's post, I heard no bias at all. Not because I have Exile and not because I don't like one brand or another. What I got IMO was Brian trying to clear the mystique of what the ZLD does and why they did what they did, period. In fact I didn't read anyhting that touted it above or compared to any other vendors merchandise.

Again IMO I honestly think Brian goes out of his way not to do that when he very easily could. I think the vendors on here are an extremely valuable asset to this forum and without them we'd have way to much misinformation disseminated resulting in botched projects. As an example I took some "gospel" advice from one of our audio experts which was completely wrong and resulted in my having to redo some of my last install. If that can happen then think what'll happen without them. Do we want to be nazis in governing this forum to the point that it hurts all concerned? What we have here is extremely rare, why not use it wisely?

I don't get why everyone is up in arms over this type of stuff. They are here to assist us, not at our personal beck and call I might also add of which I know for fact does happen. I also think that people take crap way to seriously here. Lighten the reins a bit guys, there's no need to start little battles over who-has-what or what-that-does. My opinion is; Who cares? If you need information ask the expert direct, don't start crap here because someones having a bad day, has their panties in a wad or just plain doesn't like someone or their product. All it does is hurt the forum and cause dissention.

Of course all the above is my opinion so take it for what it's worth. And Kane is correct, virtual beers are impossible.

mmandley
03-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I personally don't understand why the exile crew is getting so butt hurt. Nothing negative had been said about it!!!

Mike said it had independent volume control when in fact it does not. I believe that is the only controversy thus far? If someone said they like fords independent front suspension id say they must have mistaked it with Chevy.

David chimed in to explain the actually differences as mike said they were very similar.

The poor pitiful me is pathetic especially with the larger following exile has here.

I don't give a sh!! About either brand personally, I just want accurate facts displayed. I think the exile unit will be a huge sell and would consider it myself if I didn't already have an eq, non wetsounds.

Oh, and I guess the microphone thing .. my pet peeve there was seeing someone with a signature like Mike's say they don't know if a mic is a good thing or a bad thing, insinuating it could be a bad thing ... how could it be a bad thing? It's like an aux plug on a head unit. If you don't want it don't use it. I guess it's the tone of the post that have made me reply as often as I have in this thread.

I completly agree with you here man, i was mistaken and once you called it out specifically i went and looked a few more things up and leanred about it. I was miss understanding the tower cabin control as a fade because what i understood was i can lower my tower seperate and my cabin seperate when in fact it fades from tower to cabin. I also might have a couple facts wrong thinking of an earlier revision of the unit.

As for the Mic thing, i can understand you not understanding and or liking me say i dont see the use in it. I guess in my mind, i have never used it, i have never seen it live in a boat, nor have i ever even herd one on the lakes and rivers up here. Yes im sure they are present but never herd any of it. I completly understand your point on its an option and its nice to have those options. I think deep down i just know id end up being one of them that only used it to yell at stupid people on the lake behind us, and end up in a brawl at the dock LOL

I know i get heated at times and passonient at times, thats a good and bad flaw depending on what side of the coin your on with me.

The good thing is i dont hold it against you or let it make me think any less of your thoughts.

As for me when i reach my maximum point of frustration i have 2 options, stand and fight, or walk away and cool off. This is why i said im done in this thread, this is also why i mentioned i dont post in the audio as much, because all i come here for is to help people, learn from people, and share my experiences as most of us do. I used to go toe to toe with an old FL brother but it makes the site look cheap and in the end i would lose since they had a delete button and i dont.

I have the same issue with a vender that frequents here but its due to so often reading posts where in his mind hes helping, and in reality to most hes talking so fare over their head they arnt benefitting from his help. If you just come one here and talk at the level people are asking there questions then it would be so much easier to deal with. When someone asks whats different between X brand and Y brand then tell them what you think is different, not get engineer tech based on them explaining the electrical architecture and materials used to make a product. This gets me heated so fast because people like a simple straight forward answer, not smoke and mirrors of how im smarter then you and im going to throw it out in your face.

I miss some venders that dont frequent any longer for that simple fact. I dont want the venders to leave because as we all have said they help a lot, they clear a lot of things up but just like anything, this site it to help people not wage a brand war.

I do appologize to my Moomba brethern for whats happened here these last couple days, i still love you all and would have a real beer with you all if i was closer to everyone. Its always easier to disagree in person and hash things out as you have live conversation right then and there, not post, wait, repost, wait..

sandm
03-03-2012, 08:28 PM
man, lots of man-drama here over a new product :)

I see them both as similar but different and each one has it's pro's and con's.

I'm on the fence as to ordering one as it will fit the bill in my boat as I have NO desire to have a mic in the boat. I see no benefit to it, but I also understand those that do and am glad there is a ws product available that will fit their needs as well. great to live in a country with many choices for something as simple/stupid as this for a boat :)

matt75
03-03-2012, 10:48 PM
I agree with what Mike said. I'm an IT consultant and I don't give clients all the details. Vendors are experts in their business, and I look for them to explain to us in 'laymans terms'. Something we can understand and gain knowledge from one product or another for our use.
I'm in the market for an eq. I do like the Exile for the large controls/knobs I see in the pics. I rarely spend time at the cove, as the river is too deep. I'm interested in something I can set my head unit to a volume number, and then force sound between the cabins and tower. It's looking like the Exile fits my needs as I don't foresee myself using a mic frequently.

kaneboats
03-04-2012, 12:02 AM
I got the Krypt one because it was cheap. I wanted the separate tower and in boat speaker control. I got the mike-- might use it, might not. If I do I'll try to annoy everyone around me, especially jetskiers. I would not have paid more than $99 for one of these things though-- any brand.

viking
03-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Holy Chit Storm! I step away for the weekend and this is where this thread went?
There was a pretty good discussion on the product before it was available for order where Brian explained what it was, what it wasn't, and why they did what they did:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17115-A-little-birdy-showed-me...&highlight=exile+product

Simmer down everybody :) Can't we all just get along?

ChrisK
03-05-2012, 01:56 AM
This forum would be boring if people like you guys didn't get fired up about new products in the marine industry. I think discussions like this are great, especially because I don't think there's any true bad blood here. Keep it up, it's a fun read!

Nobodyrides4Free
03-05-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the heads up Razzman! It is apreciated. I have on question, does the exile EQ let you link to others systems?

Was gone all weekend and didnt have time to real all 4 pages.Wow.

KG's Supra24
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I have on question, does the exile EQ let you link to others systems?

Someone else will have to chime in on whether or not you can link with a wired connection ...

You can link to other systems wirelessly by using the wireless puck. I'm not sure when that is set to release.

Nobodyrides4Free
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks KG! You have the Krypt, Right? It lets you link doesn't it ? Me and my friend are adding to our systems and want to link. Thanks

KG's Supra24
03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Yes, I have the Krypt.

From my understanding:
Exile ZLD will link with hardwire(95% sure) and wirelessly (with a bluetooth accessory device).
Krypt 4200 will link with hardwire and wirelessly (with a bluetooth accessory device).
Wetsounds 420 will link with hardwire and wirelessly (with a bluetooth accessory device).
I have never looked into the Clarion device.

Exile is supposed to be coming out with a "puck" that is a bluetooth accessory device. I believe the benefit of the Exile puck over other bluetooth devices is battery life AND it can be used to send OR receive signals. I could be wrong on battery as I haven't researched many other bluetooth devices and figured out their playtimes.

EarmarkMarine
03-05-2012, 11:59 AM
You need to have a dedicated 'fixed' output on the EQ in order to do a hardwire boat link. You don't want the master influencing the subordinate systems down the line as the volume is changed on the host boat.
As long as the host boat has a line driver with a fixed output (it doesn't have to be an EQ) that is split off the ipod before going into the host boat system (whether into the HU Aux or EQ Aux) then you could endlessly hardwire link boat to boat (within perhaps five boats in either direction) by each additional boat being equipped with no more than 'Y' adapters. There would be no phasing or time issues. Also, balins can be used with standard Cat5 and extend the transmission length to 150 feet in every direction. This is nothing new for a decade or more. You just have to deal with the cables.
But a reliable wireless system just makes more sense when its limited to a reasonable number of boats over a reasonable distance.

David
Earmark Marine

KG's Supra24
03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
In order not to hijack the exile thread even more .. I'm going to post a question in a previous thread ....

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16968-Bluetooth-from-RCA

Nobodyrides4Free
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks KG and Dave, My Kenwood had bluetooth. Just wanted to be sure about all of it.

KG , if I have not told you lately. Your boat is Bad @ss!! Cant wait to catch up with you this summer after you get the 10s in.Rick

KG's Supra24
03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks bud ... It looks like you are planning to pull that boat all over the middle part of the country so I bet we will be seeing each other.

Nobodyrides4Free
03-05-2012, 04:00 PM
KG, Been trying to get the Krypt version like you have. They are out of stock for like a month now. Ken at bullet said they are going to run there $99.00 special this month or next. Put my name on a e-mail list. Wanted to finish my stereo sooner, but thats ok. Putting a higher amperage altenator in this weekend (110 amps) and replacing a wheel and tire. Getting rid of my white spoked spare tire to match rest of boat. Had to replace a tire figured it was a good time!

wakeupcall
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Got a response from Ken at Bullet, their new EQ KMA-42EQ should be ready in 45 days. Preorder around 15th of this month. $99 as mentioned above.
http://www.bulletlines.com/Krypt-KMA-42EQ-Wakeboard-EQ-p/4555.htm (http://www.bulletlines.com/Krypt-KMA-42EQ-Wakeboard-EQ-p/4555.htm)

jmvotto
03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
not too up on the White?

EarmarkMarine
03-08-2012, 04:13 PM
That Krypt EQ raises a few questions. If the feature set is essentially the same as before with just moving a knob or two then why make the change?
I might understand white under the helm of a cruiser but why would anyone run a white EQ in a towboat?
Just asking.

David
Earmark Marine

viking
03-08-2012, 11:47 PM
ha ha .......... I'm with you David! I'm glad I nabbed one when they were black. And cheaper :)

Nobodyrides4Free
03-09-2012, 09:58 AM
FYI Wakeup call I believe is Ken from bullet lines.....Correct me if Im wrong! He asked me to post a thread when its already on this page.

I like the black too, But there are some people who like the white for some reason.Tried to get him to let us do a group buy. Asked why the change and if they would have black. This is what he said.......

$99.99 is the best ill do. It will not be available in black. It is an updated version.

So the 15th is the date if anyone needs one for $99.00

wakeupcall
03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Wakeupcall is not Ken from bullet lines. He did provide me with the info so I thought I'd share it

EarmarkMarine
03-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Has anyone really seen wakeupcall and Ken Lands in the same place at the same time? Hmmm.

Cigars n scotch
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I have a question, hopefully I can receive a fair answer and don't add any further fuel to this fire.

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to stereo/audio equipment so I have pretty much minimal understanding of the conversations in these threads, but.....I have a system that I am putting in my boat this spring. I'm curious to know whether these EQ's are a necessity when installing a system in a boat or if they are more of a "nice-to-have" for those looking to be able to control different sets of speakers within the boat. I won't have a sub, my setup would consist of two 8" HLCD tower speakers with a separate amp to power them, stock in-boat speakers with another amp to power them, and my headunit.

So I'm just curious if this type of equipment is needed, now I know some wll say it all depends on what you want, but I guess I would respond to that by saying I'm not really sure. I think that having an EQ like the ones that have been talked about would be great to be able to control the volume of both with one place, especially since my HU is in my glovebox.

Sorry for the long-winded question. Just wondering if my system would benefit from something like this?

KG's Supra24
03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
It is not a necessity.

A majority find its main usefulness in the ability to control tower volume versus in boat volume.

Anywhere from a $20 lc1 knob to a full blown eq can achieve the basic task. How much more do you want it to do, the look you want, etc would determine how much more it is worth to you.

A full blown eq can do much more than an lc1. Not for everyone though.

EarmarkMarine
03-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Cigars n scotch,
You may or may not appreciate all the features of the various EQs. You would have to look at each EQ independently.
But the easy and convenient dual zone control at your fingertips between the in-boat and tower is REALLY handy! While you have a remote control at your fingertips it has a global volume control only unless you have an Alpine or Fusion source unit and remote control. The only place you can presently access the front (in-boat) to rear (tower) fader is through the source unit within the glove box.
Line level controls such as the PAC LC-1 can place the dual zone control under the driver's dash. This requires long to and from RCA cables. Contrastly a Kicker line driver/dual zone controller provides the same control at your fingertips but does not extend the signal path. So even if you don't choose an EQ the zone controller is a good investment. You may not recognize the benefit now but you will once out on the water. Its a staple once you add tower speakers.

David
Earmark Marine

viking
03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
David,
I use the JL audio MHD amps and they have controllers using RJ45. I use one for the sub and one for the towers. Nice because there isn't a mess of RCA's from driver's helm to amps (just a couple phone lines) and 2 small knobs easily reachedfrom driver's seat. How to they compare to using the WS420 (or krypt). Wondering because I like my setup but have a krypt setup in the box wondering if I should change it up?

EarmarkMarine
03-14-2012, 11:25 PM
Viking,
Insert the EQ temporarily and check out the comparative noise level. That might be a determining factor for you.

David
Earmark Marine

Brianinpdx
03-15-2012, 03:06 AM
Cigars n scotch -

There is a lot of opinions on what substantiates "need". I think really when it comes right down to it, the "need" is control. How much control is up for lots of debate. Different brands place different emphasis on features and that can become a rainbow of items. At the core, you should look at

- How easy is it to volume up and down the tower zone from a safety point of view. If you have a rider on and drop them, you want to be able to easily adjust tower volume.
- Do you want to be able to plug in an iPod into a device located close to the helm?
- does your source deck need a little help voltage wise? (most factory decks do). Most new upper scale ones, don't.
- Do you want to be able to fade between zones? tower to cabin etc?
- Do you want independent control of your sub?

Just about everyone of the things on this list can be accomplished by other means. These preamp eq's just bundle it all into one box. I think thats the bottom line. As your system becomes more elaborate, these devices become increasingly important because of their functionality. On the other hand if you have a simple system and wanna keep it that way, I agree with KG... put an LC1 knob on the dash and use it to volume up and down the tower zone. Nothng wrong with the k.i.s.s. method.

-Brian
Exile Audio

Cigars n scotch
03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
thanks KG, David, and Brian for your responses. They all helped and gave me some new knowledge as well as caused me to think more about this. I'm thinking one of these could be extremely helpful. I do have a built-in controller for my HU that allows me to tune the radio, volume up/down as well as mute, along with a power button but having the ability to control the master volume ALONG with being able to fade between tower and in-boat's really intrigues me. My system is not going to be as sophisticated as most, but I think that with what I have it's going to be pretty good. A pre-amp EQ could complete the package. Glad I asked the question.

Brian, you're questions that you posed really sealed it for me. Thanks. As I mentioned I am a noob when it comes to stereo systems, which is why my friend will be installing my system since he's an electronics and stereo guru.

Now another question I have that may not be appropriate for this particular subject, but how are these things mounted? I see that folks are mounting them under the helm dash, but are they fabricating something like a DIN insert for a car?

Just saw the ZLD pre-order price is no longer, when did that end?

Justin
Again, thanks for the info and the responses.

Razzman
03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
"My system is not going to be as sophisticated as most, but I think that with what I have it's going to be pretty good."

LOL! Famous last words (at least for now) of everyone who's posted about, asked or theorized stereo's in their boats on this forum! Do a search in the Audio section and see what I mean. I'm on my third incarnation in as many years, many, many others are too! Do yourself a favor and think of what you might want or think you might want and how you'd use it and include it in, you'll thank me later!

Cigars n scotch
03-15-2012, 11:32 PM
"My system is not going to be as sophisticated as most, but I think that with what I have it's going to be pretty good."

LOL! Famous last words (at least for now) of everyone who's posted about, asked or theorized stereo's in their boats on this forum! Do a search in the Audio section and see what I mean. I'm on my third incarnation in as many years, many, many others are too! Do yourself a favor and think of what you might want or think you might want and how you'd use it and include it in, you'll thank me later!

Yes I know exactly what you mean. I need to be level-headed though because I already am involved in multiple expensive hobbies such as golf, snowboarding, cigars, scotch, now i am getting into modifying my Tundra, and let's not forget the Supra 21V I own and the wakeboarding/wakesurfing. They are all slippery slopes!

And a 6 month old daughter to top that all off (though I am super stoked about sharing boating/wakeboarding/the water in general with her and having her grow up around it to enjoy it like my wife and I were fortunate enough to do).

Brianinpdx
03-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Cigars - Everyone starts somewhere in stereo's. Same could be said for golf , skiing or surfing, right? The moomba forum is a great bunch of people that can answer a lot of your questions from practical experience. Razzman is right, your setup will change in the future. They always do. Hopefully the gear you select will be able to grow with you as your needs change. I think a preamp controller probably can do that, regardless of the brand involved. If you do get the ZLD, and your buddy has any install questions, you can always find help on tuning or setup should those questions arise.

I think you asked about mounting options. Most EQ preamps conform to the 1/2 din size, but very rarely do I see them in any kind of fabricated bracket in a boat. Most EQ's come supplied with standard L shape brackets for quick and easy mounting.

Maybe we should start a cigar thread.... ! :>

-Brian
Exile Audio

kaneboats
03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I could roll with a cigar thread.