PDA

View Full Version : Am I hosed?

bkearney
01-16-2012, 02:51 PM
My son and wife decided to change a tire on the trailer. It got loose, and the rim ate through the lug nut posts. In the process, the rim holes got bored out a bit. Is there anything like a lug net extender which I can use to salvage the rim?

kaneboats
01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
You could swap that rim out with your spare and only use that one in emergency situations. It would probably work in a pinch if your lugs are tight.

zabooda
01-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Those wheels are quite common so you could get a replacement at a tire shop.

KSmith
01-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Like Kane said that rim might be usable for an emergency, no way would I run that rim more than a few miles in an emergency at very slow speeds. As Zabooda notes they are pretty common rims and shouldn't be very expensive to replace. Lots cheaper than having the rim fly off the hub while under tow. Personally I'd get a replacement and junk that rim, just wouldn't be worth the risk to me. I have had a wheel come off a single axle boat trailer before, not pretty, not pretty at all... however it does provide a moment of great wonder when it passes you on the road...

sandm
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
bought a rim just like that from les schwab here. ran me $79 plus tax.

wouldn't be worth the worry on my trailer for what amounts to a tank of gas..

mmandley
01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
My son and wife decided to change a tire on the trailer. It got loose, and the rim ate through the lug nut posts. In the process, the rim holes got bored out a bit. Is there anything like a lug net extender which I can use to salvage the rim?

Same as the guys above posted but also make sure you threads on the studs are not damaged. I assume your buying new lug nuts?

lsvboombox
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
For 80 bucks I wouldn't risk damage to the boat and trailer. Just get a new rim. The studs can be replaced easily if the are damaged.

bergermaister
01-17-2012, 04:56 PM
I picked one up off ebay for even cheaper - white, but the chromies were in the $60 range w/ shipping.

Studs are cheap - just ask Dusty's mom.