PDA

View Full Version : Did I yank the right thing?

bkearney
02-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I think my starter is bad. I planned to yank it and take it to autozone to have it tested. So, I yanked the part in the photo and they said I missed part of it. Is this the starter? Do I need to yank the solenoid which is above it?

Thanks!

-- bk

wolfeman131
02-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Based on the title of this thread, Dusty's Mom should be able to answer this.

bkearney
02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
I knew I would get a good response with that title.

Hoopskier
02-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Umm...ya it looks like you are missing some parts. I assume they are still on the engine. The starter has a solenoid and an aluminum nose cone. What you have pulled off is the electric motor part of the starter. I added a link with a picture
https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2351

Have to get back in there and find some more parts. There should be two larger bolts that hold the nose piece in that allow the remaining parts to come off the engine block.

WaterBullDawg1980
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
You didn't include the solenoid. Its the smaller round thingy. You can get it all off by just using the two bolts from the bottom.

You also may want to take that sucker apart and clean it then see if it fixes the issue. They have brushes inside that you can clean with sandpaper. I have had to do it in the past, very easy.

Suprahunter
02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Looks like you removed the two long threw bolts on the back of the starter. The front aluminum housing is probably still attached to the block?

bkearney
02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks folks. I found the bolt underneath and took out the rest. Autozone thinks it is dead, although they had a hard time finding the right part. Off to find a rebuild place. Thanks!

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Kudos to you for taking this on yourself. It's the time of year to get this stuff done. A good rebuild is probably as good or better than a lot of the new ones you might get. Let us know how it works out.

chawk610
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I agree Kane... I ordered a starter for my old MC a couple years ago... they OF COURSE sent the incorrect rotation... 2 weeks wasted during prime boating season.