PDA

View Full Version : Dewinterizing - Timing

Mike185
02-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I have to move my boat from one dry storage marina to another on March 1st. I'm on Lake Norman in NC. Anyone else around this area dewinterize in early March?

Based on the weather we have had, I think it should be all good, worst case I can go drain the block and headers if there is cold weather in the forecast. Is this sufficent if there are sub freezing temps overnight?

This is my first season with this boat, purchased it in November and took it for one drive before winterizing.. it has been a looooonnnggg winter!

jsly04XLV
02-16-2012, 11:09 PM
feel ur pain on the long winter. I'm on wylie and can't wait to get back on the water. You're right about the weather getting warmer but we could be in for a later winter. Last weeks nights were 10 or so below normal. I'd keep an eye on the forecast but after a couple more weeks I would have to think hard about not taking it out on the water if we get a 65 degree saturday.

bkearney
02-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I am over in Raleigh. I was assuming mid march or so. Given the lack of winter this year, it has been very enticing to head out. But.. I need to force myself to finish the projects before I go on the water :)

tcallis
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm in Raleigh too. Between this weather lately and a new drysuit that just arrived, I've been thinking a lot about de-winterizing! Tom

NCSUmoomba
02-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Drysuits? You guys don't need those! I took my boat up to Hyco Lake a couple of weeks ago when it was 68 just to run it for a bit and get away from the daily grind, and the water temp was running 60 to 63 degrees. Man I am looking forward to spring!

skiyaker
02-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm in Indiana and I dewinterized last March 19, but I usually keep my boat in my garage. Went skiing when water temp was 45 and was perfectly comfortable in a dry suit. I'm planning to get on the water this year in the next week or so. If you drain the block you should be good- just be careful to purge all the water from the ballast system and heater.

harmsway
02-20-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm in Pittsboro and I usually de-winterize late March. Our starting and stopping point for the year is when the water temps reach 62 degrees. Last year that was Mid March and the last week in November. If you de-winterize you just have to watch the weather closely, a cracked block is expensive.

vandy654
02-20-2012, 11:06 PM
I just moved to Apex from the Lake Wylie area. We will have to meet up this spring on Jordan.

chawk610
02-21-2012, 08:15 AM
We are gonna do late March... however, I am a tad South of yall! :)

harmsway
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
I just moved to Apex from the Lake Wylie area. We will have to meet up this spring on Jordan.

That would be great. We are on the lake most Saturdays and every Sunday weather permitting and we will be camping out there for 9 days in June. We put in at Ebenezer boat ramp and hang out in the Beaver Creek area of the lake. You can't miss our boat (the colors) you can see a mile away. lol

harmsway
02-21-2012, 01:37 PM
We are gonna do late March... however, I am a tad South of yall! :)

I believe as mild of a winter we had this year I didn't need to winterize... but you know if I didn't I would have been scrambling at some point.

chawk610
02-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Oh yea... the couple hundred bucks is well worth the sleep you get at night! Gotta also figure it will help with resale to have all those maint. records!

Hutch5
02-21-2012, 04:43 PM
We are on Tillery in NC....normally dewinterize in March but we are hoping to start boathouse improvement project this weekend, so we may have to dewinterize to move the boat...will play it by ear in terms of winterizing again....as someone pointed out it's nice knowing you don't have to worry about it...

Hutch