PDA

View Full Version : Surf+ Wakesurf Platform

mattyg06
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I was looking at the new website and they listed the Surf+ platform as an option for the new Mojo. Has anyone seen this in person? Is it supposed to be smaller or smooth on the underside? Can this be retrofitted to last years XLV? If it helps shape the wave maybe worth to add to ours.

lsvboombox
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Check out the mojo threads. It does have a smooth underbelly, its smaller and it can be used on the xlv.

It doesnt shape your wave

KG's Supra24
01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/ericnelknox/IMG_0029.jpg

wolfeman131
01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
It doesnt shape your wave

I thought I posted a video? If I didn't, I can/will.

IMO, I thought it did help to improve the surf wave I that the wave formed sooner, looked cleaner and had a longer pocket. Now, I wasnt able to do back to back or side by side comparisons and the video I shot was from a Mojo so I can't compare to an LSV or OBV that I have surfed with the standard platform.

It can be used on an XLV, but may require repositioning of the mounting brackets. I know that for an 04 XLV, the brackets on the transom are set further apart.

lsvboombox
01-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I run close to 4k of ballast and never had a problem with my swimplatform touching the wake. If they claim that this swimplatform will shape your wake they are smoking crack. I can understand thats its smaller therefore it has less chance of touching the water.

I would like to see vid. Iu may posted but i havent located it

Correction these thoughts are related to and lsv. Maybe i am wrong for the mojo.

I would be skeptical about it shaping the wave for and x Lv as well

wolfeman131
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Try here. Post #13

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16949-Mojo-First-Ride/page2

Sorry, on an airplane & working from iPad.

Tried to get more video yesterday but it was too cold and raining. I'll try again later this week when I get back to the ATL.

wolfeman131
01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I think your correct in that it will be less of actually "shaping" the wave and more of getting the platform out of the way. I also think the smooth/filled in bottom will help. But, I've never complained about the wave when surfing behind moombadaze or kaneboats LSV's with the standard platform. And 4k in ballast!?!? I need to plan a "business" trip your way this summer! I'll bring the chips & beer.

dusty2221
01-23-2012, 12:03 PM
I run about 3200 each time we surf, the platform on the Supra 24 is angled, but it still eats pretty hard into the wave. Only real way I see to eliminate the problem for us is to space the platform about 4" higher than where the brackets are.

mattyg06
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Our XLV actually has a 2011 hull so not sure if repostioning of the brackets would be required. When we surf we usually run 4100 lbs plus people and from what i remember last summer it dig pretty deep. I would think as long as it is several inches more narrow it wouldn't put the 'lip' on the face of the wave which would be a huge benefit in my mind.

lsvboombox
01-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I think your correct in that it will be less of actually "shaping" the wave and more of getting the platform out of the way. I also think the smooth/filled in bottom will help. But, I've never complained about the wave when surfing behind moombadaze or kaneboats LSV's with the standard platform. And 4k in ballast!?!? I need to plan a "business" trip your way this summer! I'll bring the chips & beer.

If u ever go to berwick pa my lake is under 2 hrs awAy.

you da man
01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
I ran 3400-3800 when I had my '08 XLV and the platform did cut into the wake. I'm sure this platform would help but to what extent none of us knows because I think you'd be the first to put one on an XLV. You can do a simple test...just remove your stock platform and see what the wake looks like without it then decide if it's worth the money to upgrade.

wolfeman131
01-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Just landed in Philly. What's up with the white stuff on the ground here?

Will be in Berwick tonight, but heading back to the ATL tomorrow.

mattyg06
01-23-2012, 05:07 PM
You da man, you maybe right. Last summer was the first to have the boat so I dont remember 100%, I maybe thinking of our old malibu which did like crazy. I have a call into a local dealer to talk to him about it.

lsvboombox
01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I think wolf said its about a 1,000 dollar upgrade

zabooda
01-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I can't imagine that the water displaced by the platform would have much of an effect on the wake because of the much larger displacement from the boat. I could see the inconvenience of the spray and the stress on the platform. If the platform does alter the wake then you have turned your platform into an extended stern and I'm surprised there aren't more discussions on the failures of the mounting and fiberglass.

mattyg06
01-23-2012, 06:03 PM
From what I remember last summer the platform doesnt have much of an effect on the overall shape but it cant put a line or lip right down the face of the wave. The reason I dont think you have the stresses is even though it may drag the water it wouldn't be 'extended stern' because the platform sits above the transom and has less pressure on it. We did actually have our mounting brackets pull from the boat at the end of the summer but I think that was due to the fact that we had to many people sitting on the back of the boat.

sandm
01-23-2012, 06:10 PM
granted different boats, but iirc, ragboy did a ton of work on platforms on his old 24ve. removing the platform was not good for the wake at all. he was looking to do exactly what the mojo did-smaller, different shape at the back and smooth along the entire bottom..

jmvotto
01-23-2012, 11:32 PM

Drew if you come we will do a northeast Moomba mini jam.... Whoo hoo

mnpracing
01-24-2012, 06:05 PM
I just got quoted $1,200 from a dealer in MN for the surf platform.

KG's Supra24
01-24-2012, 06:09 PM
At that price, I'd bet 2 real nice surfboards would make surfing more fun than the platform would ... just my opinion of course.

kaneboats
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm with you. Although I may try to fill the lip of my platform with some foam this year.

DOCDRS
01-25-2012, 10:44 AM
If you price it out , it is a $200 upgrade. That is on top of the cost of the oem one. fyi

mattyg06
01-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Ok, just got off the phone with dealer and here is his take. It is a more 'stylish' option over functional. The platform is smooth but shouldn't shape wave too much. He said they made it longer back from the boat which would help with platform starts and stops. He didn't recommend as any type of performance upgrade. I agree about the 2 surf boards, but bought an Inland surfer Virus last year and will get the Sweet Spot pro this year.

wolfeman131
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
If you price it out , it is a $200 upgrade. That is on top of the cost of the oem one. fyi

Yes, that is correct although it is listed @ $250 on the purchase agreement form I have from the show. I think that is very reasonable when you consider the entire bottom has been glassed in and a stainless rubrail goes around the lip like on the Supra platforms.

I'm not sure I agree with the dealer that states it is a style vs function upgrade. I need to get two similar boats out with the different platforms for a side by side comparison.

mattyg06
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Wolfeman, I think the only way to get a good comparison would be to use the same boat with the differently platforms. I hope your right about function, but since Moomba doesn't have any comparison pictures from the factory testing or boat photo shoots I think the dealer may have a point.

KG's Supra24
01-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I have surfed mine with platform and without platform with no discernable difference to me

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Right, I should have said two of the same model boats with the different platforms for comparison.

I am guessing that for those that really weight down their boats, there will be a benefit as the "corner" of the platform is cut down and therefore not cutting into the wave as it is forming. I think both lsvboombax, Dusty & KG mentioned this previously.

wolfeman131
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
OK, got the skinny direct from a SC engineer . . .

The dealer isn't correct in their assessment. The first priority of the platform is function not style. The platform is shaped so that it stays clear of the water flow to create a clean surf wake. A regular platform will drag in the water and create a “trailer” in the surf wake, typically right in the sweet spot.

I am planning to demo a Mojo this coming weekend and will try to get some extra weight in the boat and use my new GoPro camera!

KSmith
01-25-2012, 06:13 PM
So no active wake "shaping", it's main form/function is to just keep out of the way. Got it!

bergermaister
01-25-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm with you. Although I may try to fill the lip of my platform with some foam this year.

Been toying with trying that too as I can see mine digging in and even throwing up a little rooster tail when I'm surfing behind it. Any thoughts as to what you would use or how to go about it?

lsvboombox
01-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Been toying with trying that too as I can see mine digging in and even throwing up a little rooster tail when I'm surfing behind it. Any thoughts as to what you would use or how to go about it?

I thought someone on here did this mod? They posted a tutorial i thought

KSmith
01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I thought someone on here did this mod? They posted a tutorial i thought

Quite right.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?14346-Surf-Mod

mattyg06
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Ok, trying to get this right. The platform is designed to get out of the way and nothing more. So the above platform mod of smoothing the bottom wouldn't have the desired effect? It would have been better to fill the platform in for strength possibly first and then just cut off the portion that is dragging?

Just to complicate things more. On the tab for Mojo interior features it lists a 'large sundeck' which looks like a half moon which runs the width of the boat. Then for Mojo under boat specs shows a black platform with half moon shape also but only runs like 2/3 the width of the boat.

It seems like the new designed shape , semi circle, of the 'large sundeck' could possibly have fixed the problem of the rectangular platform without the need for a more 'narrow' surf+ platform.

wolfeman131
01-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I think you're getting sundeck & surf platform confused. The sundeck is the padded panels over the engine and rear lockers.

Filling in the platform will allow the water to flow more smoothly out from under it and eliminate the "rooster tail" spray that Berg mentioned. The angled design of the surf platform cuts off the "corner" of the traditional platform that digs into the wave when heavily loaded. Being filled in solves the issue noted above. The chrome rail makes it look good.

mattyg06
01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
I know the difference between the 2. If you click on the interior features for the Mojo there is a 'red star' over the platform that is labeled 'large sundeck'. Is that the surf platform? Or is the surf platform the narrow platform in the photo for Mojo boat specs that is taken from directly overhead view on the black and white boat?

If the platform 'gets out of the way', then why would it need to be smooth?

mattyg06
01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Although they should make a 'surf' sundeck like the malibu's with the rear facing seat, just at some kind of restraint to make it useful while underway.

lsvboombox
01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
If the platform 'gets out of the way', then why would it need to be smooth?

Exactly, i cant imagine the surf platform touching the water shaped the way it is.

When you look at the overhead shot of the mojo in the spec section u can see the surf deck and there is barely anything there.

mattyg06
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks lsvboombox, that is sort of what I thought. Now why do they need 3 different platforms? Large semi circle, surf platform, and standard rectangle.

wolfeman131
01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Yes, I checked the website and understand the confusion. That is the surf platform not the sundeck. I think everything is labeled correctly in the brochure picture below. Sorry about the scan quality; the glossy paper didn't work out too well.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Mojo/01-26-2012020506PM.jpg

mattyg06
01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Ok, I thought I would clear up confusion that I know will happen so I posted the pictures that led to this thread. The first is their new redesigned platform on the Mojo. The next 2 show the Mojo with the 'surf' platform visibly more narrow, the final one is the 'standard' rectangle.

KG's Supra24
01-26-2012, 03:25 PM
So you are thinking there are 3 platforms? I was under the impression that the first pic you posted was the surf platform and the last pic you posted was the regular. The middle 2 pics are computer generated and not done to scale, right?

I have posted pics of the two side by side ....

http://diamondlakeswatersports.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/platforms.jpg?w=950

An additional photo showing how it compares to beam ...

http://diamondlakeswatersports.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/hull-depth.jpg?w=950

mattyg06
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
If the 2 overhead shots are generated what would make everything more clear. I just thought from the pic lsvboombox posted and the overhead shots look like the 'surf' platform was considerably more narrow than the beam. But from the pic you posted I guess not they are one in the same. Just seems a little odd that Moomba messes up advertising their brand new state of the art 'surf' platform.

Doesn't Mojo 2.5 sound a little deceiving? I was sort of expecting a 25' boat. I am sure they were shortening 22.5 but still.

Boonejeepin
01-26-2012, 09:23 PM
What do you guys think about glassing in some mounting blocks to the bottom of the current deck so you can then attach a thin plastic "cover panel" to the bottom, fill in the seams with 3m 5300 and paint if desired?

It does not keep the platform out of the way but removes the lip from the picture.

jpetty3023
01-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Someone has done a mod similar to what your talking about Boone if my memory serves me right? Either have done it or done a lot of research and was talking about doing it

kaneboats
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
What do you guys think about glassing in some mounting blocks to the bottom of the current deck so you can then attach a thin plastic "cover panel" to the bottom, fill in the seams with 3m 5300 and paint if desired?

It does not keep the platform out of the way but removes the lip from the picture.

Look at post #32 above (you have to go back a page or two). There is a link to Todd's mod on this. I think I'm going to do something similar but not as involved (try some spray foam I think as I want to add as little weight as possible).

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm sure you'll share progress with this DIY Kane? I'm interested to see how it comes out and if easy enought give mine a run

kaneboats
01-27-2012, 01:24 PM
I don't know. I don't hang out here too much.

jpetty3023
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
True, you only have 6500+ posts, what was I thinking..haha

Jeepers
09-17-2015, 01:08 AM
I can order the Wakesurf platform from a local shop I work with for $515.57 for the platform and $210.08 for the pad + freight. Any color. Use your existing platform brackets to save a few bucks. I ordered the platform today. Let me know if you want the guy's name. His mark up is very reasonable.