PDA

View Full Version : Where does everyone order spring supplies from?

ryan_8099
02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
First year doing our own oil change with the boat...

Going to order our Pennzoil Marine 15W-40 from Westmarine.

Looks like we need a Pennzoil PZ3 Oil Filter which possibly has been replaced by PZ-52? Also, we have to get an impeller. Where does everyone order this stuff from?

Thanks

kaneboats
02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Oil filter you can get anywhere from autozone to walmart. There a list on here somewhere of all the ones that will work. As for the impeller-- skidim.com

bergermaister
02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Yikes - spendy going there I'll bet... I'd suggest good old Wally Word for the Shell Rotella type motor oil Many discussions in the past on this topic. Many of us use the Rotella. Filter is really personal preference as to the brand. My dealer used NAPA, I put on a Fram.

Haven't had to order an impeller yet personally but I'd suggest skidim or similar.

sandm
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
oil and filter at the local automotive shop. I went synth so I get castrol.

check your local shop for the impellar. I bought my last one for $24 from the dealer. was a little more expensive than online, but no shipping charges(offsets the tax) and I know I have the correct one..

bkearney
02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
+1 for the filter from the local auto parts, and the oil from wallmart. I picked up a Topsider at Northern Freight so I did not need to do gymnastics to get to the oil pan http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_390306_390306.

BTW @bergmesiter, you are the only person other than my mother who calls it Wally World. Funny!

bergermaister
02-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Guess I'm old school.

Be careful bringing your mom into this place. There's sharks in this water!

viking
02-02-2012, 11:17 PM
bakesmarine.com has all you need as well.
think i just received an email that it's "free freight february" too!

Boonejeepin
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
To clarify....

Cougars are shark bait?

jmvotto
02-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Not old school berg, its Wally world.... Lol

Darn kids!

deepcove
02-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Oil and filter from a local auto parts shop. Anything else boat specific such as an impeller from skidim.com.

NCSUmoomba
02-03-2012, 08:41 AM
There is a MC dealer nearby my work, so I usually get stuff there. They have Indmar as well, so it is the same stuff.

bergermaister
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
To clarify....

Cougars are shark bait?

Uh, yeah I suppose so. Or sharks are cougar bait? Hmmmm. Maybe Dusty's mom can chime in here.

ryan_8099
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Anybody have any experience with Globe impellers? They were recommended to us by a good friend and we are looking for the replacement model number. We are a bit concerned with getting enough water pressure from our hose when we run hook up the hose to the water intake, don't want to be burning up the impeller.

Here is what we are running now:
Jabsco 10 Blade Jabsco Impeller Kit
Part #: 81071
Mfg #: 18777-0001-P

Cigars n scotch
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Can I ask why you'd use Shell Rotella for your oil? Just looking for the reasoning, not questioning at all. Or has this been discussed already?

For me I stick with what my manual recommends, Pennzoil 15w-40 marine and PZ-3 (now replaced with PZ-52) only because I don't have brand preference and don't know enough to use something else. skidim.com and Bakes are the two parts suppliers I use. Local auto parts is also used.

Always interested to hear what others are doing.

Sent with my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typos.

brain_rinse
03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Can I ask why you'd use Shell Rotella for your oil? Just looking for the reasoning, not questioning at all. Or has this been discussed already?

For me I stick with what my manual recommends, Pennzoil 15w-40 marine and PZ-3 (now replaced with PZ-52) only because I don't have brand preference and don't know enough to use something else. skidim.com and Bakes are the two parts suppliers I use. Local auto parts is also used.

Here was the most recent discussion: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17323-Oil!-!&highlight=rotella

ryan_8099
03-20-2012, 02:33 PM

We chose it due to the recommendations on the forum (see Brain Rinse's post), it was available locally (walmart) and it was cheap ($26 for 2 gallons)

We ended up going with the Fram PH30 for our oil filter. It was just easier to get at Walmart although I read that some people don't like Fram. I'm sure we will be fine though.

Any info on Globe impellers is much appreciated! :)

viking
03-21-2012, 12:02 AM
being a spring supply thread thought I'd post this up:
skidim.com has a 10% spring parts sale.........
Please enter the promotional code
SPRING
at checkout to receive
10% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER

chawk610
03-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Anybody have any experience with Globe impellers? They were recommended to us by a good friend and we are looking for the replacement model number. We are a bit concerned with getting enough water pressure from our hose when we run hook up the hose to the water intake, don't want to be burning up the impeller.

Here is what we are running now:
Jabsco 10 Blade Jabsco Impeller Kit

Part #: 81071
Mfg #: 18777-0001-P

Put the hose in a large icechest... keep the hose running whie the intake is in it and fire it up...

Cigars n scotch
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Anyone know off the top of their heads if Skidim has replacement fuel filters for our boats? I have 08 Supra 21V, first time i'll be replacing it so I'm not sure where to get it and what to get. Any help is very much appreciated. the dealer I got the boat from gave me a part number and their brand they sell, just wondering if this is an item I can just search for myself for the best deal or try to minimize my calls or online ordering to as few places as I can for spring maintenance.

viking
03-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Anyone know off the top of their heads if Skidim has replacement fuel filters for our boats? I have 08 Supra 21V, first time i'll be replacing it so I'm not sure where to get it and what to get. Any help is very much appreciated. the dealer I got the boat from gave me a part number and their brand they sell, just wondering if this is an item I can just search for myself for the best deal or try to minimize my calls or online ordering to as few places as I can for spring maintenance.

YES! NAPA has them too:
Check this thread...........https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?12994-Fuel-Filter&highlight=fuel+filter

ryan_8099
03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
I just thought I'd throw this out there...we did decide to go with a globe impeller due to the fact that they seem more durable and are rated to run dry for 15 minutes. When we do our oil change in the driveway we were worried about not getting enough water through due to water pressure issues at the cottage. We didn't really want to have to deal with rigging something else up so this was a good alternative. We also had a friend that swears by these and leaves them in for 2 seasons. Yes, a little more expensive, but worth it IMO.

Here is the link to the impeller on bakesmarine with some of the specs (although we did find them cheaper elsewhere online):

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2777

known Compatible Applications:
All Indmar Monsoon Models. 325HP, 330HP, 335HP, 340HP & 350HP
All Indmar Hammerhead Models. Callaway, 380HP & 383-400HP
All Indmar Carbureted, LCR, & 8.1L Engines
All Supra, Moomba, Mastercraft & Tige's with Indmar Engines
Known engine manufactures that use the 09-812 impeller: Alaska Diesel, Ameco Peninsula, Flagship, Indmar, Marine Power, Volvo Penta, Yamaha, Yanmar
Globe 100J Product Specs:
Fits Johnson F6 Pump
Material: Composite Elastomers
Outer Diameter: 2.25"
Shaft Type: Spline Shaft
Width: 1.90"

kaneboats
03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
At some point you can turn into the guy with the 79 pinto with $6,000 rims. This stuff can be overkill for the paranoid so just be careful.

viking
03-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey - I resent that. This is my daily driver!

kaneboats
03-29-2012, 03:32 PM
I rest my case.