PDA

View Full Version : Surf tabs

Boonejeepin
01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Has anyone added "surf" tabs to your boats? Would the $$$ be better spent on extra ballast bags?

The concept seems good but I am not sure what the real world impact would be.

lsvboombox
01-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Do a search. Someone here did this. As i recall it was winter and they never posted an update as to how it worked. I would think its more cost effective to use bAgs but if u have the coin it would be a cool upgrade

Boonejeepin
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Seems to be a possible convenience factor. It would be quick to hit a switch vs filling bags. And it saves space.

Although I am a bit skeptical on the real life performance.

jmvotto
01-28-2012, 03:21 PM
It's helps but it does not replace real weight. Buddies mc has them..

bergermaister
01-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Why not both bags and surf tabs? I was scoping them out on an MC at the boat show. I don't think my hull would accommodate them because of the weird back corner lines and recess.

I do recall the thread where it was a blue LSV I believe they had put them on. had to raise or notch the platform for clearance. However they were posting about a customer's boat (not their own) so there was no follow-up details...

viking
01-28-2012, 11:52 PM
somebody on here added them awhile back and was a thread on it. Think it was someone who worked at a dealership if i'm not mistaken??

Boonejeepin
01-29-2012, 12:46 AM
I found the thread in a search but no real input on the performance.

A few must have mods are on the list first but then I might try the surf tabs.

bergermaister
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't have a wakeplate so this seemed like a real possibility if it would be worth it. However the lines on the back corner or edge of my hull just won't work. See how they have kind of an inset groove. Not a lot of good options for mounting tabs...

(swim platform is removed)
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/3d6bb8d8.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/784cbccf.jpg

Are the newer hulls similar to that or more of a square corner?

saskie99
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
I wonder what happened to that boat and if it was a good mod or not??!!

bergermaister
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Quick little vid I found, I know MC boat blah blah blah, but surf wave doesn't look all that great. On the Youtube comments one guy said he has the tabs on his MC and they don't really do much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRra3sMV7A

Here's another link with pics of that blue Moomba from the forum - no details or follow-up still...

http://www.waterskis.com/Surf-Tab-Insallation-s/620.htm

From other forum posts I've read it sounds like you get a little more body roll and the ability to lightly fine tune the wave. But big debate as to whether it is worth the cost to install them or not. Some were saying it makes the boat want to turn and you have to hold it in place more with one side up and one side down.

Guess I'd want to see pics/vid of the "with" and "without". Kind of like we've been wanting to see the Mojo surf wave with/without ballast.

lsvboombox
02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
What about that switchblade setup? A little pricey but that seems like it would add a ton downward force to the behind.

bergermaister
02-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Just talked to the guys who did that Moomba install. Customer boat so they never go to play with it as mentioned before. He said surf tabs will do nothing for size. Said it will help to lengthen out the pocket for a longer sweet spot. And that you actually run the tabs down on the surf side to help shape the wave off the corner of the boat, where most people would think the opposite. (me included) Hmmm.

I've drooled all over the switchblade site before - that's about as close as I'll get to one of those...

wolfeman131
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Kind of like we've been wanting to see the Mojo surf wave with/without ballast.

Patience, Grasshopper.

sandm
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
ask your centurion dealer how many enzo's get ordered as a surf setup with the switchblade and that will answer how it doesn't help the surf wave..

NCSUmoomba
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
My buddy has an X2 with the surf tabs and he is not impressed with them. I think he even stopped using them for surfing. Although he is never satisfied with anything.

wolfeman131
02-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Although he is never satisfied with anything.

Sounds like a typical MC owner.

moombadaze
02-07-2012, 08:36 AM
maybe everyones surf tabs are just to small, imagine a tab that sticks back about the lenght of the swim platform and is about 3 feet wide, have the effect of a longer hull.

Have a quick release at the end of the hydrolic ram to let the tab hang straight down for storage.

thoughts ?

wolfeman131
02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
I think you got into the tequila waaaay to early today.

K10ison
02-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Has anyone added "surf" tabs to your boats? Would the $$$ be better spent on extra ballast bags?

The concept seems good but I am not sure what the real world impact would be.

Found this on the Google

http://www.waterskis.com/Surf-Tab-Insallation-s/620.htm