PDA

View Full Version : Triple X users help

viking
02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Thinking about picking up a Triple X board as I can get one new for about $280 shipped to my front door.

Keep in mind I have a DD and surf wave is not that big.

Would a Skim or Surf style be better? I'm 5'7" 160lbs give or take. Using CWB Ride currently as I learned on it last 2 years.

Looking at
1.) Slasher Pro 5'6"
2.) Slasher Pro 4'8"
3.) Composite Skim 4'10"

PS.......have been searching for an IS Squirt for awhile but no luck finding one for $300 anywhere

bergermaister
02-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Subscribed! I've lost 3-4 ebay auctions on the Triple X boards in the last few months. I'm looking at the Slasher's too but not totally sure which I would want. If I recall, Brian from Exile has one and gave big kudos about the Triple X board's performance on here a while back.

For a smaller wake I'm thinking you'd do better with a surf style that has more floatation?

PS - I picked up my IS Squirt from Bart's watersports for around $300. It was a 'blem' but I'll be damned if I could find anything blemished about it!

viking
02-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Subscribed!
PS - I picked up my IS Squirt from Bart's watersports for around $300. It was a 'blem' but I'll be damned if I could find anything blemished about it!

I know! I've been looking ever since you posted your delivery :) Damn the luck (or lack thereof) :)

bergermaister
02-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I believe Ryan (rc5695) has a Triple X board. Maybe he'll chime in here if he's not too busy unpacking boxes still.

harmsway
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
I have the Slasher Pro 4'8" and I have been extremely pleased with the board. It is fast, very bouyant and it is easy to cut back and forth on the wave. I purchased the Slasher at the beginning of 2011 it was our 1st board so I can't compare it to anything else. My specs are almost identical to yours (size) and my son also rides the board with ease, he is 5'5" - 120lbs. I've tried some spins but could never pull it out, with or with out the fins. I purchased a new Alias TT this year for $100, I figured I couldn't loose at that price and maybe figure out how to spin. The Triple X can usually be picked up for a pretty good deal compared to other boards. And I am def not a pro so I'm not sure if $600 or $800 board would make me any better.lol

You might also check out evo.com. There outlet has several boards for under $300.00.

kaneboats
02-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I have the skim style on but it's the 58" I think. Cheapo one but I love it. Not the best workmanship on it but it's sure fun to ride.

kaneboats
02-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I believe Ryan (rc5695) has a Triple X board. Maybe he'll chime in here if he's not too busy unpacking boxes still.

Ryan rode mine last summer and it slipped all out from under him the first time. But, that was July. By Aug. I think he was riding his like a pro. Those boards are some fun.

sandm
02-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I've ridden several styles of their boards as one of their pros lives here. he's a real nice kid. would wait at the dock for surfboats and go out with 3-4 boards for you to demo and hope to sell you one while in the water.
best one I rode from them was a skim board that was all carbon. super light and real fast. said it was a prototype that they never sold. he wouldn't sell it :(

I don't think you can go wrong with any of their products... quality is real good, but they are somewhat more fragile than a typical inland or phase5 board. gotta be a little more careful with them..

Salyers
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I have and LS DD and have the 4"8 and i think the 5"6? They work great and I can go way back on the wake. Best board I have had behind my boat yet. I still want to try and IS board!
As far as durability goes these boards are very durable. My wife even ran over one with our Tundra and it survived intact!

I got mine on Ebay this time last fall and paid $179 for the 5"6. Lost several bids and then finally got it for cheap! You just have to keep trying

Brianinpdx
02-06-2012, 03:55 PM
:pXXX

Hey guys, just caught a glimpse of this thread on the main forum. Yes, I do run a xxx Slasher board 5.0 ft I think these boards ROCK! A few observations

- These boards are Very fast. Fastest I've road. I'm probably one of few people that ride a lot of different boats and with different gear. Initially this was what attracted me to the slasher. If you've a smaller wake, or wave with little push, this is the board for you.
- These boards are pretty wide. makes it good for larger guys. I can't tell you how many 4.8ft boards i've been on and struggled to stay in the pocket.
- These boards are FRAGILE. be very careful with it.
- These boards are very lightweight.

So those are the high points of my experience with XXX. I think for the price as compared to the other high performance boards on the market this is a winner.

As a side note, I have an IS Swallow pro (http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2757) showing up in a few weeks. I suspect the local guys will be all over borrowing that board this year haha!

I'M READY TO SURF!

:>

-Brian
Exile Audio

Brianinpdx
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Oh I forgot to mention - these boards come with 3 fins. When your running 3 fins the board is TOTALLY locked in and not so fun to ride. Remove the center fin and the slasher changes dramatically. I prefer the surf style board, but this is personal preference.

rc5695
02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
I have the composite (burried in the garage under boxes somewhere right now ;) )

As a newbie, I don't recommend it. It is fairly hard to ride and pretty slippery. I'm going to get more time in on a more user friendly board first. I can ride it now, and even carry a kid with me on it, but it is work. I want to get a better feel for surfing and riding style before going back to that board. I think it'll be spending most of this summer in my garage.

FYI: I paid like $250 for it as a blem off eBay last Christmas :)