PDA

View Full Version : FYI Paying for items via Pay Pal

themurph
02-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Wanted to share the following article...

There is a new technique for scamming that all traders should be aware of when making a payment through PayPal for an item bought online. A relatively new feature on PayPal’s website is the ability to send a fee-free “gift” or "personal" payment. Such a payment is solely for the purpose of sending a cash gift -– not for the payment of goods bought/sold on the internet.

You may be saying, “that’s great! – the seller will be happy that he/she isn’t going to be docked a fee for our transaction!” But, what is not readily explained is: this “gift” payment option comes with ZERO buyer protection – meaning, you cannot dispute a transaction if you receive a faulty item or do not receive your item at all. Many online scammers are requesting payment in this way so that the buyer cannot file a PayPal claim – if a seller requests that you pay via this method for a substantial item, please be very cautious as the item could be defective or not exist!

>>> How to avoid selecting the "gift" payment option:

This feature is somewhat disguised when making a payment on PayPal’s website. After selecting the “send money” tab in your PayPal account, type in the amount you want to send. To maintain your buyer protection and charge the seller a fee, keep the "payment reason" tab on "purchase" and select an option such as "goods." To send money as a "gift payment" or (personal payment), select the tab "personal" and select an option such as "other" or "payment powed" -- toggling back to the "purchase" tab will return to the "normal" (fee included) payment method.

sandm
02-11-2012, 10:44 AM
still say the best advice is to pay with a cc, not bank account. paypal touts a buyer protection policy, but the only way you can get your money back is if the recipient has not drained the cash out of paypal. they CANNOT get money back from the seller if there is no money there to latch onto. cc's will do the work for you and in 99% of cases, you win with almost 0 effort...

lsvboombox
02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Your a weiner if you pay via gift for anything unless its actually a gift. The word gift alone explains what that option is. If its not a gift dont send it as a gift.

themurph
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
yuuuuuuuuuup.

Some people just don't get it, so we have to spell it out.

Don't be fooled when the seller tells you - "hey, I'll give you a break on the price if you pay as a "gift" on your credit card. That way I won't be charged fees by Pay Pal, and I'll pass the savings on to you".

jmvotto
02-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Depends on if you know the guy. I always use a cc, but I paid newty for the transom lights with the gift feature so he did not take a hit on the fees, but yes when you sell and accept PayPal, you assume a charge. Good advice. Watch for scammers.

wolfeman131
02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
This is especially important to remember when one is trying to unload a wake kite or an Exile amp.

DOCDRS
02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
wakekite? amp? next you guys will be talking code about ballast bags

wolfeman131
02-11-2012, 11:27 PM
And the wakeboarding Capital of THE WORLD!

mmandley
02-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Wanted to share the following article...

There is a new technique for scamming that all traders should be aware of when making a payment through PayPal for an item bought online. A relatively new feature on PayPal’s website is the ability to send a fee-free “gift” or "personal" payment. Such a payment is solely for the purpose of sending a cash gift -– not for the payment of goods bought/sold on the internet.

You may be saying, “that’s great! – the seller will be happy that he/she isn’t going to be docked a fee for our transaction!” But, what is not readily explained is: this “gift” payment option comes with ZERO buyer protection – meaning, you cannot dispute a transaction if you receive a faulty item or do not receive your item at all. Many online scammers are requesting payment in this way so that the buyer cannot file a PayPal claim – if a seller requests that you pay via this method for a substantial item, please be very cautious as the item could be defective or not exist!

>>> How to avoid selecting the "gift" payment option:

This feature is somewhat disguised when making a payment on PayPal’s website. After selecting the “send money” tab in your PayPal account, type in the amount you want to send. To maintain your buyer protection and charge the seller a fee, keep the "payment reason" tab on "purchase" and select an option such as "goods." To send money as a "gift payment" or (personal payment), select the tab "personal" and select an option such as "other" or "payment powed" -- toggling back to the "purchase" tab will return to the "normal" (fee included) payment method.

Thats good to know, i can say i had to use the Paypal dispute 2x last year, both times i got my money back. The big thing with Pay Pal is you have to supply them a Web site you got it from. I persoanly try to always buy Amazon online because there claim department is even better then using Pay Pal. Plus i have CC back up to claim with as well.

sandm
02-12-2012, 12:56 PM
And the wakeboarding Capital of THE WORLD!

someone quietly trying to get back into the fray?? :)