PDA

View Full Version : Check out this oil!

newty
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
My coworker brings in a sample of his oil from an oil change on his boat. I told him there's water in the oil. He's not convinced, your thoughts?

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13374&stc=1

Nobodyrides4Free
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Man there is definetly something in it! Milky looking is the first sign. Has the water seperated since its been sitting, it usually does a little. What kind of boat , I/O or Moomba?

wolfeman131
02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Mandley and/or Doc will know for sure, but I've always heard that if it looks like a milkshake then you've got water in it.

In that glass, I thought you were showing us something from Steak & Shake. Now I'm hungry. Thanks.

Living the Dream.
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
I would have to agree!! oil shouldn't look milky. It also looks like its been happening for a while;There is not very much oil floating on the top. Ask your co-worker when he checked the oil if it was over full? He may have a problem with his coolant system bleeding water into the block.

newty
02-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Its a 74' I/O. Original motor... we think.

I'm thinking head gaskets are shot.

kaneboats
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
You're dead wrong. There's oil in that water.

dusty2221
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
^ My thoughts exactly.

bergermaister
02-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Definitely H2oil.
Can't tell if that's a shot glass or a big test tube - either way DON'T DRINK IT!

kaneboats
02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
My other thought was kind of Homer Simpson-esque: "Mmmm, Guinness!"

jmb
02-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Take the oil fill cap off the valve cover and turn it over. Mine looked like a vanilla milk shake in my other boat. Dead give away

DOCDRS
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
THAT is not the colour of used motor oil. It has definitely been contaminated. Most likely water as thats the only thing that would in a boat. there could be a small amount of tranny oil if the tranny cooler was leaking, but the tranny would look like a pink milkshake. Apparently it has been some time since this motor was serviced or checked. Looks like the guy was running thru muddy water his last run as well. Do not buy this boat as it appears to have been neglected.

mmandley
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
hmmm beeerr!!

Well thats a 2stoke if its a 74 i/o and im not at savy with those engines LOL. Id would lean to the side that says yea theres water in there but water will seperate and stay low. You can see the pure oil on top but this could be gas and oil mixed as well which is where theres no solid seperation.

Best bet is get it analized at Blackstone
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Goto there site and you can request a sample container for free. Then you add your sample, and pay 25 bucks and they will test it.

I do this once a year on my diesel to make sure the engine is wearing good and im not running to many miles on my engine between oil changes.

I should do this to the boat as well, i think i will at the end of this season.

They will tell you what metals, liquids, viscosity, everything you ever wanted to know about the oils condition and some cool things on what your engine is doing.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/standard-analysis.php

DOCDRS
02-14-2012, 09:34 PM
hmmm beeerr!!

Well thats a 2stoke if its a 74 i/o and im not at savy with those engines LOL. .

Whats a 2 stoke? Never heard of a I/O that was a 2 stroke, but I am only 49. If there is such a beast I am not savy as well. :)

newty
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Whats a 2 stoke? Never heard of a I/O that was a 2 stroke, but I am only 49. If there is such a beast I am not savy as well. :)
That's what I was thinking. Never heard of a Ford 302 2-stroke. Unless he's making a funny, gas oil mixed. Yea re-read, its a funny.

Mikey
02-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Yikes . That looks like the oil that went in in 74.Suspect there might be a slight issue????

mmandley
02-14-2012, 11:43 PM
ohh hahahah ok i was reading before my coffee LOL i was thiking Outboard only LOL. Not I/O LOL. Ok yea thats a big difference LOL. I will think its got fuel in it opposed to water, unless that glass is freshly poured and the water hasnt had time to seperate.

Its diffently not good to see that comming out of the oil pan during an oil change.

RobertJ
02-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Quick test but be careful and use caution when you do it. Put heat, a hot plate works best, to a small amount of the mixture in a glass beaker or other heat safe glass contain and use a thermometer to stir as you heat. You should wear a face sheild to protect yourself. You will see bubbles or hear popping and crackling if it has moisture in it. If you hear popping or crackling remove from heat right away. if you get over 220 and no noise then no moisture. I would pull off at 230 degrees.

My bet is that it has moisture in it.

newty
02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replys. Good idea Robert. My co-worker seems to think its gas because it smell a little of gas. I smelled it and it doesn't smell any different than any other boat oil or bildge water for that matter.
I've know that oil and water will stay in emulsion permanently without seperating in the right conditons and if mixed well enough ie. the motor.

He hasn't changed the oil in the time he's owned it (2.5 years) and he says he's checked it but never noticed the milky color. He is color blind and believes he could have missed it.

Either was there is SOMTINGWONG!

Suprahunter
02-15-2012, 09:55 AM
It looks like its starting to separate eventually the water will go to the bottom. Put it in the freezer overnight the water will freeze.

you da man
02-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Irish car bomb?

jmvotto
02-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I would do the freezer before the stove, just my Mho .Lol

DOCDRS
02-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the replys. Good idea Robert. My co-worker seems to think its gas because it smell a little of gas. I smelled it and it doesn't smell any different than any other boat oil or bildge water for that matter.
I've know that oil and water will stay in emulsion permanently without seperating in the right conditons and if mixed well enough ie. the motor.

He hasn't changed the oil in the time he's owned it (2.5 years) and he says he's checked it but never noticed the milky color. He is color blind and believes he could have missed it.

Either was there is SOMTINGWONG!

2.5 years........and he thinks he knows whats contaminating it? Is this a joke? Forest Gump summed it up ....stupid is as stupid does, or as my friend Ron Scarpa would say....There is no substitute for stupidity.......sorry for the blatant post but where is the common sense here. This guy should not own a boat , a car, a lawnmower, a weed eater or anything else that require basic maintenance. When did being colour blind become an excuse for not doing maintenance?
Put it on a hot plate? ...what a great idea..... gas/oil and a hot plate, woooo hooo a recipe for disaster and 2nd or 3rd degree burns .......who cares, its contaminated.....for all we know the guy left his boat outside without a cover off it and the rain/snow filled up his boat ......change the oil and test run the motor and see what the oil looks like......that is the first thing to do to try see if something is leaking into it......its february 15 and he's just drained his oil? where does he live?
More like his engine won't start and now he's trying to figure out why? How would gas get in the motor oil? Did he notice the level was low so he thought he would top it up with gas? Gas would burn off in a hot motor but most likely cause a back fire. How does gas get into the crank case?????? Its a carbed engine if gas has leaked thru the carb thru the intake manifold and into the crank case he's lucky the motor and boat has not exploded.
Change the oil , run it , then get back to us.......oh ya , its probably not running ......I am very curious.

newty
02-22-2012, 04:18 PM
LOL tell us how you really feel! The stinky oil is still sitting in my office... and still brown, but not oil brown.

DOCDRS
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
i feel much better now. Must have smelled some of that stinky oil.