PDA

View Full Version : Need to get my trailer fixed

pickle311
01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
As if last year wasn't rough enough on me, it still continues to linger. Beginning of last season I found out my engine block cracked. Took 3 months I think to get it all fixed. 1st outing with the new motor went great. On the way home, the tire on the trailer slung the tread and tore the trailer up pretty bad.
It rolled the fender up, it's done. It broke the weld on the rear step, and busted out the lights on that side. When that happened, I was so pissed I put the boat up and haven't touched it since. My intentions were to fix it this winter and put it up for sale. I put 3 hours and over $7k in my boat last season.
Since then, life has taken a turn. My wife and I separated and are getting a divorce. Me being a man, I'm thinking this will now be the best summer ever on the boat. So it's time to fix up the trailer.
I contact the dealer and they suggest I go direct to boatmate since there's a 5 year warranty on the trailer. Just so happens my boat is about 4 1/2 years old. Contact boatmate and they said they don't cover blowouts, though there's no exclusions in the warranty that I saw.
Anyway, the parts are too bad, I just need to find a welder that can fix up the rear step. Anyone in the Austin area know of any decent welders?

Dang boats. I have a love/hate relationship with this thing. I'm hoping to make up for it this year.

chawk610
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Pickle... sorry to hear of your divorce! I went through it about 5 years ago now. You come out the other side more wise... different, but more wise. I hope it goes as smooth as possible. I know in my case I found a more like minded person... Wife 2.0 :)

bergermaister
01-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry to hear of your luck - boat and otherwise. Boat upgrades and fixes are definitely a good distraction/focus though!

You might check into the industrial truck and trailer parts places in your area. Have one locally here where they sell to mostly the big rigs but also carry a ton of parts for fenders, axles, lighting, and towing gear right down to the utility trailer size. Prices would most likely be very competitive and if they're anything like the ones around here, if they don't do service work in-house, one of the guys who works there may do side jobs or know someone who does. A little bit of asking around goes a long ways!

viking
01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
you're trailer issue sounds alot like mine. I just contacted Boatmate myself and the painted fender with non-skid pad is about $150 not including shipping. I figure a local shop would have that much into straightening my original. The rear step (directly behind the fender) got mangled and pulled up inside the fender. Broke the weld along the edge and pulled inward along with the fender. I'm going to straighten that out myself (or get a friend to do it) and shopping for a welder as we speak. Good luck with your fix - and happy boating this year!!

zabooda
01-31-2012, 02:30 AM
What about your insurance? I had a body shop repair mine when someone ran into it while in the parking lot. It was $1500 but it really looks nice.

viking
01-31-2012, 11:26 PM
I'd have to check but think my deductible is 500. Doubt it would be much more than that to fix?