PDA

View Full Version : Trailor Question

stang67
06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Are the brakes on the trailor used during normal driving or only for break away?
Looking at the 5way flat to 7 way round trailor connnector i realized that there is a prong missing where the electric brakes should be. Any Ideas?

smokedog2
06-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Which prong which side? The flat 4 adaptor has l, r, tail and ground, no brake.

Flat five has a brake. Sounds like you have a flat 4 which you should not use.

You do use the trailer brakes on the road. I have a Suburban and woudl not run without it.

SD2

silverski
06-02-2005, 01:50 PM
The brakes do work all of the time. However, they are not electric brakes but just surge brakes. They are activated when you brake your vehicle which puts pressure on the hitch that activates the brakes.

The 7 wire assembly from you vehicle includes the ability for electric brakes but that does not apply to this trailer. That is why they only use the 5 prong plug. The 5th prong actually is linked to your reverse lights that sends a message to the trailer to dissengage the surge brakes to allow you to back up.

I think that is what you are looking for.

06-02-2005, 01:50 PM
I see what you all are talking about. I do have the 5 flat. Just wondering because i have a break controller and other trailors i tow with breaks (ATV's) show up on the break controller. Nothing from the moomba trailor though. I do feel the the trailor pulling away from the stoplight. Thanks for the help. I may just consult my local hitch and trailor store.

smokedog2
06-02-2005, 02:03 PM
oops Silverski is correct.

I was unable to find a hole in the ground today (went lookng for it twice). I think I will just call it a day.

SD2

06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the help, i figured they were only surge breaks but i wish they were regular brakes. Any way to convert?

stang67
06-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the help. I well now its cleared up they are only surge brakes, why this design? Any way to convert to regular brakes?

james yarosz
06-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Electric brakes tend not to work well on boat trailers.(too much getting wet).The surge disc brakes on my 03 Outback LS trailer are the best I've ever had.

mobiusLSV05
06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
No problems with my new trailer either, its a single axle, was a little skeptical at first, but this is by far the easiest trailer Ive ever pulled.