PDA

View Full Version : knee brace?

wakeflip
02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Anybody ever use the evs Web knee brace for wake boarding? They have it on Ebay for $250 shipped. I tore the meniscus in my right knee last year and i need something thats going to prevent any more damage.

wolfeman131
02-12-2012, 11:58 AM
i need something thats going to prevent any more damage.

Is surfing behind that big ole XLV an option?

wakeflip
02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Lol yeah, one day I'll give it a shot. Never tried it, and I don't have a board or anything. Hoping maybe one day somebody will take me out and show me how its done. That way i can see if I like it before i invest in all the gear.

wolfeman131
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I'll show you what I know anytime you'd like. We have a place on Sinclair, not too far from you.

And, first official announcement on this, we have a Skier's Choice Owners Reunion planned for July 14th this year. Bring the new ride over to show her off.

Moseley618
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I sell Breg knee braces and I am not trying to sell anything. It looks cool but I doubt it offers any real level of support. If you look close at the pictures you can see the poor job they do wrapping the brace in some material to make it look carbon fiber. If you just tore your meniscus and have no other damage ie; tore ACL, PCL, LCL or MCL then a functional brace will be overkill. You might look into an OA brace to prevent cartilage damage on the side you tore your meniscus.

wakeflip
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
So I was browsing through the breg oa knee braces. There's a few choices. I'm thinking the Fusion XT OA Knee Brace? Good for wake boarding? And whats the price on one of those?

Moseley618
02-12-2012, 02:52 PM
The Fusion XT OA would be fine for wake boarding. It might be overkill because it is designed for contact sports like football. You really need a prescription from your Dr to get one "legally". That being said you can buy them at places online like:http://www.braceshop.com/productcart/pc/Breg-Fusion-XT-OA-Arthritis-Knee-Brace-42p1780.htm You need to know what side of your knee the meniscus was torn from either Medial or Lateral. If it was torn on Medial side you need a Medial OA brace.

KSmith
02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
It might be overkill because it is designed for contact sports like football.

Obviously never seen me try and wakeboard. For me it is a contact sport as I have frequent violent contact with the water... Ouch, and here I thought the EVS brace was expensive, boy was I wrong!

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Obviously never seen me try and wakeboard. For me it is a contact sport as I have frequent violent contact with the water... Ouch, and here I thought the EVS brace was expensive, boy was I wrong!

Violent contact with the water-- sounds like what my doc says when he's writing in my chart and making that tsk tsk tsk sound with his lips.

KSmith
02-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Violent contact with the water-- sounds like what my doc says when he's writing in my chart and making that tsk tsk tsk sound with his lips.

Yup :-) In my crew it's not the trick that gets rated, it's the violent ending.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-14-2012, 02:19 AM
i had surgery for my torn acl and meniscus on jan 2009 and with my surgery i got a knee brace to wear for when i played baseball basketball snowboard or wakeboard. i hardly wear the thing anymore but keep it in the boat for when i'm get the balls to try something i haven't perfected yet on board. it was around 500 bucks but hey for the piece of mind i think it'd be worth looking into. just don't try to kid yourself with a brace that is cheaper cause it may not give you the support ya need. mine is a don joy brand

mk_deuce
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
I had the evs webs to race motocross & had I not had boots on the things would have slipped down my legs. They are big & super bulky. They offer more impact protection than twisting protection in my opinion I currently ride motocross, wakeboard, & snowboard with asterisk cell braces. They provide great support & really cinch up tight around the knee area. These can be had on used on ebay for relatively cheap compared to new. They also do really well in water.