PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding above dead people??

Jet
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Not sure if we have spoke about this on here or not?? Ok, my wife freaks out about wakeboarding and surfing at night, it freaks her out because she cant see whats under the water and I always say "Theres nothing down there to worry about" Hope she doesn't see this. lol. This is a lake just south of Dallas called Lake Belton that a few of our wakeboarding friends use and live by. I think Corey even lost a prop and a strut before it got this low. Jet

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/depleted-texas-lakes_2011-11-20?jQuery1327675971750=17

kaneboats
01-27-2012, 11:19 AM
"Local historian Alfred Hallmark, whose great-great-great grandfather helped establish Bluffton, said his research showed 389 graves were moved starting in 1931 when dam construction began."

Don't let her watch this one:

"You only moved the headstones!!!!!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41tO0xwSsco

bergermaister
01-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Ha - now that's the making for a new scary movie!

We have a similar situation up here. They dammed a river back in the 60's to create a reservoir and covered a little town called Kosmos, or what was left of it. Water out there is 100-300ft + though so if we ever see parts of that town start emerging I'd say we're totally screwed.

It's kind of interesting though - one of the launches at a park is the old two lane road. Just heads right into the abyss.

chawk610
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
You're right Berg! In theaters this summer... "Wake of the Dead" :)

KG's Supra24
01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
We have Lake Tenkiller here locally. It was a river turned lake and supposedly most of a town is still under there.

KG's Supra24
01-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Maybe this is an appropriate place for this? It's funny either way ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CY_HGl6W2U

wolfeman131
01-27-2012, 12:08 PM
girls in bikinis are appropriate in almost any thread on this board.

bergermaister
01-27-2012, 12:14 PM
http://www.365horrormovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/zombie-lake-under-water-small.jpg

you da man
01-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Jet - That IS NOT Lake Belton...that IS Lake Buchannan. Cory and I wakeboard together occassionally but almost always will see each other on the water. The article also says that the remains were removed prior to the lake being filled. Most large man-made reseviors will have covered old cemetaries...especially those small rural family ones. They do move the graves. Finding bones/skulls is very rare during extreme droughts but there are unmarked graves or even unknown burial sites. If you drive into the hill country of Texas those very small family or community cemetaries are everywhere it seems. As a small kid I would trespass onto ranchers' properties looking for creeks to fish in and I would come across an individual grave or two with almost no markings or headstone. Most maps of large lakes will show where old cemetaries were. I'm sure Lake Belton has a couple under water as it flooded 5 small communities when it was built.

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
While this article doesn't talk about Belton lake specifically if we don't get more rain soon we may uncover a grave or two

bzubke1
01-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Has the rain brought belton up at all?

you da man
01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Has the rain brought belton up at all?

All that rain you would think it would have came up more than 1ft but that's all. It may creep up a few more inches but out of the 2 small rivers that feed Belton, only one actually had run-off water that made the river flood somewhat to feed the lake.

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 01:37 PM
We are 11.35 feet low according to corp of engineer site. Looks like we're up maybe 5 inches since first part of week. Better than nothing I guess but not by much. Lake Whitney in the future it looks like

rc5695
01-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I really hope y'all's lake gets filled back up.

As for graves, you can go to youtube and search lake jocassee graveyard. People dive down to the old cemetary. Pretty spooky. :)

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks RC, god willing

Jet
01-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Ha..ha..ha..those vids are scary!! I thought it was Belton. sorry. youdaman I didnt know you knew them. Small world man. FB me from coreys friends. Shark in the pool. lmao hows that happen? The filter, its always the filter. lol
AND!! They said they moved them, they always say they moved them.

bzubke1
01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
All that rain you would think it would have came up more than 1ft but that's all. It may creep up a few more inches but out of the 2 small rivers that feed Belton, only one actually had run-off water that made the river flood somewhat to feed the lake.

That stinks how long does it take for you to get to the brazos in waco?

bzubke1
01-27-2012, 02:33 PM
We are 11.35 feet low according to corp of engineer site. Looks like we're up maybe 5 inches since first part of week. Better than nothing I guess but not by much. Lake Whitney in the future it looks like

Looks like whitney has come up some it's only 9.16 feet low as opposed to 15 feet low last week. Whitney is getting a ton of water from granbury upsteam so i bet it will still come up a bit. If you haven't been to the brazos north of lake whitney it is amazing water and great scenery. Definitley add it to your to do list this summer if the water level comes up enough.

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
No I've never been to brazos. Belton lake is like one minute from my house. I keep my boat in storage less than five minutes up the road from my house so I tend to stay close to home just for the convience factor. Waco is a straight shot north on I-35 and only takes about 30-45 minute drive depending on traffic/construction. I'd have to get with AJ to show me the ropes out there, no idea where to launch, ride, etc. I'm planning a trip (or season) on Whitney and will have to check out the brazos to

you da man
01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
That stinks how long does it take for you to get to the brazos in waco?

about an hour

bzubke1
01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm planning a trip (or season) on Whitney and will have to check out the brazos to
or season? idk much about the lake itself but the river portion above the lake is my favorite place to go. it would be an awesome place to spend a season.

bzubke1
01-27-2012, 03:22 PM
about an hour
Do the water conditions make it worth the drive or does belton offer some pretty good water.

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm personally happy with water conditions, ramps, and close proximity. I know the lake well enough to have diffrent launch locations depending on wind, busy vs. calm water, etc. I feel I know it well enuff to make the best of any conditions. With the current level thou it makes launching solo tough and takes a lot of the "no worries" mind set away. I launch during the week a lot with the kids and the wife meets up with us after she gets off work. If the current levels don't improve much by march/April, the week night outings will for sure slow down

Jet
01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
No I've never been to brazos. Belton lake is like one minute from my house. I keep my boat in storage less than five minutes up the road from my house so I tend to stay close to home just for the convience factor. Waco is a straight shot north on I-35 and only takes about 30-45 minute drive depending on traffic/construction. I'd have to get with AJ to show me the ropes out there, no idea where to launch, ride, etc. I'm planning a trip (or season) on Whitney and will have to check out the brazos to

the Brazos makes the top 10 Best list in the waterski and boarding mags yearly. Its my fav spot and I have had 20 yrs growing up there until I moved to far north. I need to plan a trip there this year. jet

bzubke1
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
It's only 6.24 feet low now, I hope it fills up this spring.
@Jet, I've only been there a handful of times but do you think its safe to launch out of hamm creek and ride at 6 feet below normal.

Jet
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Not sure. But I just pull up and look if theres enough water to get out of the cove. But..I have dropped my boat in and walked it out of the there many of times. lol. The in-let part is the shallowest part so idle out. We will have to meet up this year some time.

bzubke1
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
For sure on the meeting up part. I talked to one of the staff there last spring and they said there is a new ramp that goes straight out from the parking lot into the river in addition to the one that goes into the cove.

pickle311
01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I've been wanting to make it up to Brazos for a few years now and haven't. We should all plan a weekend trip out there this summer.

rdlangston13
01-31-2012, 02:28 AM
I've been wanting to make it up to Brazos for a few years now and haven't. We should all plan a weekend trip out there this summer.

We are having the moomba jam again this year at bethy creek on the trinity. Never been to the Brazos but the trinity is glass and we are at full pool now

bzubke1
01-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm hoping to make it down to the trinity this year. For anybody that wants to go to the brazos at tin top anytime this year i'll meet you out there and show you around.