PDA

View Full Version : life of gasoline?

themurph
02-12-2012, 08:35 AM
How long can gas sit around in cans (without a stabilizing additive) and still be okay to use in the boat?

Think after about 4-5 months it is still fine to use?

DOCDRS
02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Gasoline can be stored from a couple of months to a couple of years , depending on storage conditions. The gas you buy at the pump is a couple of days to a couple of months old from storage.

What makes gas go stale is evaporation, oxidation and contamination.
Usually the lighter , volitile chemicals evaporate first, leaving a less 'peppy' fuel. Less BTU.

So if it was stored in a hermetically sealed container with no air in a cool dark place you are fine.

maxpower220
02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Unless you are buying ethenol free gas, I would not put that gas in your boat. It will probably be fine for your car, if it is newer and is mixed with the gas already in the car.

No since in risking it.

themurph
02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
It sure isn't ethenol free. In fact I don't know of anyone that sells ethenol free.

put it in the car and the tractor and get fresh gas for the boat.

I agree.

Thanks for the replies!

zabooda
02-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Our Conoco here is all ethanol free and costs more. I wouldn't keep the same gas in the boat for more than two months. I've seen ethanol mess up too many engines. What people need to be concerned about is E15 that is coming next if the EPA has its way.

http://fueltestkit.com/petition_e15.html

KSmith
02-13-2012, 07:55 AM
Oh let's not get started on the voodoo science of ethanol blended gasoline... One of the great con jobs of our era...

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I would run that stuff through the mower, not the boat.

maxpower220
02-13-2012, 04:23 PM
I would run that stuff through the mower, not the boat.

Why, do you want the mower to quit running too?

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
The mower will run on kerosene or lacquer thinner. Don't worrry.

rc5695
02-14-2012, 12:36 PM
if you need someplace to dispose of it, dump it in my boat. I'll run it. there is nothing wrong with that gas.

jmb
02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I agree, I have never had a problem

mmandley
02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Ive left fuel in my old cars for year at a time, but i left it in the tank while it was full and i was in AZ so low low humidity.
Worst thing your going to encounter is water
Next is low octane causing pre detonation <very bad>

If you are not worried about water then i would do 2 things. Get a bottle of Green Stabil as this treats for ethanl and water, and then add a bottle of 104 octane booster to it and run it.

Worst that happens is you get poor hour usage for that tank, lack of power compared to a fresh tank.

Personally if my tank is full on the boat i would do the above and run it, if the tank wasnt full in NW climate i would drain it and dump it in Claudias car with the above items.

Speaking of Mowers, i got a nice Toro, 2 years old and now it wont start for chit, it starts and then dies like 3 or 4 times, once it starts and runs it has no power to mow untill it warms up for 5 minutes and it was never like that before. I changed the spark plug and no help. I normaly drain the fuel and refill the tank to help it start but it till has weak power till it warms up then it runs great. Any mower guys got some incite? I never had this issue and lawmowers are sopposed to be simple, carb, coil, plug, fuel, cut stuff LOL