PDA

View Full Version : gas prices this summer

sandm
01-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Got me thinking yesterday about the price of gas. filled up the pickup in the morning otw to work and paid $2.93/gal. when I went by going out to dinner last night, price was up to $3.04. amazing jump in 12 hours.

thought it would be interesting to post up what you are paying currently(along with octane grade for those that use premium) and where you think gas will be this summer.....
not to exclude mmandly, but let's stick to gas, not diesel :)

I use 85/87, whatever's at the pump- paid $2.93 last fillup.
I see 89 midgrade for the boat at $3.55 mid-summer and $4.05 at the marina...

jmvotto
01-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Dang we were at 3.43 last week , now its 3.65

moombadaze
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
3.39 this morning for regular

mmandley
01-17-2012, 09:09 PM
not to exclude mmandly, but let's stick to gas, not diesel :)

I use 85/87, whatever's at the pump- paid $2.93 last fillup.
I see 89 midgrade for the boat at $3.55 mid-summer and $4.05 at the marina...

Dammit man LOL
Ill have to look but i think Gas is around 3.65 here. Come June i expect it to be 3.85
Diesel is just as important really because i gotta get the boat to the water LOL. 3.84 June 3.99

kaneboats
01-17-2012, 10:49 PM
$3.35 about an hour ago. I think it will be around $3.50 here this summer. It's an election year.

wolfeman131
01-17-2012, 11:43 PM
It's an election year.

My bet is the current administration will try and manipulate the market to drive the price of regular gasoline close to the $3.00 level prior to the election.

A year ago, gas in GA averaged $3.02 and last week it was $3.35. This is a fun site to check the facts:

http://zfacts.com/p/35.html

bergermaister
01-18-2012, 01:23 AM
$3.38 for 87 yesterday when I stopped. Hope it stays under $4 this summer so we don't all go broke following our passions. $3/gal would be great!

mmandley
01-18-2012, 01:28 AM
I think i recall a thread simular to this last year or the year before talking about fuel prices when they were around 4 a gallon in most places. The best thing about last summer when i was paying 3.90 a gallon is that so few boats were always out. LOL. Raise the fuel price a little and more weekenders stay home. Raise it a little more and only the serious riders will be on the water LOL.

Eigher way the boat Fuel budget is already at 1200 and i still got 3 to 4 months to keep throwing change in there lol.

rdlangston13
01-18-2012, 03:03 AM
3.29 +/- 10 cents for 87 here in Houston, TX. Since we pretty much make all the gas here we should get it super cheap...

chawk610
01-18-2012, 08:37 AM
3.15 - 3.30 Fluxuates daily. I bet we are around 3.30 - 3.45 for the summer.

DOCDRS
01-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Quit your complaining guys. Right now we are sitting at 4.54 a gallon, for the summer we are going to pay from a low of 4.24(unlikely) to a high of 4.92 or more. Our prices fluctuate 15 to 20 cents from day to day routinely. That is the at city pump 87 octane price. The Marina by the balls number is much higher.

rc5695
01-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Ouch for Canada... :(

We're at $3.15-$3.25/gal for 87... I don't think it will change much for the summer...

Anybody else think it is highway robbery to charge you $.08/gallon more for using your credit card? That's what a lot of places around here do now. There are still a couple that don't charge anything, but most charge significanty more :(

zabooda
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
On the news they expect gas to be $5 a gallon by Memorial day.

mmandley
01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
On the news they expect gas to be $5 a gallon by Memorial day.

Dude shut up are you serious? That means Diesel will be almost 6 a gallon.

Thats almost 200 a tank in the rig and 150 a day in the boat.

My fuel budget isnt going to last to long at those rates...

Mikey
01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
I almost have to laugh as Doctors mentioned. You guys get in a flap if a Gallon goes up .10 a gallon. We commonly see prices fluctuate + - .10 a Litre from day to day.. .. One US Gallon = 3.78 Litres. Our prices are at about 1.07 a litre at the moment. As mentioned also Water gas is usually .25 a litre or more than on land.

Shitty part for some of us is ,Most of the gas you are likely using comes from HERE!!!!

viking
01-28-2012, 11:50 PM
$3.199 today when I filled up our Denali with Premium. I was amazed (it was so low).
I fill my duramax regularly and don't look at regular gas and realized it cost about 30% more to fill it last summer. I could get used to these prices if they would just stick around. Ha Ha, good luck with that :)

rdlangston13
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Every year they predict 5 dollar gas prices and it never happens. It's an election so no matter how much Obama wants to rape the American public for using oil he won't allow it to get that high because it would seriously hurt his voting base.

jpetty3023
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
That's a very good point David. Now only if the prez wouldn't have shut down the pipeline we might would have not had to worry about prices for some time

rdlangston13
01-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Well hopefully he doesn't get re elected. I wonder how many of his people in his voting base that are not in the top 1% are better off now than they were 4 years ago

jpetty3023
01-30-2012, 05:40 PM
I willing to bet ZERO, just like the rest of us

KG's Supra24
01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
http://checksandbalancesproject.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/untitled1.png

"Domestic crude oil production is higher now under President Obama than when President Bush left office."

"Oil and gas activity is back to pre-recession levels and actually nearing a 20-year high. In fact, there are more active drill rigs in the United States than all other countries combined."

"The Wall Street Journal reported that energy jobs are at a 20-year high and that industry is actually worried about a shortage of skilled workers."

I don't want to get any type of political battle started here but I just wanted to share some factual tidbits on the topic. I don't bring these up in support of Obama. I bring these up because one of my biggest pet peeves with our country's situation is the media and it being controlled by outside influence. They have way more to do with what people believe than people would admit. Just check out each of the news coverages after a big event. The following day, I bet you can tell who watched fox news! :rolleyes:

And to top it off, Nancy Grace was on the TV this morning when I was leaving. SMH.

EDIT: Yes, I'm sure you can find sources that discredit the quotes, which goes back to my point, there is little to no credible source these days.

viking
01-30-2012, 08:56 PM
The media sucks $SS

jpetty3023
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
Gas prices suck to. Little jump over night, paid 3.45 this am for low grade (87). I know that cheap compare to some places but high for this time of year near my casa

bzubke1
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
It's weird oil prices went down yesterday but gas went up like 10-15 cents throughout the day.

kaneboats
01-31-2012, 12:14 PM
It's always very quick to go up at the pump in response to middle east issues even though its price was set long ago. Then it sure takes a while to go back down.

rdlangston13
02-01-2012, 04:22 PM
http://checksandbalancesproject.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/untitled1.png

"Domestic crude oil production is higher now under President Obama than when President Bush left office."

"Oil and gas activity is back to pre-recession levels and actually nearing a 20-year high. In fact, there are more active drill rigs in the United States than all other countries combined."

"The Wall Street Journal reported that energy jobs are at a 20-year high and that industry is actually worried about a shortage of skilled workers."

I don't want to get any type of political battle started here but I just wanted to share some factual tidbits on the topic. I don't bring these up in support of Obama. I bring these up because one of my biggest pet peeves with our country's situation is the media and it being controlled by outside influence. They have way more to do with what people believe than people would admit. Just check out each of the news coverages after a big event. The following day, I bet you can tell who watched fox news! :rolleyes:

And to top it off, Nancy Grace was on the TV this morning when I was leaving. SMH.

EDIT: Yes, I'm sure you can find sources that discredit the quotes, which goes back to my point, there is little to no credible source these days.

when bush left office oil was about 30 bucks a barrel, non of the oil companies could afford to do anything thus they slowed production down. I remember buying gas in the dec of 2008 that was 1.24 a gallon.

There has been a HUGE spike in NG activity all over north america due to new fracking technology making gas that was once out of reach now easily available. Hopefully the politicians will see the benefit of this and incorporate it into a new energy policy.

Right now tensions with IRAN are driving prices up. as soon as something gets figured out over there the prices should go down, we currently have a surplus so there is not a shortage as we are still in recovery mode from the recession.

the energy industry is one of the few where a high school graduate can work themselves up to 200k+ by retirement but even it is being infiltrated by the "need a degree" mentality that pollutes the rest of the country.

mmandley
02-03-2012, 11:01 AM
when bush left office oil was about 30 bucks a barrel, non of the oil companies could afford to do anything thus they slowed production down. I remember buying gas in the dec of 2008 that was 1.24 a gallon.

There has been a HUGE spike in NG activity all over north america due to new fracking technology making gas that was once out of reach now easily available. Hopefully the politicians will see the benefit of this and incorporate it into a new energy policy.

Right now tensions with IRAN are driving prices up. as soon as something gets figured out over there the prices should go down, we currently have a surplus so there is not a shortage as we are still in recovery mode from the recession.

the energy industry is one of the few where a high school graduate can work themselves up to 200k+ by retirement but even it is being infiltrated by the "need a degree" mentality that pollutes the rest of the country.

Wow 1.24 a gallon, i havnt seen those prices since i was out of highschool, and that was when you were prolly just starting school. Back in 91 that is.

Second the whole Mentality that you <Need a Degree> is something that should be inforced much more IMO. Back in the day a HS Dip meant something, now all it means is you lasted 12 years in school to get one. You can almost order a GED online now and dont even have to prove you were the one taking the tests.

I think any job above minimum wage should require a degree of some sort. This way it doesnt keep encouraging the youth to drop out of school early and get into trouble and or live off there folks. I think prices for degrees is way out of control, and all these shady schools charging 20K for a cracker box degree is stupid.

But i can speak first hand working for Intel <with an electrical engineering degree> i see tons of people espically from the Military, not knocking them just stating what i see, that shouldnt be hired because they dont have a degree. They know nothing about nothing but military stuff, yet they walk into Intel with the same credits as i spend many years earning and get paid the same as me.

I know lots of people are very smart, very worthy, and such with out degrees, but this is also one of the reason our country's education system is so crapy, and contributes to why teachers get paid so little, because everyone knows you can drop out of HS get a Online GED and goto College just the same.

I think if you drop out of HS and get a GED you should be able to persure higher education just the same but i think empoyers need to punish you a bit. Such as people with a real HS and Degree get paid more then a GED and Degree. Your HS Dip shows you stuck with it, did it the right way.

Ok ill stop now before i rant on, i got a whole slew of stuff to say but Wolfman would be busy editing my post.

dusty2221
02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it is because I do not have any type of degree.

mmandley
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it is because I do not have any type of degree.

I understand and im not surprised you wouldnt agree with me on this. Yet this is why i dont bring this stuff up on the forum, at the end of the day i dont care what education you have, i care that we are friends. When it comes to buisness, and such thats when i care. I care at the fact in my line of work you are required to have a degree, but if you spent 4 years in the military fueling a jet on a air craft carrier, you get hired for the same job at the same pay and dont know squat about what i know.

dusty2221
02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I feel ya, I think in lieu of a degree, experience in the related field should be equally important. You are right in regards to what you are dealing with, that's bs.

sandm
02-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Times are changing Mike and a high school diploma isn't what it once was. I'll side SOMEHWAT with rd on this one. there are schools online/charter schools that are offering much better educations than what you can get at a public school. heck, I know some homeschooled kids that know a whole lot more than 99% of those in the public sector.
my company looks for college degrees or relavent experience when seeking salaried people. I can guarantee that I know 100% more in my 25 years with this company in running a big box retail store/logistics/distribution than some 25y.o. kid out of college. sure, he's probably a lot more versed in english/literature/calculus and in some jobs, those do matter, but not every career out there needs schooling. heck, let me shadow you for 2 years as your intern and I bet I pick up on the job just as well as a guy that has a 4yr engineering degree. back in the day, that's how you learned. lot to be said for that.

mmandley
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Times are changing Mike and a high school diploma isn't what it once was. I'll side SOMEHWAT with rd on this one. there are schools online/charter schools that are offering much better educations than what you can get at a public school. heck, I know some homeschooled kids that know a whole lot more than 99% of those in the public sector.
my company looks for college degrees or relavent experience when seeking salaried people. I can guarantee that I know 100% more in my 25 years with this company in running a big box retail store/logistics/distribution than some 25y.o. kid out of college. sure, he's probably a lot more versed in english/literature/calculus and in some jobs, those do matter, but not every career out there needs schooling. heck, let me shadow you for 2 years as your intern and I bet I pick up on the job just as well as a guy that has a 4yr engineering degree. back in the day, that's how you learned. lot to be said for that.

I agree with you completly, i wish HS education was taken more seriously, and was pushed to be a lot better. Yea if you shadowed me for couple years prolly less you could do my exact job, but when it comes to troubleshooting thats when the real education begins. I hate teaching people how to troubleshoot problems because it always goes back to the basic operation of electrical motors, gears, valves, stuff you learn in electrical field schooling.

kaneboats
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I have a couple of them but I think everybody ought to be able to get what they can get -- degree or not. There's no automatics in this free society. I'm actually glad that in many fields they understand that experience counts for something. For a sales job, would you rather hire a kid with a liberal arts education or a guy that maybe served in the military and worked for 10 years?

sandm
02-03-2012, 12:11 PM
^depends on which one can lay on the bs deeper.... :)

mmandley
02-03-2012, 12:20 PM
I make them sell me on why they would be best. Or give them something crazy and tell them to make me want to buy it

jmb
02-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I hope you pick the military seein's how I did 20 yrs. Would hope it would account for something

mmandley
02-03-2012, 11:13 PM
I got much love for the military, i really do. My pop was 20 years, my Grandpa was X Military, i spent 12 yrs in military academy growing up. I guess my main thing is with this all is i dont care where your from, who you are, there are certain jobs that require experience in that field, or a degree.

I will say its irks me to no end to see X military people who dont even goto college, since the military pays for it. Every x military person that didnt do 20 should be getting a degree.

jpetty3023
02-04-2012, 12:10 PM
So how's the gas prices looking in everyone's neck of the woods!!

KG's Supra24
02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
So how's the gas prices looking in everyone's neck of the woods!!

Who cares, bring on the heat and ill pay whatever it cost!!!!!!!!

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0039.jpg

viking
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
GAS - I don't need no stinking GAS.
Diesel is below $4/gal so I'm happy :) Oh wait............boat take premium. I'll check in MAY!!

mmandley
02-04-2012, 08:08 PM
GAS - I don't need no stinking GAS.
Diesel is below $4/gal so I'm happy :) Oh wait............boat take premium. I'll check in MAY!!

Ditto on that

rdlangston13
02-05-2012, 12:35 AM
premium? ive never used premium in my boat...

sandm
02-05-2012, 09:35 AM
89 is all you need. 91/92/93 is a waste of money.

many many many studies done on using premium in cars/boats/mc's that do not require it and you are wasting money. premium is only for high compression or force fed motors in most cases..

you can actually do more harm than good by burning higher octane than what the engine was designed for. it doesn't burn clean.

mmandley
02-05-2012, 10:36 AM
In my neck of the woods, we have 3 choices. 87 which i wont run in my boat. 91 Non Ethanol which is what i run. #2 Diesel for the rig.

If im not in my little town when i buy fuel for the boat its always 89 as thats what it says to put in it.

rdlangston13
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
never used anything other than 87. never had a detonation issues that i know of. runs like a champ

sandm
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Most ecus can retard timing enough to make up for lower octane gas. Mightbe leaving a few hp on the table tho..

viking
02-05-2012, 02:41 PM
In my neck of the woods, we have 3 choices. 87 which i wont run in my boat. 91 Non Ethanol which is what i run. #2 Diesel for the rig.

If im not in my little town when i buy fuel for the boat its always 89 as thats what it says to put in it.

Ditto on that!!

Just one thing to add. Have had issues on 2 separate vehicle running 87 with ethanol and the engine light coming on. Put some good premium fuel in and takes care of the issue (DTC) warning.

matt75
02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
89 is all you need. 91/92/93 is a waste of money.

many many many studies done on using premium in cars/boats/mc's that do not require it and you are wasting money. premium is only for high compression or force fed motors in most cases..

you can actually do more harm than good by burning higher octane than what the engine was designed for. it doesn't burn clean.

Ditto-

My second vehicle is supercharged. If you use regular and stomp on it…good luck. I use stabil ethanol treatment and will top off a 3/4 tank in the boat with 93. Otherwise, regular it is.

rdlangston13
02-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Ditto-

My second vehicle is supercharged. If you use regular and stomp on it…good luck. I use stabil ethanol treatment and will top off a 3/4 tank in the boat with 93. Otherwise, regular it is.

matt, key word there is supercharged, your combustion chamber pressures are much higher than that of a NA engine. maybe next fill up I will use premium in the ole moomba and see if there is a diff

sandm
02-10-2012, 03:28 PM
rd, if you are using the recommended 89, you will not see any difference in the performance of the boat. seen enough sites that show it will have no noticeable benefits in the performance, especially since you're only source of data is "seat of the pants".

now internals are another story..

there's tons of websites out there that have facts stating both ways; that using higher octane fuels is ok and that using higher octane fuels can be bad for the internals in the long run.

I have no personal experience one way or the other, but I'll chose to save the coin and use what the manufacturer recommends. there's a reason they spec 89 octane for the boat and not 87 or 92/93.

brain_rinse
02-10-2012, 03:50 PM
The problem we have is that 89 here is always an ethanol blend, so it's either 87 or 91.

rdlangston13
02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I've never used anything other than 87. Didn't even know 89 was recommended. Here everything has ethanol in it.

bzubke1
02-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I've was checking out the new indmar site and it looks like all of their new 330hp and 345hp are designed for regular unleaded.

Hoopskier
02-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I've was checking out the new indmar site and it looks like all of their new 330hp and 345hp are designed for regular unleaded.

I also checked out the web site and noticed in the pictures of the engines they have changed the exhaust manifolds. Yes they now have cats standard, but the tubing from the heads to the cats is no longer water jacketed. Along with some other evolutionary changes.

On mine, Indmar calls for 89, I usually run 87 w/o any problems. I may run 89 or higher towards the end of the season to get the enthanol level down in the tank. The higher octane stuff is usually ethanol free depending on the station.

Currently regular 87 is $3.50 gal. I hope it stays under $4 for the summer.

matt75
02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
I hope it's under 3.50 as well. If not- I'm not going to be so excited filling up all of the ballast every outing.

rdlangston13
02-12-2012, 05:18 PM
I find it odd that the higher octane fuels have less or no ethanol content in some of yalls states. Ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline which is why some E85 vehicles generate more horsepower with E85 than they do with regular E10. The higher octane rating of the E85 allows them to advance timing and squeeze a few extra hp out. I would think that 91 or 93 octane gasoline would contain just as much ethanol as 87.