PDA

View Full Version : Pump questions

lsvboombox
02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Whats the max water flow you can run thru a 1" hose?

I currently have the reversible pumps but was toying with the idea to replace them with 2 tsunami 1200's on each line... I'm thinking its not worth the hassle to go from 800gph to 1200gph, but if you can double up on pumps so that you can send alot more than 1200 gph to the bags at once I may consider swapping the pumps out. Anybody have any input as to whether you can send 2400 gph thru a 1 inch hose without the pumps getting back pressure?

kaneboats
02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I think there was a chart on all this once. Al?????????

KSmith
02-02-2012, 08:42 AM
http://flexpvc.com/WaterFlowBasedOnPipeSize.shtml

These are somewhat useful. Pressure will probably be your downfall to greater flow rates. I suspect 1200 is nearing the max for the amout of pressure these pumps can generate, then all the connectors/curvature/elbows/values in the lines reduce flow, also vertical lift from water line, etc... All assuming 1 inch lines

You could buy two 1200 pumps, some 1 inch hose, a Y and do some timed bench tests...

kaneboats
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
You know, I think it was Jesse that posted this up a while back. He did timed tests in a simulated environment to show pump and line differences.

bergermaister
02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm curious what size of a bag you want to use two T-1200's to fill? I timed mine and I can fill an 1100 surf sac about 90% full in around 6-7 minutes. For some reason emptying always seems to take longer.

You the impatient type or more going for bragging rights? :cool:

jmvotto
02-02-2012, 02:15 PM
here it is,

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14074-Ballast-Timings-and-comparisons&highlight=fill+times

FWIW, i used two fill pumps from one thru hull into the valves, it only improved fill times when i was doing multiple bags, i was using 3/4 tubing.

kaneboats
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks! Jesse's legacy lives on.

lsvboombox
02-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm curious what size of a bag you want to use two T-1200's to fill? I timed mine and I can fill an 1100 surf sac about 90% full in around 6-7 minutes. For some reason emptying always seems to take longer.

You the impatient type or more going for bragging rights? :cool:

Neither. I live on a hydro electric lake and by the end of the summer our cove gets really low and we frequent the dock alot to pick people up. So it would be nice to quickly empty and fill.

zabooda
02-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I would help you but I have two strikes against me, 1) I'm a skier and I don't use ballast and 2) I'm old so I don't remember crap about fluid mechanics. But I think the big problem may be the size of the inlet if you are running three pumps then the flow is around 1/2 gallon of water a second which would require multiple inlets.

wolfeman131
02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
that sounds like more holes in the boat are required.

lsvboombox
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
The setup i would like to do would be a 1 thru hull with 2 1200 on each thru hull. So in total i would have 3 one inch thru hulls with 2 pumps on each.

bergermaister
02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't have test results or numbers to back it, but I think you will starve two 1200's feeding off a single 1" thru hull. Just not big enough. That is my setup for the rears, and running both pumps at the same time the bags definitely don't fill as fast as they do one at a time. You'd probably have to bump up to a 1.5" thru hull to feed them which is HUGE by comparison. That would get pretty crowded in the bilge area. All the fittings, valves, elbow, etc. really grow in size when you bump up to 1.5". Maybe 1.25" would work.

kaneboats
02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
I think you would be getting about all you could get with 2 of those on each inlet. I know Moombadaze ran 2 of those pumps off a 3/4 inlet. I think he's up to 3 inlets now.

I'm going to a second 3/4" thru hull this season. I have a Rule 2000 (1200 gph) pump sitting in a box. I'm going to dedicate that just to the surf bag and let my other two pumps fill my two 400 bags. I only run about 1550 total and only when I surf so I don't have to go crazy. If I can speed up the fill of the one 750 I run I'm going to do it.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should dedicate 2 of the Rule pumps to the surf bag or leave 2 on the manifold that only fills my 2 400's. I might just grab a Tsunami pump for 4 total on two thru hull inlets.

kaneboats
02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
That was a no brainer. 33 bucks at Wallys.com:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-T1200-Aerator-Pump-12-VDC/14150754

DOCDRS
02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Whats the max water flow you can run thru a 1" hose?

I currently have the reversible pumps but was toying with the idea to replace them with 2 tsunami 1200's on each line... I'm thinking its not worth the hassle to go from 800gph to 1200gph, but if you can double up on pumps so that you can send alot more than 1200 gph to the bags at once I may consider swapping the pumps out. Anybody have any input as to whether you can send 2400 gph thru a 1 inch hose without the pumps getting back pressure?

I have the reversible pump setup and have thought about adding a 1200 just after the inlet port to get a faster fill time. Another idea is to run a line from the opposite side bag pump line to the unused hole on the bag. pProblem is it does nothing to increase emptying speed and may even increase that time as now the reversible pump has to pump thru the 1200 aerator to empty. When I did my flow tests I would get babout 100lbs a minute and I would say the rate speed was probably around 4-6fps which is the low pressure setings. I figure adding a piggyback inline 1200 would increase the flow speed and thus fill rate. But have never got around to installing it. :(

rdlangston13
02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
so the aerator pumps pump faster than the reversible ones?

lsvboombox
02-05-2012, 06:23 PM
so the aerator pumps pump faster than the reversible ones? the reversibles pump around 800 gph.

bergermaister
02-05-2012, 07:35 PM
All depends in their rated flow rates. I think reversibles range 640-720gph.

Aerator pumps T 800= 800gph, 1200 = 120gph. However real world conditions have effect on actual output to the bags...

EDIT:
Posting during the game, sorry! According to: http://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-pumps

Jabsco Reversible - 640
Johnson Reversible - 720
Etc...

kaneboats
02-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Right now I only have the original 3/4" inlet. I have 2 Rule 1200 pumps, one on each side of a "T" going to my manifold. I still have 3/4" line too. I'll tell you my surf bag (750) went from about 15-17 min. to fill down to about 8-9 min. with this change (I also put an Irritrol 700 valve on the surf line at the manifold when I did this mod).

I would do a test run with 2 of these pumps with your 1" setup before you start looking at going larger. I think you will see improved fill times just by adding the second pump.

My plan for this year is to put a Rule pump (I only have one extra one) and a Tsunami 1200 on one side dedicated to the surf bag only. The other side will have the two existing Rule pumps with their only job to fill the front 400 and the under seat 400 on the surf side. I think I'll be under 5 min. to fill everything.

lsvboombox
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM

So what about doubleing up the pumps in this fashion? could be a little pricey to add 3 more jabsco reversible pumps but if it cut fill times to under 10 minutes it would be worth it...

Space could be an issue but was thinking about setting them up in the opposite locker of the surf side on the floor and building a fake floor to cover them... This way my surf side locker would be a bit larger with out the pumps in it......

I guess I would need to alter the plastic engine door as well......

bergermaister
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
B ring
O ut
A nother
T housand

DOCDRS
03-02-2012, 06:24 PM

So what about doubleing up the pumps in this fashion? could be a little pricey to add 3 more jabsco reversible pumps but if it cut fill times to under 10 minutes it would be worth it...

Space could be an issue but was thinking about setting them up in the opposite locker of the surf side on the floor and building a fake floor to cover them... This way my surf side locker would be a bit larger with out the pumps in it......

I guess I would need to alter the plastic engine door as well......

I don't think you will realize the potential of 2 pumps with this set up. They will be competing with each other on the draw side and they will be working against the others pressure on the discharge side especially if you are not using greater than 1" lines.

Just add a diverter line from the opposite side jabsco to the extra bad inlet and it will fill 2x as fast and way cheaper.