PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel

SoTX
06-02-2005, 04:58 PM
My steering wheel is no longer in the correct possition when going straight. (does that make sence?) You know when the steering wheel is in the going straight position my boat is turning right......
You know the little kangaroo is straight up.
Any way my steering wheel is 1/4 yurn out of whack.
How can I fix this?
What causes this?
Can I fix it my self?

Any input is appreciated

smokedog2
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
This was discussed just a few weeks ago, in summary - prop spin, waves, current, wind, boat weight distribution, etc. all can be compensated with a little rudder.

The fish on my Lund is not straight either.

Besides, if you are driving what the heck are you doing looking at the wheel anyway.

You could line up the wheel and look at the keel on the trailer if you want to feel better or fuss with the cable - not recommended.

SD2

MEDIC151
06-04-2005, 09:00 AM
There is an easy way to fix this. I had this when I replaced my steering cable. Under the dash there is a rack that is mounted on the end of the steering wheel shaft. I don't remember the size of the socket but there are 4 bolts on the rack that hold it to the shaft. Get on the water and get the boat going straight. Remember to watch for the wind, weight, waves and such. Once you are done with that, kill the motor and loosen the 4 bolts. You can lift the rack off the shaft and have someone move the steering wheel back to center. Put the rack back on and tighten the bolts.

It will probably be off alittle as was mine because the teeth didn't line up exactly but it got rid of the 1/4 turn issue I had. Once out of the water look at the rudder with the wheel straight and you will see how much you have to compensate for the prop spin. It was quite the revelation to me. When I did this to mine, it took about 2 minutes to fix. Hope that isn't too confusing and if anyone knows a better way let me know.

Medic

SoTX
06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
Thanks

Brian Raymond
06-06-2005, 11:15 PM
The steering wheel is mounted on a splined shaft. It is set straight at the factory lake site. This is done at 3500 rpm. (mostly used cruising speed). Throughout the years and useage, the steering cable will stretch, (same as throttle and shift cables, which will also need adj. in time). You can adj. the wheel to preffered speeds, remove the center cap of the steering wheel, use a 3/4" socket and ratchet and loosen the nut to the last 2 threads. This will enable you to grasp the wheel and tug towards you, (by leaving the nut on, it will keep you from tugging and flying into the backseat when it comes off). Set your wheel to your desired comfort, install and tighten the nut, and replace the center cap. I have found that when a desired center point for the wheel is found, note the wheels bottom spoke pos. Ex., when idling (and that is your desired ctr. pt.), the bottom spoke is at 8 o'clock pos., loosen the nut and set the spoke at 6 o'clock. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond

fdawg
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
i love this forum for this very reason -someone has the same problem as me!

we got our 04 mobius lsv and it tracked DEAD CENTER...a few rides later and the wheel is off 1/4 of a turn, even thought the fin is straight when the wheel is centered.

it's driving me nuts.

the water is calm, the wind isn't blowing.