PDA

View Full Version : Boat shop question...

zlloyd1
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
In the planning stages of a new shop at my home for the Moomba and other stuff. Plans are for 26 x 28 with 2 10' wide doors. I know my 05' LS will fit, but I really hope to move to a LSV soon and was wondering if any of you have dimensions of your LSV on the trailer. thanks for any help in advance

you da man
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
I can't remember but you might want to make sure the tips of the racks are not the widest point of the boat/trailer since you are cutting it close with 10' doors. I'd go a little wider if there is a slightly wider door option

deerfield
01-23-2012, 09:47 PM
In the planning stages of a new shop at my home for the Moomba and other stuff. Plans are for 26 x 28 with 2 10' wide doors. I know my 05' LS will fit, but I really hope to move to a LSV soon and was wondering if any of you have dimensions of your LSV on the trailer. thanks for any help in advance

zlloyd1 - I will be at the boat show Thursday and glad to take a tape measure to get the dimensions you need. According to your post, you want the width of the LSV sitting on a trailer. I will also get you the different overall lengths for an LSV sitting on a trailer. Anything else you would like to know from the show? I should have answers and pics for you late Thursday evening or some time on Friday. - Deerfield

KSmith
01-23-2012, 10:17 PM
LSV 102" width on trailer. The boat is 97. 10 foot door leaves probably around 6 inches or so on each side after the door is hung and trimmed. Not impossible by any means but it doesn't leave much wiggle room.

zlloyd1
01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys! I went and measured the doors of the shop were the Moomba currently resides and they are actually about 10 1/2 feet so that leaves me plenty of room, the doors are gonna be ab 8 ft high so I am plenty good there with my current boat but I was wondering about the height of new fold down towers. Also what is the total overall length on the trailer? If I'm not lucky enough to find one with a swing-a-way tongue and don't want to take the platform off everytime or be really close to the rear wall. And Deerfield any info you have will be greatly appreciated!

mmandley
01-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys! I went and measured the doors of the shop were the Moomba currently resides and they are actually about 10 1/2 feet so that leaves me plenty of room, the doors are gonna be ab 8 ft high so I am plenty good there with my current boat but I was wondering about the height of new fold down towers. Also what is the total overall length on the trailer? If I'm not lucky enough to find one with a swing-a-way tongue and don't want to take the platform off everytime or be really close to the rear wall. And Deerfield any info you have will be greatly appreciated!

I have 8ft doors on my house and i have to fold the tower to get it in the garage. My Cieling is 9.6 feet and i cant put the tower up. The wake board pylon is in the way, debatting cutting the cieling and building a spot to allow the tower to fold up.

As for length with a folding tongue its 22.5ft long. My last house was a 23 ft garage and it barley fits with the wake plate and tongue folded but it fits.

New garage is 27ft deep and there room now for my FAE exhaust and we have a side ways faceing door thats 3ft wide. The boat doesnt interier with it. Im not positive on the length of the folding tongue but i think its right about 2.5ft so the entire boat without a swm deck is 25ft and with a swim deck 28ft.

Basicay a generic measurement is most of the boats with a folding tongue are 2ft longer on the trailer then the boat its self, swim decks are apx 3 ft on the boat. Folding tongue is 2.5 to 3 feet.

Other wise best option is goto a dealer with a measuring tape lol.

sandm
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
if you are building the shop from the ground up and are using wood, use 10ft studs. more expensive, but in the end, you can put the tower up on almost any boat. my last garage used 10ft studs and with the footings, you are almost 11ft from concrete to drywall. I know that my cousins tige 22ve in the same garage would cause the pylon light to just barely hit the drywall, but 11ft studs get a lot more expensive. you could also add another plate on the bottom/top of the walls to get you to almost 11.5ft.

just thinking to plan for ANY future boat purchase..

zlloyd1
01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
We are building from the ground up already plan to use 10 ft studs, and I definitely want it big enough for any future purchase, although a 21-22 ft boat is plenty big enough for my regular crew and the small lakes and rivers here locally

kaneboats
01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Where do you ride in Waycross? I was up there last month to buy a car from Buddy.

sandm
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
put an extra plate or 2 on the bottom/top to get the extra height for taller towers. if you buy a new towboat in the future, I don't see towers getting smaller nor boats getting shallower freeboard. that way you are set for anything.
cheaper to do an extra plate than buy taller studs in most cases..

wolfeman131
01-24-2012, 06:47 PM
cheaper to do an extra plate than buy taller studs in most cases..

If the plate is from the Golden Corral, those are Dusty's Mom's "words to live by."

KG's Supra24
01-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Bam! You know she loves some golden corral

... and if she isn't stuffing her mouth with that .....

jpetty3023
01-24-2012, 06:56 PM
If there is any way possible to build your garage door tall enough that you don't have to fold the tower down each time it may be well worth the extra investment. I don't know how feasible that would be cost wise but well worth it as far as comfort wise. I went from having to fold the tower each time I put my lsv up to a storage unit tall enough that I don't have to fold it now. Llife has been so much easier since. Especially if you have/or will add tower speakers. Makes life so much easier, specially if it's our own place and you don't have to pay monthly!

jmb
01-24-2012, 08:13 PM
I showed what my shop looks like. Nuf said

h20boy22
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
What is the "standard height" for the tower height with boat on trailer. I realize that there are a lot of variables but if you were making the garage door generic for any wakeboard boat would 10 feet be tall enough or would it need to be 12 feet tall?

KG's Supra24
01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
I agree completely with jpetty. I rent from a place that has tall enough doors and haven't had to deal with it but I can imagine it being a huge pain bc right now I can drop off in/out in 5 minutes top.

I think 12 would be a more "generally" accepted height. I've heard of guys having to drop air pressure or using multiple hitches etc on 10 ft doors.

Dusty? I think he has had his in a 10 ft door (insert joke)...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

zlloyd1
01-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Really wish I could put a 12 ft high door in, or better yet 2 12' doors on each end so I could pull through but yard space won't allow for both and the way things are planned out so far a 12' door isnt all that feasible. This is my first house and bought out of foreclosure for cheap by my wife and I with all intentions of selling (for a nice profit!) and building within 5-7 years, and when we do I will have the shop of my choice to the letter! Also dumb code restrictions for the area have already gotten in the way of preferred placement and size.
@Kane - we ride a lot in a small (-150 acres) state park lake about 7 or 8 miles out of town and also the st. Mary's river is a 40 minute drive max to the 'good' ramp. Not exactly world class wakeboarding spots but they are wet! And where is buddy located at here?

harmsway
01-24-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm with jpetty being able to pull the boat in and out of the shop with out having to deal with the tower makes it so much esaier to get ready. The quicker you can get the boat ready the more water time you have. I went with a 12'x12' door for my boat entrance and 14'x16' door for our camper, but everyone don't have the ability to build as big as they would like because HOA restrictions.
Build as big as you can you can't never have enough garage space and more square footage is cheaper the 1st time around.

kaneboats
01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
@Kane - we ride a lot in a small (-150 acres) state park lake about 7 or 8 miles out of town and also the st. Mary's river is a 40 minute drive max to the 'good' ramp. Not exactly world class wakeboarding spots but they are wet! And where is buddy located at here?

I was half joking but found my daughter a convertible at Buddy's Auto Sales in Waycross. Small lot, not surprised you hadn't heard of it. Hope to see you at the annual Flint River Jam in Bainbridge, GA this year.

zlloyd1
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Haha actually realized were it was today. I really hope to make the Jam this year for at least a day. We are in the pool business here and long weekends are scarce during those months.

wolfeman131
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
hmmmm . . .

A lakeside pool sounds nice. Might need to cut down some more trees.

zlloyd1
01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
We can hook ya up Wolfe! Might take a couple weeks to build that one! A couple pulls a day should get me through tho!

deerfield
01-25-2012, 11:59 PM
zlloyd1 - Well, I am going to disappoint you. Not a single Skiers Choice boat was sitting on a trailer at the Milwaukee show. All boats were resting on blocks, getting them closer to the ground and customer. So, cannot give you any length, width, or height measurements of an LSV on a trailer. Sorry about that. I did take pictures of boats, so will go ahead and post them here in your thread. Hope that's okay.

First pics are the new Moomba Mojo in black and red, followed by a black and red Tige.

deerfield
01-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Then, took pictures of the new tower configuration on the Outback. As you can see, it mounts about 48 inches to the rear of the tow pylon. Guys earlier commented about it interfering with short line skiing. Came home and compared it to the Rade-a-Cage mounting position on my Outback. Big, big difference. You can pull short line completely perpendicular with no interference with the Rad-a-Cage. But I do like the look of the new tower.

deerfield
01-26-2012, 12:12 AM
Then, came across this v-drive MasterCraft with a tow pylon pretty much located where you would find it in a conventional direct drive ski boat.

deerfield
01-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Next up is the Axis. Heard guys talk about it, so took a few pics. Don't care for the white tower. Don't care for the tower design, either.

deerfield
01-26-2012, 12:22 AM
Last, two high-end boats. First is the Super Air Nautique. Second, Malibu's Wake Setter. I'm a skier, so they don't have that much appeal to me, but they are nice looking. And expensive.

mmandley
01-26-2012, 09:30 AM
zlloyd1 - Well, I am going to disappoint you. Not a single Skiers Choice boat was sitting on a trailer at the Milwaukee show. All boats were resting on blocks, getting them closer to the ground and customer. So, cannot give you any length, width, or height measurements of an LSV on a trailer. Sorry about that. I did take pictures of boats, so will go ahead and post them here in your thread. Hope that's okay.

First pics are the new Moomba Mojo in black and red, followed by a black and red Tige.

Dofferent color scheme but thats the exact Tige we would by if we upgraded to one. Its shaweet.

ryan_8099
01-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Deerfield, what did they all have for SC boats there? Trying to decide if it will be worth it for the 6+ hour drive in one day. Is that a Nautique 210 or 230? Any X-Stars? (I just want to see much I dislike in person) Did they have a Malibu MXZ?

deerfield
01-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Ryan – SC boats at the Milwaukee show include one Outback (sharp lookin’ in black and white w/ new tower). SC also has the new Mojo and I’m guessing a half dozen other v-drive models, Supra and Moomba combined. There are a number of MasterCraft v-drive boats. Since I’m not a wakeboard guy, did not pay attention to which models. Looking back through my pictures from last night I see what appear to be an X15, 14v, X35? Not sure about the v-drive Nautique models either, as I really focus on the direct drive stuff. Additional pictures of MasterCraft and Malibu boats are below. Unlike prior years, the show this year has no vendor booths or displays in the hallways. This year everything fits in the main exhibit hall. Parking is $5. Ticket is $9 for an adult. Not sure about cost of kid’s ticket. Brat, hot dog, pickle, and two sodas totaled $15. Roundtrip distance for me was 140 miles. Stayed for 2 ½ hours. Glad I went. To make the six-hour drive a more worthwhile trip, maybe find something to do in Milwaukee? - Stuart

deerfield
01-26-2012, 03:19 PM
and these last two pics.