PDA

View Full Version : Trailering and Covers

OnTheH20
06-09-2005, 02:07 PM
We will be trailering our Mobius LSV from Atlanta, GA to Sanford, NC (near Fort Bragg) for a long weekend. It's about a 6 hours drive with speeds up to 60/65 MPH. The boat is equipped with the snap-on covers; main section plus bow.

Since the boat is also stored outside, I intended to get a larger cover that would come over the edges of the boat and farther down the sides. That was of course until I saw several posts about these covers "burning" the gel coat if they flap while being trailered.

Is burning a real concern or some urban legend for a poorly secured cover? If burning IS an issue, is the snap-on cover sufficient for this trip? What other options are there? Is a custom fit cover available?

Thanks,
Nathan

Dave A
06-09-2005, 02:34 PM
I towed my boat about 120 miles from my house a speeds up to 70mph. I have the snap cover, and traveling was the main reason I bought it. I can put luggage and other items in the boat and not take up space in my vehicle. Anyway, the snap cover worked great, I don't know about gelcoat burn, but I don't think I would want anything flapping around behind me that could possible blow off. Your going to get some road gime on the boat anyway, and I would almost bet that it could get up under the cover and become an abbrasive and scratch or burn the gelcoat.

mobiusLSV05
06-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I can speak from expiereince, on my previous boat I had a custom Aqualon mooring cover(full, and around sides) that had 4 tie downs on each side and 2 on the back. While trailering the vibration of the straps, no matter how tight, would cause a mild surface scratching. If I kept up on it, I could buff them out with a little polish, but I will say it shows less on white gelcoat than any other color. I now have a gray Moomba cover that has the straps around the trailer, but have not nor will I use it for trailering purposes. The best way to go is either a snap on cover like you have, or I have seen people trailer boats with one of those cargo nets(shaped like s spiders web)attached to the cleats.

moombadaze
06-09-2005, 07:49 PM
just a note-when i trailered from tampa florida to atlanta last year my rear tie down straps burned the finish a little-left a pwder under the straps. they were as tight as i could get them-next time im putting some white tub socks under them, also we trailered with no cover on the boat

stacy

clark
06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
I also have snap on covers and was adviced by the dealer and manufacturer to tow it with out the covers.

Clark

OnTheH20
06-10-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all the input! I think I'll save the money on the tie-down cover and stick with the snaps.