PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass issues??

wakeflip
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
So I finally got decent weather this weekend and got to go boarding (54air/48water) but my perfect pass was acting strange, if I set the speed to 22mph, it would speed up to 28 before it started to drop down, but then it would drop to 15 before speeding back up to 28 again. It was just back and forth back and forth. Is there any way to fix this or am I just going to have to upgrade and replace the entire unit?

brain_rinse
02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Sounds like it may just need to be calibrated. The PP manual has a nice step-by-step.

wakeflip
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
I read all the way through the manual but nothing really seems to help my problem....

wolfeman131
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Or, on that year boat (2004, if I remember correctly) you have a mechanical servo that adjusts the throttle cable to maintain the set speed. I've seen that cable become sort of tangled and loose and cause the same sort of issue.

dusty2221
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
My 06 did the exact same thing. I did the PP factory reset on it then followed the procedure to set the servo correctly, it seemed to fix the issue.

Nobodyrides4Free
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I had the same issue with my 02. Tried the to re-calibrate, did not work. First maually unwind the servo, then rewind it. The manual tells you which direction it should wind. You can have some one watch it when you turn the key on. Make sure it tightens to where cable is tight. If it does try pulling see what it does.

It didnt help mine so I checked the linkage at carb while some one else drove the boat. Found I had slack in throttle cable. Also the throttle cable would sag at the front of engine compartment in idle and go tight on accelaration. It actually raised ad lowered. Took a cable tie and secured it to closest bracket. Next check where the cable meets the carb, make sure there is no slop where the adjusting bolts are. I had to tighten mine a bit. I believe that after age and wear that the servo cable stretches causing slack and this causes throttle cable to raise and lower. I have not had any issues since then.
It sucks trying to figure it out, I know been there! Good luck, let me know if it helped.

wakeflip
02-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks alot. Im going to try the recalibrate trick and check all the cables. Hopefully I can figure it out. Ive yet to find somebody whos good enough with the throttle control to pull for me without shootin me across the wake at 30mph.

deepcove
02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
I have seen a similar issue when the PP cable to the throttle was rubbing on the indmar plastic cover thing. Also seen this result with the same cable having too tight a radius.

kaneboats
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
This came to me in an e-mail from a little bird who was banned from these boards. Info like this was available on here before but it was deleted by the same little bird who deleted all his posts and those of many others before he was rightfully banned permanently:

This may help the guy with the PP problem.

From Matt Brown of Skiers Choice....

First, to try my best to duplicate your exact situation, I took out the R&D Outback V which has a 325 engine in it. I put the 13.7 x 17.5 prop on it which is the standard prop. I used the standard front bag in the front and replaced the port rear bag with the same fly high 20x20x50 bag which is what they call the 750 lb bag. I also took Rob Loucks, Customer Service Manager, with me so we could dublicate your exact situation and so that he could also learn with me more about this.

When we first got there we filled up the ballast (unfortunately could not take beer!!) and tried the factory settings for CS value and a KDW value of 180. Depending on how you drive the boat I could definitely duplicate your situation where the system engages at 7 mph and then very slowly increases until 9. However, with the same settings I could also get the system to behave correctly if driven differently. But I understand how your wife likes to get up slow, so assuming you want to drive that way I tried a bunch of different settings….

What I finally ended up with was moving the CS value to the most extreme which is 2500 and leaving your KDW setting at 180. When you have the CS setting that high, you can still pull the rider up fairly slow and what happens is the system will actually overshoot the 9 mph slightly but then settle down rather quickly to the 9 mph.

However, I do have a few questions that I must ask….

Are you sure that your speedo is calibrated properly at that slow speed?? Have you checked with a GPS unit to make sure?? If you are actually surfing at 10.5 or 11 but speedo is miscalibrated and says 9 you are actually making the system work much harder then it needs to. And have you tried adding more weight and actually increasing the speed slightly. While we were testing, with slightly more weight and a slightly faster speed, the surf wake actually seemed to improve.

Another reason I ask that is because at that speed you are really stretching the limits of every aspect of this system. Here is how the system works so that you understand what I mean by that…..

The system was originally designed for slalom skiing and wakeboarding and higher speeds. Lets say the system was set to hold 20 mph. As the speed increases, at some point it starts to realize that you are about to ask the cruise system to take over. The rate at which your accelerating also makes a big difference on this because the faster you are accelerating, the closer you are to the speed when it thinks you are about to take over. Lets say you are accelerating at medium pace and the system sees that indicator at 14 mph. Then as it gets slightly closer (about 17 mph) it immediately selects a rpm that it thinks should be a close rpm to maintain that speed. That is when the system actually engages and the system beeps and the speed gets highlighted. The rpm it chooses is what the CS value represents. Typically that is why it starts to engage at about 17 mph when you are trying to go 20 mph. Depending on how accurate that CS (rpm guess) value was and how fast you are actually accelerating depends on how fast your system actually engages at the 20 mph without overshooting or undershooting. Does that make sense??

Now lets translate that into your specific situation and your speed. Basically what happens is all that stuff said above just happens a lot sooner and the rate at which you accelerate is even more drastic. With the speed set at 9, when the system sees about 4 or 5 mph it thinks it is about to engage. If you are accelerating quickly, you will be doing close to 9 before it actually figures out a CS value/ rpm level to start with. If you are accelerating very slowly, then it engages at about 7 which is what you are seeing. At factory settings, the CS value (1830) or rpm value is very low and when the system engages at about 7 the rpm level starts off very low and it takes a long time to get to 9 because proportionately it takes a lot more rpm to increase that speed when you are going this slow. With the much higher CS value (2500) and a slow acceleration, the system still tries to engage about 7 but the requested RPM level is still very high and allows the system to keep accelerating for a little while and typically overshoots the 9 and then settles back down fairly quickly. Please keep in mind that 9 mph is way below the typical planning speed of the boat. No boat wants to stay at 9 mph so that just makes this even more difficult. Most people that I know surf in the 10.5 – 12.5 mph range which makes things just a little easier on initial engagement but as we all know, every body likes a different speed and each boat requires a different setup.

Bottom line is I understand what you are dealing with and I think I can help but please understand that the system does have some limitations. I think the CS value of 2500 on either module will make driving a lot easier for you and your wife. But keep in mind that slightly changing your driving habits may make the biggest difference of anything.

wolfeman131
02-29-2012, 05:04 PM
kane, good info. To clarify, this is for a DBW PP system. Wakeflip has the throttle cable system and I'm betting he is going to find an issue with something mechanical in his system (servo, cable, etc.).

wakeflip
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
kane, good info. To clarify, this is for a DBW PP system. Wakeflip has the throttle cable system and I'm betting he is going to find an issue with something mechanical in his system (servo, cable, etc.).Yeah, I wish I had the dbw system, but it is cable.

wakeflip
02-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I haven't had a chance to test it on the water yet, but I did go ahead and do a system reset, and I also found that the throttle was not returning once the servo unwinded. So I'll be adding a small return spring on the throttle linkage and hopefully testing it out this weekend. Thanks again for everybody's help. Hopefully this will solve my issues.

wolfeman131
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Were you able to speak with the folks from PP? The return spring sounds like a good idea. If you haven't yet spoken with the folks at PP, you might want to give them a call first. I found them to be great folks to work with and they went above & beyond to make sure I had all the parts I needed and my system worked once I installed it.

wakeflip
03-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Not yet. If it still hasnt straightend out when I test it I'll give them a call and see what they say.