PDA

View Full Version : Light bars?

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Silly question but those of you who have light bars what is the overall purpose? Do they help you during the clean up at the end of the day (I usually come off the lake after sundown)? I'm looking at throwing some up but not sure what the real purpose is. If its just a cool factor I'm ok with that to, just inquiring about their worth.

Thanks in advance and I accept all the "are you dumb" comments!

NCSUmoomba
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I have one that came on my boat. As I have said in previous posts, it is good for three things:

1. Attracting lots of bugs.
2. Ruining "night vision".
3. Helping get the gear stowed away and cleaned up at the ramp after dark.

bergermaister
01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
If you camp out of your boat and arrive in the dark they can be handy for lighting up the beach. Other than that, as mentioned above plus attracting law enforcement for illegal use.

I took mine off a few years back. Still run at night - haven't missed them.

As for help finding/stowing gear - there are other alternatives for that! :)

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070629.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070627.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070626.jpg

KG's Supra24
01-27-2012, 06:03 PM
I agree with what has been said above.

When night surfing we rarely used ours as it just attracted bugs or unnecessary attention. Way to bright to use for just hanging out. LIGHTS DO NOT HELP YOU SEE BETTER TO DRIVE AT NIGHT.

So, yea, really just cool factor. I had some on my factory speaker bar last year and have no plans of putting up any this year, even though i have looked at them :rolleyes:

wolfeman131
01-27-2012, 06:07 PM
cool factor or tool factor?

kaneboats
01-27-2012, 06:21 PM
That last pic above shows an extremely useful light.

harmsway
01-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Useless when driving at night!

The foward facing lights work great for finding our camp site in the dark and when we pull the boat out at night we turn them on when we are pulling on the boat trailer to guide us.
The rear facing are great for getting ready for late night surfing runs.

sandm
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
thought about buying some a couple of years ago, but couldn't decide what I would really use them for..
boat ramp is very well lit. don't ever ride after dark here as it's an expensive ticket and patrol runs until 2-3am. more wiring to run and more holes to drill in the tower. don't cruise or try to relocate campsite after dark. we usually put the boats up when camping at dinner when the beers really start to flow.. don't need a BUI either :)

btw berg.. are those glass bottles in the cooler??? tsk....

wolfeman131
01-28-2012, 12:04 PM
btw berg.. are those glass bottles in the cooler??? tsk....

High roller. He only drinks the good stuff that doesn't come in a can.

bergermaister
01-28-2012, 08:00 PM
"STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Not too many micro brews come in cans - at least not around here!

jpetty3023
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like just a cool factor thing really so I'll use light bar money on something else that will give me a cool factor. Thanks fellas

Nobodyrides4Free
01-29-2012, 11:54 AM
They come in handy if your loading your boat in the dark. Been at the lake alot and front moves in quick and winds get horrible. Helped me see trailer. Of course riding at dusk or dark they help.

Im with Berg on the brews. Hard to get the good stuff in a can!