PDA

View Full Version : nice touristy area near Tampa, Fl?

themurph
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I know there are quite a few members from Florida on this board and I wanted to see if anyone could offer a suggestion.

What is a nice area within an hours drive of Tampa, that is on the beach?

Looking for places that have bicycle paths, walking paths, nice hotels, easy access to the beach - the typical tourist thing.

How is the west side of Saint Petersburg?

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Where are you from? Your accent sounds like Pittsburgh.

themurph
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
fairly close

Coming down from Montgomery, Ohio.

Uncle who lived in Tampa passed away yesterday morning.

(yes, I did mistakingly add an "h" to Petersburg - also said I was looking for bike "baths" :0 )

lsvboombox
02-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Where are you from? Your accent sounds like Pittsburgh.

Lol.

Murph whats ur favorite place for wings?

sandm
02-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Lol.

Murph whats ur favorite place for wings?

no, what are your favorite chips? :)

themurph
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
without a doubt, "Martino's" on Vine Street in Cincy has the best wings I have ever had, and I'm not real fond of chips.

but anyhow - anyone have any recomendations for the Tampa area?

KSmith
02-13-2012, 03:23 PM
no, what are your favorite chips? :)

Fill in the blank. If a rabid hampster were to charge you, you would ________ ?

themurph
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I'd give it to your Mother!

Ooops....Or aren't you the guy with all the mother jokes

maxpower220
02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
There are a lot of nice areas in and around St Pete and Tampa. Downtown St. Pete has a nice area where you can bike, walk, jog. There are a few museums (Dali is very nice) there and some nice shops. It is on the waters edge. Tampa has Bay to Bay/Gulf to Bay which is the longest, continous sidewalk in the south. In N. Tampa, there is a toll road called Veteran's Expressway. Next to it is a bike/jogging path that was completed in the last 5-7 yrs.

I live in N.E. Tampa (called New Tampa). Within 5 miles of me are 4 biking parks and one canoeing area (Hillsborough River). Also, I live on a private lake with an Outback. It should be in the mid 70s tomorrow and the rest of the week. I can give you a pull if interested.

Also, Busch Gardens is a decent place with good rides and lot of animals. The Lowery Park zoo is nice, the Tampa Aquarium is nice (I haven't been) and the Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) has lots for kids to do.

themurph
02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Thank you! Exactly the info I needed.

Thanks for the pull offer, but I won't be with the folks going to Tampa

wolfeman131
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Ah, Martino's. The place to be in Cincinnati if you're a Steelers Fan.

Paul, fair warning to you. . . . . .

"themurph" once posted this pic of his boardshorts.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/freak-in-tight-jeans-shorts.jpg

bergermaister
02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
without a doubt, "Martino's" on Vine Street in Cincy has the best wings I have ever had, and I'm not real fond of chips.

Definitely sounds like a gay bar to me.

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Interestingly, there is a half marathon event coming up in St. Pete:

http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_florida_fla_beach_halfathon_hal f_marathon.html

KSmith
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
I'd give it to your Mother!

Ooops....Or aren't you the guy with all the mother jokes

Well you devil, my mother is a widow, she may take a liking to you.
But alas I'm not the one with the mother jokes. Dusty's mom might be the one you're thinking of LOL

sandm
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Fill in the blank. If a rabid hampster were to charge you, you would ________ ?

run real fast as I'm an avid marathoner, straight to the convenience store for some Wise chips... oh wait... probably not running real fast today as I have my Crocks on.. :)

dusty2221
02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Got your moisture wicking t shirt on?

mmandley
02-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Ohh Wolf that was an image i didnt need reminded of LOL. I lived in Tamps for a while, when my pops was at Mc Dill AFB we lived on the corner of W Bay ave and Clark.

Murf i always liked going to Clearwater Beach, some of the clearest water you ever seen, and the beach bunnies are pretty nice too LOL

themurph
02-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Only guys who like hampsters would settle for just a 1/2 marathon. That's a girlie distance

It's not me going to Tampa. And thanks for the info about the running event - that very well could change their plans. Hotels may be hard to come by.

I'll be home. Home is in a warm state, where the nearest Supra/Moomba dealer is a three hour drive from my house.

By the way...there is a new member on here who's name is "predator".

Better check him out, he may be from Orlando..."the wakeboarding capital of the world"

That photo is great advertising for eating snack foods. "Look at me - I got this way from eating jalapeno chips".

Got the nick name "Murph the Surf" when I was 7 years old, and since then my family has always called me "themurph".

So here I am - themurph

maxpower220
02-14-2012, 08:49 AM
It's a sad state of forums when, after 2 pages, I am the only one posting an actual response to the question (and it may have been helpful).

Also, don't forget The Mons Venus (I am sure you have heard of it). It is jusst off of the interstate in Tampa.

wolfeman131
02-14-2012, 09:08 AM
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Papa_Smurf_by_balfreak.jpg

KSmith
02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
It's a sad state of forums when, after 2 pages, I am the only one posting an actual response to the question (and it may have been helpful).

Sorry Max, Seems we can't bring ourselves to play nice with He Who Can't Be Named ;-)

sandm
02-14-2012, 09:48 AM
By the way...there is a new member on here who's name is "predator".

Better check him out, he may be from Orlando..."the wakeboarding capital of the world"

and here we go again... how many userid's can I create in a week to keep the mods busy..

newty
02-14-2012, 10:27 AM
The Clemont troll is back!

ECDB #1

wolfeman131
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
So here I am - themurph

And, now you're gone.

Again.

brain_rinse
02-14-2012, 11:27 AM
This was like watching a cat play with a mouse before eating it.