PDA

View Full Version : New to boating question

Wes
02-20-2012, 02:32 AM
I just purchased a 99 outback ls. Does anyone any photos of locations to attach water for running it in my driveway. I have the fake-a-lake but would also be interested in the direct hose method and the bucket method. I've read tons of post on the forum in reference to this but I would like to see some photos so I don't mess anything up. Thanks in advance for any help.

Wes

bkearney
02-20-2012, 09:24 AM
On my boat, there are 2 oval shaped strainers on the bottom. If I put the F-a-L there, I will see water coming out the exaust.

sandm
02-20-2012, 11:56 AM
exactly. climb under the boat and find the brass scupper that looks like a drain with gaps cut into it. put the fal up to that and turn the water on high. start the boat and you should, after 10-15 sec. should see water coming out the rear exhaust ports..

Wes
02-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the answers. How about locations in the engine compartment for a hose or bucket.

Thanks

bkearney
02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
That one I can not help you with.. but I would love to know the answer too :)

Boonejeepin
02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
You could hook up the in line flush kit to the water intake hose. A garden hose will attach to it and a check valve keeps the water going to the engine. There are even remote hookup kit what can be mounted thru the hull.

IMO - fake a lake is the easiest way.

chawk610
02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Haven't done this to my Mobius... but on my old S&S I used to pull the hose off the inlet and clamp it in a large cooler... then put the water hose in the cooler. It worked great.

Hoopskier
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure about what you mean about a bucket. To catch from exhaust or supply the engine

I connect a garden hose directly to my engine for flushing/winterizing. I used some hose and a pair of adapters to reduce the size to a garden hose connections. I dont have any pictures. But its 1 1/4" hose to adapter to 3/4" hose to garden hose fitting. I put it on the water intake, before the impeller pump. Then just hook up to the garden hose and turn on the water.

If you are trying to use a bucket to supply the engine with water, you will never keep up. Then engine consume over a gallon in a few seconds, less than 3 sec. This is at idle. Most of it goes down the exhaust. I found this out the hard way, while winterize and trying to put antifreeze in the engine-sent most of my antifreeze down the exhaust.

dusty2221
02-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I pull my main intake hose from the thru hull and use the hose from a tsunami pump in combination. Disconnect the hose from the thru hull, then take the hose off of the tsunami pump and slide it into the intake side of the main hose you just disconnected. The fitting on the end of the tsunami hose is the perfect fir for the intake hose, nice snug fit. The tsunami hose is long enough to come up and out of the hull and into a 5 gallon bucket sitting in the floor. I fill the bucket to the top with water then start the boat. As long as I start with the bucket full, the hose will maintain it a little over halfway full so the boat can suck water as needed vs having it forced with pressure of the hose. When I'm ready for the coolant I let the bucket get almost all the way empty and we dump 4 gallons of anti freeze into it at the same time and let the boat suck it right out and into the motor.

I've ran the boat for easily 20 minutes using this method with the hose and bucket to let it get completely up to temp. Works like a champ. Kind of a hard process to picture, but if you have a tsunami pump and look at the intake hose, you will see exactly what I am talking about.

Wes
02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks fellas. I believe I've got it. Thanks for all the quick responses and info. Excellent forum.

Wes

deerfield
02-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Wes - Go to Home Depot and buy yourself a fifteen foot section of pool hose (won't collapse under suction). Hook one end to the raw water pump. See the picture below. The other end goes to a large capacity bucket (of any sort). Fill the bucket with water. See second picture below. Place the bucket under plumbing that collects water coming out the exhaust. See third picture below. This creates a closed recirculation system. Can run the engine all day. Might need to add water from the garden hose to replace any that splashes out of the bucket. An inline valve I installed lets me shut off water that runs to and drains at the driveshaft. See the last picture below with blue hose and ball valve. Bucket and pool hose setup and tear down takes about ten minutes. - Deerfield

Wes
02-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Impressive. Seems like once you get the mechanics of it all figured out the possibilities are endless. Awesome photos. I will certainly give it a try. Thanks

Wes

Boonejeepin
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
The PVC plumbing in the picture above reminds me of a DIY fresh air exhaust.

lloydw
02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
To attach a hose you need to have a flush kit installed, or do some mods yourself...

bhowell
02-23-2012, 04:43 PM
To attach a hose you need to have a flush kit installed, or do some mods yourself...

I installed this into the main intake line.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144D86Y

kaneboats
02-23-2012, 05:01 PM
How'd it work? And let's see some pics of that Outback already-- or aren't you excited about it?

Boonejeepin
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Looks like a nice price. Let us know how you like it.

Wes
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM

Sorry about no pics and yes I'm very excited to answer the question above. Have not had a chance to try any of the ideas given due to work schedule but I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks to all,
wes

kaneboats
02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Sweeeeet. I once resembled that Outback. Love the color combo. That's the colors I'd be ordering on my new Mojo if I were in the market.

viking
02-23-2012, 10:38 PM
i like it. i still wonder why they quite making that bimini top? a cross between the current factory and z5.