PDA

View Full Version : Outback Slalom vids?

usaski1
02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Any good vids out there of outback slalom? Like pretty much anything.. I found a few on youtube at like 32 mph... I'd like to see a vid of someone doing 36mph/35 off.. and maybe some others at a slower speed.

KSmith
02-22-2012, 07:18 PM
You have an outback and own your own lake. Seems perfect to make your own videos!

usaski1
02-22-2012, 10:03 PM
yeah, I get that... problem is im skiing like crap behind it, and I want to see someone do well...

deerfield
02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Sled is a good skier and lives a couple hours north of me in Wisconsin. If I can get him behind my Outback when the ice has melted, maybe I can take and post video. For today all I have are still pictures. And none of them is 36 mph, much less @ 35 off.

zabooda
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
On recreation skiing, I do 36-37 mph but I don't go any shorter than 22 off. I'm a big guy and the speed compensates for my lack of form. I am getting close to the roost at anything less than that but one wouldn't need that speed any closer. It would be fun to watch though.

Mikey
02-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Check for video of Terry Winter as he is/was a Moomba skier.

skiyaker
02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
toward the end of one of the "Edged in Water" videos (I think part 2 but I can check for sure) there are some nice shots of Terry skiing behind an outback- not sure if that's quite what you're looking for.

iwaterskihard
02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
These were early runs last year. Not great sessions for me by any means but we had a camera, the water was flat, and boat ran sweet. I love the wake behind my Moomba and plan on spending a lot my time this summer reviewing video and improving my technique and form. These were posted a while back in the slalom thread. No laughing peeps! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBvP3Y-fMwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfApwO0N3g

chawk610
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Great vids.. nothing wrong with that skiing IMO!

harmsway
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Is all I can say is man I miss my ski boat and the flat wake. I have adjusted to the wake of the LS but it isn't a ski boat.

chawk610
02-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Same thing my wife says about the '83 Stars and Stripes we used to have. Even though we have the LS as well... it aint the same.

harmsway
02-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Chawk, I put the OJ 4 blade prop on our LS last year and it made a world of difference in the wake dip and the size and location of the rooster tail.... But still not a ski boat.

usaski1
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Think the 4 blade makes the wake flatter? I'd swap out to a 4 blade if I thought it would help.

usaski1
02-23-2012, 04:34 PM
@iwaterskihard - got any vids of the OB on a slalom course?

BensonWdby
02-23-2012, 07:18 PM
I am guessing these are 15 off at 32?? maybe 30? When I look at vids for wake comaprison I try to stop the vid when the skier is at the first wake or in the center to see where the 'bump' is and how much influence the wake has on ski oreintation and body position. I know I normally disappoint myself when I see where I am behind the boat, usually way more vertical thatn I would like...

usaski1
02-23-2012, 09:25 PM
So, I'm sure this has been discussed to death somewhere... but I got to thinking about my prop tonight, a 3 blade 13x? (not sure, and couldnt tell when I went out and looked) question is, how big of a difference does the prop make on wake size? I havent read much, but seems like 3 blades cause a larger, maybe sharper wake, and might not be as smooth.. thinking of switching out to 4 blade.. not sure if it will make a large difference. My goal is to alter the wake size (make it smaller) and perhaps make the whole boat smoother...

wolfeman131
02-23-2012, 10:26 PM
I've heard Nettles Props is a great resource, in addition to the guys in this forum, for the kind of questions you are asking.

kaneboats
02-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Our old friend zegm posted a long time ago that he was thrilled with his 4 blade OJ. He called Eric at OJ and got a recommendation based on his family activities, boat model and skiing needs. He was extremely happy. Eric is on here from time to time.

Edit: You can PM Eric. He's user ejojprops. Good luck!

harmsway
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
usaski1, the 4 blade 13x13 OJ prop made a big difference with the wake dip, acceleration and rooster tail behind our LS. It also cured the horrible growl/ vibaration we had when accelerating. But remember I have a 2008 Mobius LS, which is the same hull as the LSV that year, but a DD. My boat came with a 13x11.5 3 blade pitch from the factory. If I am not mistaken the Outback DD came with a factory 13x13 3 blade prop from the factory and I believe I have read that the 3 blade does better behind the Outback DD.
Perhaps someone with a Outback DD could chime in to confirm what the best prop is for skiing.

usaski1
02-24-2012, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I've never ben happy with either the slalom wake or the vibration / growl my 08 has had. I got in a nieghbors Nautique 196, and it was so much smoother.. I was like WOW! I need to check and see if he has a 4 blade..

BensonWdby
02-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Ironically - my 99 Mobius came with a 4 blade OJ and both the local prop shop and a local boat mechanic told me that I would love my 3 blade Acme way better. I never noticed much difference, but I did not spend much time at 22 off - which is where my bump is. I spent most of my time in open water at 28-38 off. Now that I am back in the course and only skiing 22 off I am thinking about checking the prop differences. Whatever I currently have on ther is sure not making me happy at 22.

iwaterskihard
02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
I have enquired about the benefits of a 4 blade vs my 3 blade prop every year at the boat show we go too. Funny thing is that EVERY year I am told the same thing.............your Outback DD will not see any difference and as much as we'd love to sell you a prop............we don't want you to bring it back angry at us because it hasn't helped you?
I'm sorry no I don't have any pics of it in a course.
But I am left to really scratch my head and wonder...........here is a propr dealer and repair shop that instead of sending a $600.00 prop out the door to make money and keep a profit going..........they actually seem to be helping me and looking out for my best interest and making NOTHING?
I'm very happy with the performance of my DD. I don't need any more speed as it's plenty fast enough to barefoot and it pulls me out of the water nicely. Plus I really like the wake.
Like Benson pointed out in his earlier post.............it's not so much the wake but the skiers body positioning when he/she enters the wake on the cut that really determines the outcome of how we cross it. This ultimately sets us up for success or failure as we enter the next cut.
We are a ski first family. In fact the first thing I did with the boat when I brought it home was climb in the back and pull the bag out of the boat from under the back seat. It still sits in the rafters of my garage today!

kaneboats
02-24-2012, 11:05 AM
They are right that the difference is very subtle and on some boats the only change is a "hump" at specific distances or a tiny bit of rooster. That's why if you can describe you model, your activities, how you ski, etc. the prop pros can usually make a solid recommendation for you.

For my Outback, we would run top speed a lot on a pretty long river where we'd head 10-12 miles up river to hang out. Also, I ran very little ballast (comparatively) even for surfing. The OJ 3 blade 13x13 was perfect for our needs. But, we aren't course skiers and weren't fighting a specific hump at a specific line length either. Nice thing about any of the quality places is they will send you a prop and if you don't like what you get they'll keep trying till you have one you like.