PDA

View Full Version : Engine flushing system.

Living the Dream.
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
My wife and I just bought a New Outback-v At the boat show in Calgary, Canada in Feb. We went in and signed the papers with the Rep. We decided not to go with the the internal flush system because I have read about the fake a lake. I'm having second thoughts on this though. We have cold climates here in the winter and we have the heater and Gravity III ballast option installed. The Dealer said we could call him with some changes since the boat isn't due for pick up till May and construction dosent start till March. I'm just wondering if I should just get it added for the purpooses of winterizing (anti-freeze, oil changes on land). Any Ideas pros ,cons.

kaneboats
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
No idea but congrats on the new OBV!

Living the Dream.
02-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks it's a little daunting. Always used the inlaws boat;and we have the 2 two boys to yank around allday and I suppose the inlaws wanted there boat back. Just a little aprhesive with the matiance. (Don't want to crack a block.)

bergermaister
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I have used a fake a lake for in-driveway maintenance and it can be a pain to climb under to put in place and a bit messy after the water is flowing. Also when you climb into the boat while it's running there's always the chance of knocking it loose and it tipping over.

Last fall Newty helped me winterize and used an in-line adapter he had made - you undo the intake hose in the bilge area (couple hose clamps), connect it to this hose barb adapter and your garden hose hooks to the other end of the adapter. Very slick - hardly a drop of water anywhere except for out of the exhaust. I suppose you could use a setup like that to pump/push antifreeze into your engine and lines if that were a necessity.

Congratulations on the new boat!

newty
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
This option isn't totally necessary as there are other ways to do winterization etc. but it will aid in those things.

Living the Dream.
02-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the info, I went through the other areas of the forum as well. I think I'll stick with the fake a lake for now and if it becomes to much of a pain I can install a flush kit later. I maybe hitting you guys up for some info on instalation.

kaneboats
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
You may just find yourself on here A LOT!

lloydw
02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Congrats on your new boat!. I also ordered a Outback V at the boat show and I live in Calgary area, I definitely wanted the flush kit here's why.

Most important I like to winterize my own boat and save about $500 every fall. With the flush kit I can easily run some antifreeze thru it before draining the block and blowing out the heater, it gives me more confidence that if i miss getting all the fluids out at least what is left won't freeze and cause any damage. Ya you can use the fake-a-lake, but just seems like a big hassle compared to hooking up a hose, and not easy to run antifreeze thru.

Also in the spring, its really nice to start the boat BEFORE you haul it to the lake and put it in the water only to discover some 'issue'. Not fun at all.

Anyways for me it's well worth the $145 to have factory installed kit...

I'm also picking up my boat in May, maybe they'll be shipped on the same truck, like brothers haha.
What colors did you pick?

Mikey
02-28-2012, 09:44 PM
A reply to my local friends. The flush fitting really has nothing to do with the winterizing end of using it.The flush fitting has a small check valve type fitting which would actually make it more difficult to add antifreeze through ,come winterizing time. It would not be impossible,but it can be done very easily using one of the large intake hoses coming from the water inlet.

The flush valve fitting is more for just that ,flushing motor and allows you to RUN the motor,for say oil changes etc and or engine maintenance. It is a cheap option to add at build and likely would not be hard to add after as would a strainer ,for weeds and silt etc.They are both relatively cheap options that i believe are money well spent. I'd post pics of the two items on my boat but still tarped up till Spring.

IMO i think they ARE worth while just not really for the purposses being mentioned.Fake a lake is an option ,but right Now Thes two items i would suggest you add to your boats.

When the time comes and you have your boats ,give me a call/email maybe we can go out together some time,and i can drool looking at your newer shinier boats LOL. Or just show you around if need be.

mmandley
02-28-2012, 10:24 PM
I would opt to pass on the flush kit, there is several threads on how to make a hose connection and add a garden type hose to it for this exact application.

I personally would also not flush with antifreeze and then let the remaentes of that sit in your system.

Heres why, its well known in the Diesel market that antifreeze has silicates in it, you would need to use a non silcon based antifreeze for one, also if you leave antifreeze in the engine it coats parts, and basically slimes everything in it way.

What is best is to fluch the engine with water. Then drain the block, then take compressed air, 40 to 50psi is all you need, using a blow gun time with a rubber nipple to seal the port where your hose went, spray air in at that point. Then with the block plugs off you will be relieving the pressure in the cooling system and blow all the air out.

If your not comfortable with this then you can remove the inlet and outlet heater hoses and just blow air threw there.

I personaly would not run Antifreeze threw your engine unless you store it full of antifreeze.

skiyaker
02-28-2012, 10:33 PM
check out deerfield's post #11 on this thread
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17311-New-to-boating-question

water pump isn't as easy to get to on a V-Drive but I really like his setup

Living the Dream.
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Well maybe I will call my dealer and get the flush kit thrown on. It only a couple hundred bucks and it will make things a bit easier with oil changes and dewinterizing when summer comes. Thanks for all the info!!

newty
03-01-2012, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't, you can do it your self for less later if you so decide. Easy install with a utility knife and a couple hose clamps.

http://www.go2marine.com/product/93034F/perko-flush-pro-marine-engine-flushing-winterizing-valve-kit.html

wakeboarder3780
03-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I would personally get the flush kit whether or not you get it aftermarket and install yourself or have the dealer do it being your choice. The link above is what I just bought myself after going through a couple season of not having one.

Fake a lakes are dangerous IMO because the plunger can fall off OR you can wedge it a little too tight where water doesn't flow into the through hull with enough flow and you burn up your impeller (although you really should change this every or every other year anyway). You can certainly get by with them, but they have their shortcomings IMO.

The flush kit by perko (which is linked above) is very useful. It's dual check valved so when you want to run water through it, you just hook up a garden hose and off you go.

If you want to run antifreeze from a bucket it comes with a little adapter you can plug in to force the garden hose check valve into the "open" position (so you don't need to rig up a bucket with a pump for your antifreeze setup). Then you can simply use your 5 gallon bucket with hose outlet at the bottom of the bucket for sucking anti-freeze through.

There is always religious debate about whether to drain, run antifreeze, etc for winterizing, but if you plan on running the boat in the driveway (oil changes, first starts for the season to make sure everything is working properly) the flushkit will pay for itself alone IMO.

Sidenote** Since I didn't trust fake a lakes what I had been doing the past couple years is pulling the intake hose off the through hull, bending it upwards and jamming a garden hose down it and duct taping around it to get a near air tight seal. Works great and guaranteed to get the water in the impeller, but man what a bunch of screwing around every season. Bought that flush kit and never looked back.
If you have a v-drive and winterize via antifreeze, I'd recommend getting 2 90 degree elbows and installing it on the intake side of the v-drive cooler so when you run antifreeze through it goes through the v-drive cooler as well.

viking
03-08-2012, 12:10 AM
make ur own. $8 max for parts at lowes or HD.
Make the dealer throw something else in that's worthwhile for couple hundred bucks

rdlangston13
03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
mine is permantely installed in the boat, it has a threaded end with cap on it hook a water hose to and a check valve so the water only flows into the engine and not out the thru hull on the ground. super easy.

Living the Dream.
03-08-2012, 06:22 PM
After checking the link above, it looks easy enough to install the perko flush kit. I'm leaning that way just for ease. My time is limited in the summer because I work seasonally. I really appreciate all the info.:)