PDA

View Full Version : Good deal, good boat?

wakeflip
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Found a 2004 mobius xlv for $22k It's got 1220 hours but looks to be pretty clean and well maintained. I'm a mechanic so I'm not too worried about maintance. I'll service the whole boat before I start the season. Is this a good buy at this price, and does it make a good wake for wakeboarding?

bkearney
02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
What else does it have?

wakeflip
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Triple ballast, perfect pass, cd player, two Tower speakers, new interior, everything but the Bimini

KSmith
02-09-2012, 01:49 PM
He's ALIVE!!

Where have you been hiding?

wakeflip
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Lol I sold my blue moomba cause I made a big profit off it, and was planning on buying another one right after. Lots of things happened and held me back. But, finally back on my feet and hopefully picking up this xlv tomorrow morning. If that goes well I'll be throwing on the wet suit and seeing what kinda wake it puts out.

KSmith
02-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Welcome back, good to see your still kickin! Where are you going to dunk it if you get it?

wakeflip
02-09-2012, 02:24 PM
I'll be kickin until my legs fall off. Hopefully Altoona if there is any water. I'm not even going to risk trying Jackson lake. Too many stumps.

KSmith
02-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Allatoona is about 9 feet under full. Not ideal but certainly doable, just stear clear of the more shallow parts.

Launch at blockhouse and head towards the dam, no worries. Well a little tight by McKinney but again doable.

Edit: The dock at blockhouse is at the edge of the water so not usable yet, but if you don't mind wading out to the boat after launch then no worries.

wakeflip
02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Exactly what I wanted to hear. Gonna be a cold run but sounds like I'll be out.

bzubke1
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal and since your a mechanic if the rings start to go and lose compression i'm sure you can rebuild it or get a new short block pretty cheap.

newty
02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Welcome back! I hear the wake can be finicky. The surf wake can be challenging as well. I've heard they don't handle very well either. This is all things I've heard so its certainly not gosple. Definitly test drive it and make sure its sound. It will handle quite differently than your ob so be ready. Wake & space vs performance. Eye of the beerholder.

Boonejeepin
02-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Not sure if my 2010 is the exact same hull. The XLV seems to be weight sensitive from side to side. It takes a lot of weight to get her leaning for surfing. I still have over a foot to the rub rail with ~2800 lbs of ballast. It handles like a truck. I have not driven many other tournament boats but my old Sea Ray 185 was a sports car in comparison.

I love the space it gives though. Over all it does what I need but I am still a water sports newbie.

newty
02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Not sure if my 2010 is the exact same hull. The XLV seems to be weight sensitive from side to side. It takes a lot of weight to get her leaning for surfing. I still have over a foot to the rub rail with ~2800 lbs of ballast. It handles like a truck. I have not driven many other tournament boats but my old Sea Ray 185 was a sports car in comparison.

I love the space it gives though. Over all it does what I need but I am still a water sports newbie.

Different hull. But many of the same issues. That's a lot of boat to lean over.

wakeflip
02-10-2012, 01:05 AM
What's different about the 07 and the 04 hull?

kaneboats
02-10-2012, 09:56 AM
That's what I was wondering. I drove an '07 or '08, I think, at our prop testing weekend a couple of years ago. I was surprised that it drove almost exactly like the LSV but just felt a little bigger. Thought it threw a decent surf wake without all that much ballast. It needed more-- but no surprise there. This is a proven hull design. I would not be too worried. I've been on here a couple of years now and haven't heard too many complaints about the XLV except for one guy who keeps buying the wrong boat for his needs.

KSmith
02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I've been on here a couple of years now and haven't heard too many complaints about the XLV except for one guy who keeps buying the wrong boat for his needs.

Great, wonderful, thanks for that.... now I have to wipe up the coffee I spewed all over my desk... ;-)

02-10-2012, 11:14 PM
If you wanna see what an XLV can do just watch all the videos I have posted up. With 2600 lbs, yes it does handle like a truck, but un weighted, I find it's pretty nimble for a 23 foot boat. I know a few years back in the tests in the mags with all the other 23 foot boats (Malibus, MC's etc.) the XLV had the fastest holeshot and time to plane. It only weighs 3600lbs which is not a lot for a 23 ft boat.

For surfing, a 750 in the rear locker is all you need. You can add more of course but a 750 alone will have you surfing all day and the boat will NOT be taking on any water, its a really dry boat. Wakeboarding fully loaded you will need to be above 22mph but if you are riding a 23 foot boat with 2600lbs of ballast, you should be riding that speed anyways, not 18mph.

It can be a little sensitive of weight side to side (especially when weighted) but so is an xstar. Just balance it out. No biggie and common on most bigger boats.

The hull was changed for 2008, before that they were the same.

Check out my video "2 years of footage" to see what an XLV hull will do with all hidden ballast.

Boonejeepin
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
If you wanna see what an XLV can do just watch all the videos I have posted up. With 2600 lbs, yes it does handle like a truck, but un weighted, I find it's pretty nimble for a 23 foot boat. I know a few years back in the tests in the mags with all the other 23 foot boats (Malibus, MC's etc.) the XLV had the fastest holeshot and time to plane. It only weighs 3600lbs which is not a lot for a 23 ft boat.

For surfing, a 750 in the rear locker is all you need. You can add more of course but a 750 alone will have you surfing all day and the boat will NOT be taking on any water, its a really dry boat. Wakeboarding fully loaded you will need to be above 22mph but if you are riding a 23 foot boat with 2600lbs of ballast, you should be riding that speed anyways, not 18mph.

It can be a little sensitive of weight side to side (especially when weighted) but so is an xstar. Just balance it out. No biggie and common on most bigger boats.

The hull was changed for 2008, before that they were the same.

Check out my video "2 years of footage" to see what an XLV hull will do with all hidden ballast.

I do agree with this. The XLV is a very enjoyable boat. It is very nice to be able to get all the ballast hidden as mentioned above.

The bottom line is that I love my XLV and I think most people would as well.

evoimport6
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I've had both lsv and now have an XLV, I don't think it handles any different than the lsv. I think the x does better in chop. I gues I'm not that into aggressive driving on the lake? I think to say it handles like a truck is retarded!

wakeflip
02-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Well I bought the boat. Couldn't be any happier with it. It's in awesome condition. Only thing it needs is a Bimini top but I found a z5 cargo rack for $800 I'm going to pick up. Hopefully planning on taking it out next sat. The weather is supposed to be around 70 degrees. As long as that holds up I'll be throwing on the wet suit and trying out my new ronix one board. One thing I did find out, the boat has 6 ballast bags. Pretty sure with the size of the boat and six bags, the wake ought to be insane. I'll post pics after next weekends ride.

KSmith
02-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Congrats! Looking forward to the pics!

wolfeman131
02-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes Sir, congratulations! Hope next weekend is a lot better than this one so you can get out on the water.

kaneboats
02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Congrats! I'm sure you're going to love it. Now let's see some pics!

sicktc06
02-16-2012, 12:29 PM
I wanna drive! I wanna drive!!
OH OH Pick me! Pick me!! *waves hands frantically in air*

wakeflip
02-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Hahaha yea. Im sure me and Jesus will be the only ones boarding so my guess says yeah, you'll be driving lol

sicktc06
02-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Calling me a chicken?!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/28920_393096735683_706715683_4623075_3115694_n.jpg

I can't wait to get out on the boat man. I want to see the wake difference of it and mine! I'm excited you finally got the one you've been talking about a lot!

wakeflip
02-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I know right! Esp at such a good deal. And everyday this week has been like christmas thanks to the ups man. I've ordered so much stuff and it keeps coming in everyday. Fixin to leave to go to Atlanta to pick up my z5 cargo rack :D

KSmith
02-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Where are you guys going to be? Allatoona? If so whereabouts?

wakeflip
02-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Gonna drop in at block house. Prob turn right under the bridge and stay in the main body. I don't wanna risk anything shallow as the gel coat is brand new on the bottom. Don't wanna hit a sandbar or stump.