PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Boat Show - Met a Celebrity

02-11-2012, 02:38 AM
The kids and I went to the Calgary Boat show today and got to meet someone very special, the man himself, Mr.Rick Tinker. I couldn't believe how friendly he was. He was like a regular guy, I was so impressed! He actually sat in the Mojo with a few of us for 10 or 15 minutes and told us the concept behind the boat, why they built it like they did and what made it special. Guys, it was like he was saying all the things the people on this board have been typing. SC actually listens.

Anyways, the boat show was excellent and it was great to see all the new models and features. I have to say I really do like the Mojo after seeing it a few times. I wish it had a black top deck though. If you could get it in black or any color Gel coat for that matter, I think people would really like that.

They had the new Xstar there too ($160k). Yup, its nice. Very very nice. $160k Nice, lol.

Anyways we really enjoyed the show and meeting Mr.Tinker and getting to tell him how Moomba now pulls all the Alberta Wakeboard contests because the head of Alberta Wakeboarding bought a Moomba after taking a ride on mine.

Overall good day.

kaneboats
02-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Awesome, Levi! Don't you get the feeling he's got all of us in mind every day?

rdlangston13
02-11-2012, 04:27 AM
so why is the dash on the mojo still ugly?

NCSUmoomba
02-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Yeah, Rick and SC pay attention and they know we are. When I met Rick in Raleigh and told him I was on the forum, has asked for my screen name. I told him and he instantly knew who I was. SC has good people, and good boats.

newty
02-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Ricks a great guy. Mandley and I met him 2 years ago. Down to earth and funny.

Mikey
02-11-2012, 10:47 PM
I was at the show today as well but musta missed Rick. Some seriously cool boats . A Few with some very hefty pricetags . I enjoyed checking the Moombas/Supras but was dissapointed ,there was no Outback DD . To show Moomba still carries a DD boat wich is becoming a dying breed.

I talked to a friend whos the local Centurion dealer and asked about the Carbon Fibre ski boat new to there line up? To see if he had one. His answer... Not likely ever gonna see one round here. Price tag?? 150k. I thought the Ski Nautique and Mastercraft and Malibu were pricey but WTF?. Gotta say i still Love my Outback.
Noticed many manufacturers have gone to the forward swoop tower,similar to SC and mounting locations are usually similar. My real beef with that is how do you get into a boat from the side,without stepping all over the vynyl or climbing into the bow. What if your tied to a dock thats shorter than your boat so swim platform is not accesible and your tower is loaded with boards etc?.. Kinda shitty climbing in on Vynyl... Engineers????? What was ya thinkin?

deerfield
02-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Gotta say i still Love my Outback.

Ditto! Starts first time every time, handles like a sports car, tows like a champ, and it IS AFFORDABLE.

mmandley
02-12-2012, 10:45 AM
It wouldnt surprise me of ole Tinker reads these boards every few days as part of his office day. Proly just sits back invisable, or has a secret screen name LOL.

He does listen and he does know who all the regulars are on the board.

Like Newty said we got to meet him a couple years ago at the Evening with the Starts at AWS. Hes a great guy and real nice to talk with. I told him my sceen name and the color combo and he said ohh year and started naming things on the boat i had upgraded.

Thats cool

wolfeman131
02-12-2012, 11:17 AM
He's not secret about it. He's "Rick T" on the boards. I don't think he's the kind of guy to sneak around behind an alias, IMO. Again at this years Atlanta Boat Show, I was able to spend some extended time with him and I was again impressed with his honesty and vision for SC.

Glad you got to meet him, Levi.

mmandley
02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
He's not secret about it. He's "Rick T" on the boards. I don't think he's the kind of guy to sneak around behind an alias, IMO. Again at this years Atlanta Boat Show, I was able to spend some extended time with him and I was again impressed with his honesty and vision for SC.

Glad you got to meet him, Levi.

Well i didnt mean it like that LOL. I would expect he sits back unlisted or under an alias so he can read in peace, people who saw him online would prolly message him more then they already do. LOL

wolfeman131
02-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I knew ya didn't, but I didn't want others who haven't met him think that he might be doing that.

iwaterskihard
02-13-2012, 09:35 AM
Edmontons boat show comes up next month. The family ALWAYS makes the hour plus trip in to have a look at the new boats and maybe take advantage of some discounted out of date stuff that they make you think you're getting such a good deal on!!! LMAO
At any rate I firmly fall in line with others on this post in the sense that DD are a dying breed. In saying that......so are waterskiers!!!!!
I'm amazed every spring at the amount of people who shell out $100K plus for these new BIG wakeboard boats and have NO CLUE how to operate them?
I was just down in Houston a couple weeks ago and popped into Rinkers Boat World and met the owner Chris. Great guy, very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Had a good visit and will certainly stop in there again on my next trip.
He too has very few DD pure 3 event boats on his lot.
Shame to see these boats losing space on the water to all these big ass, wave makers!!!!!!
Can you tell I don't wakeboard?????? LOL :)

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Why not? I was a skier for 30 years (never very good though) before I tried a wakeboard. I immediately thought-- "Hey, this is fun!" It doesn't make you a traitor or anything. Try it; you might like it. Then I tried wakesurfing. Guess what? That's fun too. I'm trying to teach the kids to ski, wakeboard, wakesurf, wakeskate, kneeboard % anything else you can do on the water -- except tubing -- that definitely makes you traitor. ;)

iwaterskihard
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM
LOL Kane! I have tried and do partake in a few other activities. I admit that surfing is fun. My point really was that the 3 event DD boats are really going by the wayside as are everyday good waterskiers. It's not too often one sits on the beach or their boat enjoying a good cold beverage and can look out on the water and see someone ripping it up on a slalom ski and leaving behind a nice wall of water and a few ripples. :)

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
True! I haven't seen that in a while. In fact, last summer I only recall seeing one guy that was truly ripping it on the slalom. Then again, no one has ever seen me doing so-- or at least not since about 1990.

lloydw
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=501;167541]The kids and I went to the Calgary Boat show today and got to meet someone very special, the man himself, Mr.Rick Tinker. I couldn't believe how friendly he was. He was like a regular guy, I was so impressed! He actually sat in the Mojo with a few of us for 10 or 15 minutes and told us the concept behind the boat, why they built it like they did and what made it special. Guys, it was like he was saying all the things the people on this board have been typing. SC actually listens.

I met Rick T. too but didn't know it until later, he said he was from the 'factory' and he was was showing me the Outback V. I mentioned I had on 08 Outback DD. He asked if I would consider a trade, I said possibly, he went and talked to Martin Motorsports owner and came out with a great offer for my 08.
I went for a walk called the wife told her the offer, came back put a deposit on new 2012 Outback V! Just as I was leaving after the paper work, he gives me his card, I didn't look at it put it in my wallet and then just looked at it today. Thanks Rick!

Looking forward to summer even more now!

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Awesome story! Please post your pics when you get her. Gonna be a great summer!

Living the Dream.
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
My wife and I just bought an outback v at the show in Calgary Canada. The sales person from The boat show said there was a rep there. We added some upgrades to our boat and asked if the rep could give us a deal on them. The rep being Rick gave us great deal on the few added extras after the four credit deal (added a biminie and a heater after the fact.). I'm just saying I didn't relize who he was(lol) untill we read the posts.

wolfeman131
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
There you guys! Congrats on the new boats. Get some pics up ASAP.

For others, when you can, ALWAYS take advantage of the boat show deals! They simply can't be replicated any other time of the year. Even holdover boats aren't as good of a deal due to the depreciation hit (NADA doesn't care when you bought it/how many hours it has) and most holdovers are loaded with features that you may not want, but will be paying for.

iwaterskihard
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Great stories.............wonder if Rick is going to be in Edmonton for their show?

Rick???????????????????????

dru1974
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
where ya be from Living the Dream?

lloydw
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Now I'm thinking I should get my heater and bimini thrown in too! Sounds like a good deal for your congrats!