PDA

View Full Version : New tower on Outback

sled - 1
01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
OK, as most of you know from my past I am a 98% of the time skier and 2% surfer in my Outback. When I ordered my boat back in 07 never even thought of a tower.

So here are my questions; can that new tower on the Outback be put on my 07?

2, I have heard that the factory occasionally has scratch and dent stuff, how would I go about findig out if they have a scratch and dent tower I could buy off them for a reasonable price?

My divorce is sucking me dry so price is paramont.

viking
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
Sled,
I'm assuming you're talking about the new OZ tower? I don't see why you couldn't use it?
The only thing I would worry about (especially since you slalom so much) is the clearance of the rope with that tower. It has been discussed on here before and can't remember if anybody said it was an issue or not?

I think you can still get the Rad-a-cage as an option though.

Just a thought!

maxpower220
01-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Also, look under the gunwale of your boat sides. The factory glasses in support structures to aid with the stresses of the tower. It probably has them there in your boat. If they are not there (or in the wrong spot for the tower you get), you may want to glass in some yourself.

deerfield
01-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Sled - Good point by Maxpower. Check under the gunwales to see if the factory already glassed in support plates for a tower. Even if it did, like mine, the plates may not be properly positioned and will require relocation to be effective. I have the Rad a Cage tower and really like its form and function. - Deerfield

pmoomba
01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
If you're interested in the new Oz tower you might see if you can get a test ski behind one at a dealer, as depending on how short you go the tower might interfere. It doesn't look like you have to get all that short for that to happen, but don't think anyone's reported an actual test yet.

skiyaker
01-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Sled you're a proficient enough skier I'll bet my turn island that tower will be in your way- look how far back that thing is. If you troll youtube for videos of malibus or the sport nautique with the forward swept tower those things are getting in the way at modest line lengths and the malibu isn't set as far back as the OZ. Notice how in the promo video the camera angles avoid the issue. Plus, even if you're a recreational skier looking at an outback with the OZ tower, there's a good chance when you go to sell it you'll be looking for a buyer who is a die hard skier and won't want that style of tower. IMHO with the oz tower they've taken a very capeable ski boat and made it less functional.

Anyways if I end up ordering an outback I'll get the rad-a-cage tower.

sled - 1
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Hmmm, all good points thanks. Why couldn't you move the tower more forward. I'm talking out my a#$ now as I can't remember how far forward it slopes. I like the lookes of the Rad a cage but would like something a bit beefier, again maybe just talking out my a#$

Hoopskier
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Why couldn't you move the tower more forward.

If you were to move the mounting area forward, I would gues that being a forward folding design, when you try to lower the tower it would no longer fit behind the windshield. The tower would now sit on the windshield when in the down position.

I have been a fan of the Rad-a-cage look, but some days I wish the tower was alittle more solid. I would think there would be lots of options if you are starting with a blank slate.

riderite
01-16-2012, 07:05 PM
A custom built reverse swoop FX1 by Star One Wake, custom built to side mount might be a good option for you.

moombadaze
01-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Kenan, gotta ask this, why do you want to add a tower?

sled - 1
01-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Daze, simple, kids :)

Also never going to be able to get a V drive on my lift due to shallow approach and until I see an economy that doesn't suck again and I'm back to where I was 2 boats isn't an option either.

For my little lake my outback does fair loaded up with ballast and that's how it has to be. Can we surf with out a tower yes, but it's so much easier to get up with a tower and makes sitting in the back of the boat an option when we're out surfing.

Any pics of this Swoop FX1?

wolfeman131
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Anyways if I end up ordering an outback I'll get the rad-a-cage tower.

I'm trying to get a hard core slalom guy out for a demo next weekend to answer the question on the Oz tower b/c I don't see the rad-a-cage as a tower option in the 2012 catalog. I believe that the only choice on the Outback is the Oz and I also remeber hearing that all the boats come with a tower now, so even no tower isn't an option.

I'll try and get clarification from SC.

moombadaze
01-17-2012, 08:05 AM
I could swear Rick T said the rad a cage was a option-just not listed.

Kenan, kinda figured it was for the kids. Anyway you really need to see one in person-the oz tower on a outback as I really dont think you will want it for skiing. Look into a rad a cage or a aftermarket tower

pmoomba
01-17-2012, 09:51 AM
Get an extended pylon and let the kids board from that while still keeping that sleek ski boat look :) Also saves on the cash. I'm looking into replacing my OBV with a DD of some sort and don't really want a tower. Most of our boating can be from a dock though so I don't necessarily have to store a ton of gear. I ever start pulling a lot of wakeboarders (or kids grow up and want to), I'll probably just pick up an extended pylon. You can always get racks for those too.

Rick definitely said on the forums that the Rad-a-cage was an option, and I think it's in the boat configurator too.

kaneboats
01-17-2012, 10:03 AM
He said the rad a cage is an option and that you can still order your Outback with no tower.

pmoomba
01-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah I was quoted -1200 for no tower, just as an FYI.

riderite
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Any pics of this Swoop FX1?

PM me your email address and I can sent you a couple pictures..

ryan_8099
01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
So I assume you might have already thought about this, but what about a monster tower? They are still on sale, MT1s -$799, MT2s $999. They also came out with the MTk this year that is a forward swooping tower. I actually like the look of the Mt1/2 towers over some of the newer towers that companies have come out with and definitely the old ones. Just a thought...unless you were dead set on a forward swooper directly from SC

deerfield
01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Get an extended pylon .... while still keeping that sleek ski boat look :) Also saves on the cash.

Sled - pmoomba makes a couple of good points. Sleek look and saving on cash are valid. But, I gotta say that the Rad a Cage tower has been a great asset to our Outback. In addition to holding skis and wakeboards, it's a great place to hang and dry towels and life jackets. Boat stays pretty clutter-free. Would be difficult to duplicate with just an extended pylon. - Deerfield

wolfeman131
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
You guys were correct! I heard back from SC that you can order an Outback without a tower (saving about $1,000), with a rad-a-cage for those that want to slalom or with the Oz. Not real sure why you'd want the Oz as they did confirm it would interfere, and if you're buying that boat, I'd guess you're a slalom skier. Maybe they allow that for folks looking for the the price point and looks.

Garn
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
That new tower on a slalom boat? I don't get it at all. As you go up the rope that tower will 100% certain be in the way. And besides that, its butt ugly! I just don't get what Moomba is doing with that Oz tower on the Outback. I would get it without the tower and then put a different tower on it.

Garn

sled - 1
01-18-2012, 02:29 PM
So I went to the boat builder site and you are offered either tower, so I guess that answers that. I like the extension idea and have even toyed with the idea once or twice.

I do like the look of the forward swept towers and personally I do like the Oz tower but from feedback and looking at the pics it is not an option for a family that skies 95% of the time.

I live on the lake and am not worried about having too much in the boat for the day, although that being said, sure seems like my boat is always full of stuff :) Must be the gang of kids that always seem to be with me...other that dedicated "guys ski time".

Man get a divorce and start dating and every woman has a bunch of kids that want to hang on the lake, sheesh!

bergermaister
01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Man get a divorce and start dating and every woman has a bunch of kids that want to hang on the lake, sheesh!

"Mom's got a cool boyfriend"
Bwa ha ha. Been there...!

sled - 1
01-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Right!!!

I'm not telling any secrets here, half the time they aren't even the womans kids, I think they're the womans neighbours kids hahaha

NCSUmoomba
01-18-2012, 03:49 PM
If you are interested in the "stock looking" tower, the New Dimension folks have one that is VERY similar to the later model (second generation) Outback Rad-A-Cage.

sled - 1
01-18-2012, 10:04 PM
If you are interested in the "stock looking" tower, the New Dimension folks have one that is VERY similar to the later model (second generation) Outback Rad-A-Cage.

How much?

Bullet Lines has a very similar one as well and much heavier for around 1k

NCSUmoomba
01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Website says $1895, but you might could haggle with them? It is also an made to fit and looks exactly like the stock XTP unit.

I have never been a big fan of the "universal" towers, although I have not been exposed to that many. My buddy had a Monster Tower on his boat and he never could get it to stop squeaking. It appears that since the joints area designed to be so flexible to fit multiple boats, they loose rigidity in at least one direction.

PatL
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Sled, I just wanted to weigh in to say I've found the extended pylon works great for us. We are mostly slalom skiers but for surfing (which i do very poorly) and occasional wakeboarding it works gr8t. We also use it when the kids are just skiing on combos to open up the rear seat in the boat. I've been very happy with that solution for my situation and if surfing/skiing are your interests I think its a great affordable solution. Pat

viking
01-20-2012, 10:58 PM
You guys were correct! I heard back from SC that you can order an Outback without a tower (saving about $1,000), with a rad-a-cage for those that want to slalom or with the Oz. Not real sure why you'd want the Oz as they did confirm it would interfere, and if you're buying that boat, I'd guess you're a slalom skier. Maybe they allow that for folks looking for the the price point and looks.

I knew it was going to be a problem. Still make me shake my head. That makes no sense at all ............... a ski boat with a tower that doesn't let you ski! WOW

skiyaker
01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
I knew it was going to be a problem. Still make me shake my head. That makes no sense at all ............... a ski boat with a tower that doesn't let you ski! WOW

as my grandpa would have said- that new tower is as useless as 7its on a boar

I priced a new outback through my dealer- no charge for going with the Rad-a-cage vs the ox tower- but no cost savings either- base price on the outback is 39k without options- and looking online if you want the ox instead of rad-a-cage you have to order it so I'm wondering who is going to buy all the ones they produce with the ox tower? Maybe I'll wait until next year and pickup a leftover 2012 that won't sell because of the useless tower- then take the tower off. Or for the difference between my OBV and a new OB I can buy a pretty nice second boat just to ski behind.

wolfeman131
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I appreciate the position of you guys that are hard core slalom skiers, but I think you are overlooking the fact that the Outback is a great entry-level, price point boat for those moving from an IO to an inboard. The Outback is a great ski boat, but is also very capable of having a very serviceable wakeboard wake and surf wave. For what its worth, you could make the same argument as the tower for the GI ballast system available on the Outback.

So, maybe not as useless as you all might think. Even for the boar:

http://flashweb.com/blog/2008/05/useless-as-tits-on-a-boar.html

BensonWdby
01-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Sled - I have a Skylon that came with my Mobius - but the guy had added a Rad-a-cage aftermarket. So Ihave this extended pylon that has been sitting useless for 10 years looking for a good home. I may have misplaced the cabling, but if you want to try it you can have it ... Just gotta come and get it

So right after I posted this I realized that there is one person I need to checkwith before I can give the Skylon it's walking papers - but if you are interested let me know.

viking
01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
I appreciate the position of you guys that are hard core slalom skiers, but I think you are overlooking the fact that the Outback is a great entry-level, price point boat for those moving from an IO to an inboard. The Outback is a great ski boat, but is also very capable of having a very serviceable wakeboard wake and surf wave. For what its worth, you could make the same argument as the tower for the GI ballast system available on the Outback.

Wolfman,
That's exactly why I bought the outback in the first place. Primarily a "skier" but with a growing family I wanted the ability to get into wakeboarding and surfing - which my moomba allows us to do pretty well. And my budget wouldn't allow a Supra20SSV that I wanted. That being said, the boat would still be an entry level price point boat WITH the rad-a-cage. Nothing about the new tower changes the price DOWN?

It's like putting FIXED wakeboard/surfboard racks on a tower that interfere with the rope when your wakeboarding..........makes no sense. Especially if there is no real cost savings of doing so!!

Just my anal .02

skiyaker
01-21-2012, 01:04 PM

So, maybe not as useless as you all might think. Even for the boar:

how is the argument the same for the GI ballast system- the new tower limits its functionality as a ski boat by interfering with the ski rope even at modest line lengths. Will the ballast system prevent me from using the boat as a real ski boat? Can't I just empty it and ski down the course just the same? I should not have said the new tower is useless- instead it is detrimental to the boats best function.

wolfeman131
01-21-2012, 01:27 PM
- instead it is detrimental to the boats best function.

Only if you're someone that defines "best function" as slalom skiing. Recreational water skiing can still be done with the Oz as well as all others that I can think of: wake boarding, kneeboarding, wakesurfing, tubing. All the things that family that is new to inboards might like to do. And they may think the low cost/payment is the "best function" of the boat. They may think the Oz tower looks better and/or makes their boat look like a higher priced boat.

skiyaker
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Drew-what's the base on a OBV this year? I suppose you're correct that if there's a significant cost savings with the direct drive over a V drive there might be a few that will take the DD over the VD to save cost- but for those with multisport in mind who are casual skiers the OBV will still serve that function better. And with a few options the DD outback is well into the $40s so I'm thinking those spending 40k on a new boat are likely to spend a few k more for the v-drive unless they have die-hard skiing in mind. And those with die hard skiing in mind won't want the new tower. In the end the sales figures will let SC know who's right.

Still, this post was started by Sled who (correct me if I'm wrong) is probably the shortest line length skier around here.

BensonWdby
01-21-2012, 02:37 PM
On occasion I have taken a shot at the course at 28 off. And I have been known to go a short as 41 off in open water (just for kicks). I have spent a lot of time at 38 off in open water, but now that I have regular access to a course it is back to the real world. From everything I have heard so far I would not consider a boat with something that allows rope contact during skiing to be a viable option. At that point it is no longer a ski boat.

wolfeman131
01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
The cost differential is only about $5k, but for some folks, that is a huge difference especially when they are contemplating between an IO, jet boat and inboard. I experienced this at the show.

Here is my theory: the Oz looks better to the younger crowd that has less $$ to spend on a boat. Its easy to market & sell to them. The boats they purchase allow the Outback to remain a viable model for SC to offer and without their numbers, the Outback would go the way of the LS.

Yes, Sled asked the original question and we've gone a bit off topic. My points were only made to provide an alternative perspective to the view that SC is a bunch of idiots for putting the Oz tower on the Outback. I've found over my years dealing with the manufacturing and marketing of products, there is usually some sound rationale for the decisions that companies make. It doesn't always turn our perfect, but there are reasons why they do what they do.

Mikey
01-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Personally i think They S#$% the bed on this one. Why don't they fess up and say so and actually fix the problem. Either modify the tower or discontinue its use on this ONE Boat model only as its The Only True skiboat in SC's lineup.
Unless you get a real newbbie who's only looking to get into this type of boat based 100% on price. Someone sooner or later is gonna be real unhappy,thinking they bought a Factory boat,with a TRUE BRAINFART IDEA.

Maybe somone from SC can come on and explain ?What? WERE? THEY? THINKING?

sled - 1
01-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Man turn my back for a minute and things are out of control. I had a chance this past weekend to view a new outback with the oz tower. I looked long and hard at the angle from the pylon to the back corner of the oz tower. Personally I think we're talking inches here. But here nor there I may take Dave up on his offer if the extension is available.

On another note, while at the Milwaukee boat show I had my eyes opened. I think either SC is letting there marketing model get away from them or every one else is catching on. You can get a Malibou Response for 43k, Mastercraft Prostar for 49k, and the Moomba is 40k. I saw a Tige' 22 ft V drive for 49K as well, yikes. With the some people having a negative impression of the Moomba name and a brand Like Malibou coming in with there ski boat for just a couple K more I'm sure some SC business will start to go with the big brand names.

wolfeman131
01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
sled, you sure you were comparing "apples to apples?"

I ask only b/c in Atlanta, they 'bu dealer put their price standard for a ride facing the Mojo so they could show their $57k boat vs Moomba's $55k boat. HOWEVER, their price didn't include the trailer!

sled - 1
01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Close enough for me. Prices were with trailer, now no tower on the bu or the MC, but all were pretty much appointed after that the same

pmoomba
02-23-2012, 11:36 AM
In terms of aftermarket swoop type towers, I think this one from Monster Tower is new. I don't remember seeing it before.

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-149-mtk-universal-wakeboard-tower.aspx

usaski1
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
The stock tower rad a cage, I don't like... I would even consider selling it from my boat for the right price? Its nearly new, with less than 1 summers use on it so far. I jsut want a tower that will fold back, not forward, and not interfere with slalom.

skiyaker
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
the supra s bend tower looks pretty close to the tower that Nautique puts on their ski boats. It looks like it sits forward enough to not interfere with slalom. I'm guessing it will eventually find its way onto the outback.

ian ashton
02-23-2012, 07:59 PM
the supra s bend tower looks pretty close to the tower that Nautique puts on their ski boats. It looks like it sits forward enough to not interfere with slalom. I'm guessing it will eventually find its way onto the outback.

It IS the same tower, made by Roswell.

Cheesedip.